The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Any reason not to buy Focal Twin 6's? Studio Monitors
Old 18th February 2008
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Any reason not to buy Focal Twin 6's?

Got $3,000 to spend, using in a 12x15 treated control room, currently using KRK V6's (version 1). Also considered the Adam P33's.

Thanks.
Old 18th February 2008
  #2
No reason not to buy them. Go for it. You'll love em'.
Old 18th February 2008
  #3
TML
Lives for gear
 

Had Dyn bm15a's. When the Focal twins arrived it was like.... I can't believed I used these. Now this sounds more like their supposed to when I eq them. I got the sub... but many will tell you they go down enough. My room isn't the best so I opted for it to check the bottom end ocasiionally ay moderate volumes as to not excite to many modes.
Tim
Old 18th February 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
stevetgn's Avatar
Had my Twins about six months now. The "new toy novelty factor" has never worn off!
Excellent tools for the job!
Old 18th February 2008
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Stick's Avatar
 

Diggin' 'em here.
Old 18th February 2008
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Absent1's Avatar
 

I have about the same size room and love them. The only problem I have with them is that when I write and track I have to fix the eq immediately. That is not really a bad thing though. They are one of my better purchases over all and I will get the sub only because I am a ***** like that.
Old 18th February 2008
  #7
Gear Head
 

I've had mine since November 2007. These things are great, and they look good too! My mixes translate with no problems.
Old 19th February 2008
  #8
Gear Maniac
 

I can only think of one good reason...

You can scrounge enough money to get the 11's instead

With the matching sub of course...
Old 19th February 2008
  #9
Gear Nut
 

Having them in a same sized room for 6 months now (i was using HR824 before that), and my mixes have never been so good, I don't need anymore to check them on 3 different systems to be confident about how they translate. You'll not regret it for a second.
Old 19th February 2008
  #10
Gear Nut
 
starfightstudio's Avatar
 

If ya got the $$$, DIVE IN!!!
LOVE MINE, if my ears could smile...they would.
Old 19th February 2008
  #11
TSM
Gear Addict
 
TSM's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaNeT View Post
Having them in a same sized room for 6 months now (i was using HR824 before that), and my mixes have never been so good, I don't need anymore to check them on 3 different systems to be confident about how they translate. You'll not regret it for a second.
Ditto, Had 824's , now my mixes translate so well I don't bother playing them on different systems. Money well spent.
Old 19th February 2008
  #12
Gear Addict
 
van Overhalen's Avatar
 

The only reason to buy Focal Twins should be that you have heard them in person
in your room, made some mixes on them and found that they work for you, no?
Old 19th February 2008
  #13
Lives for gear
 
TheMarqueeYears's Avatar
 

You MUST try them in your studio first. Do not buy them based on "any forum fan club"

Van Overhalen is right.

I had a pair for a week and thought they were good value for money - but personally found the berylluim tweeters did not match my personal hearing response and sensitivity.

Other will tell you they come good after your have changed your volume contoller and had the mains filtered and stabilised and run through gold plated contacts ets etc. tutt

I think they need to sound right for you on a fundimental level - they have a certain sound you will either like or not.

**** Try before you buy ****

That's the only advice I would listen to.

TMY
Old 19th February 2008
  #14
Gear Addict
 
Zuewi's Avatar
 

Any reason not to buy Focal Twin 6's -->if you doesn't like them at auditon and maybe your wife who can use the money better for cloths shopping heh
Old 19th February 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Andrew Kinsey's Avatar
 

berylluim is poisonous, and can kill you.
I still own a pair though and they sound great!

Old 19th February 2008
  #16
Gear Head
 

I just upgraded 2 months ago from KRK V8s with S12 sub and i really like them. I feel like the music is much more alive and natural. I tried them for a full month before buying. Not looking back now!

Tibasse
Old 19th February 2008
  #17
Gear Addict
 
Marineville's Avatar
 

I tried them, really liked them, preferred the K+H 0300Ds and bought them instead. NEVER buy speakers without living wth them for a week or so.

Would you buy a car without a test drive because a bunch of people on a website said it was a good car?
Old 19th February 2008
  #18
Lives for gear
 
DSD_Mastering's Avatar
I have the Twins in a 5.1 config and just love them.
But... try them in your OWN room. People that have listened to them in MY room have all liked them.
Monitors are a personal taste...

Regards,
Bruce
Old 19th February 2008
  #19
Lives for gear
 
TheMarqueeYears's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineville View Post
I tried them, really liked them, preferred the K+H 0300Ds and bought them instead. NEVER buy speakers without living wth them for a week or so.

Would you buy a car without a test drive because a bunch of people on a website said it was a good car?
Hey Marineville - I did the same, ended up with the K&H 0300's after trying the Focals - it was the incredibly tight and accurate bass on the Hums that did it for me (love those infinate baffled cabs)

Q. Do you use the sub 0800 with them or do you find the 0300's are enough on their own?

I don't do dance stuff so maybe it's overkill?

Cheers
TMY
Old 20th February 2008
  #20
Lives for gear
 
andrew montreal's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
You MUST try them in your studio first. Do not buy them based on "any forum fan club"

Van Overhalen is right.

I had a pair for a week and thought they were good value for money - but personally found the berylluim tweeters did not match my personal hearing response and sensitivity.

Other will tell you they come good after your have changed your volume contoller and had the mains filtered and stabilised and run through gold plated contacts ets etc. tutt

I think they need to sound right for you on a fundimental level - they have a certain sound you will either like or not.

**** Try before you buy ****

That's the only advice I would listen to.

TMY
Hi there TMY,

I apologize if I am incorrectly assuming that you are referring to my experience, but my experience was quite reasonable.

It was unfair to speak of the Focals when the audio signal was going through a Mackie board before. It goes without saying that whatever lies in the signal path is heard coming out of the monitors. Some elements are minor, some are major. I certainly cannot speak for the Mackie Big Knob, but without a doubt, the combination of the Focals with a cheap Mackie board as volume controler was a horrid experience. Once the Mackie was replaced, I found myself really enjoying the Focal Solo6 Be's. Gone was the aggressive sibilance. And at that price, if money is a factor, they are really hard to beat - from my experience.

Now as for the power conditioner affair, I was not saying that the Focals needed it more than any other link in my recording/monitoring chain. I was explaining that I realized just how bad the power was in my home and that I DEFINITELY needed to have a better conditioner, not just for my monitors, but for my preamps, my converters, my synths. The experience really blew me away.

All that aside though, I agree with what everyone is saying: whoever is putting good money down on a piece of equipment, test the crap out of it. You will never know how you really feel about it till your ears, mind, and spirit experience the sound of it, whatever that "it" may be.
Old 20th February 2008
  #21
Gear Addict
 
Marineville's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarqueeYears View Post
Hey Marineville - I did the same, ended up with the K&H 0300's after trying the Focals - it was the incredibly tight and accurate bass on the Hums that did it for me (love those infinate baffled cabs)

Q. Do you use the sub 0800 with them or do you find the 0300's are enough on their own?

I don't do dance stuff so maybe it's overkill?

Cheers
TMY
I did have the 0800 sub and it sounded wonderful until something went bang and K+H took it away to look at. I've been using the 0300Ds on their own for the past three weeks and to be totally honest I haven't really missed the sub that much. Amazingly tight and punchy speakers! They emailed the other day to ask if I still wanted the sub (it was with me on demo) and I am in two minds as to whether I want it back.
Old 20th February 2008
  #22
I agree with the try them in your own room. I ended up with the solo 6's. They sounded tighter and the mixes translated better. But that was in my room. Lipinski's were better but I couldn't pony up that much dough at the time...
Old 20th February 2008
  #23
Lives for gear
 
TheMarqueeYears's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marineville View Post
I did have the 0800 sub and it sounded wonderful until something went bang and K+H took it away to look at. I've been using the 0300Ds on their own for the past three weeks and to be totally honest I haven't really missed the sub that much. Amazingly tight and punchy speakers! They emailed the other day to ask if I still wanted the sub (it was with me on demo) and I am in two minds as to whether I want it back.
Oh that's sounds positive - I was hoping not to have to get the sub - as I am eyeing up other slutty stuff at the moment!

I noticed you also hang out on the SOS forum - seems like a nice place, I have always valued the opinion of Hugh Robjohns - he's old school ex-BBC
(no school like the old school)

Best
TMY
Old 20th February 2008
  #24
Gear Nut
 
stasvt's Avatar
 

with what control your repleaced the mackie big knob? ive got twin6 runing thru a big knob and im not realy happy with that setup.


Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew montreal View Post
Hi there TMY,

I apologize if I am incorrectly assuming that you are referring to my experience, but my experience was quite reasonable.

It was unfair to speak of the Focals when the audio signal was going through a Mackie board before. It goes without saying that whatever lies in the signal path is heard coming out of the monitors. Some elements are minor, some are major. I certainly cannot speak for the Mackie Big Knob, but without a doubt, the combination of the Focals with a cheap Mackie board as volume controler was a horrid experience. Once the Mackie was replaced, I found myself really enjoying the Focal Solo6 Be's. Gone was the aggressive sibilance. And at that price, if money is a factor, they are really hard to beat - from my experience.

Now as for the power conditioner affair, I was not saying that the Focals needed it more than any other link in my recording/monitoring chain. I was explaining that I realized just how bad the power was in my home and that I DEFINITELY needed to have a better conditioner, not just for my monitors, but for my preamps, my converters, my synths. The experience really blew me away.

All that aside though, I agree with what everyone is saying: whoever is putting good money down on a piece of equipment, test the crap out of it. You will never know how you really feel about it till your ears, mind, and spirit experience the sound of it, whatever that "it" may be.
Old 20th February 2008
  #25
Lives for gear
 
jchadstopherhuez's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stasvt View Post
with what control your repleaced the mackie big knob? ive got twin6 runing thru a big knob and im not realy happy with that setup.
lose the big knob !!!

seriously. i have one. it CHANGES the sound.

a great little tool for tracking on small setups...or remote deals. if you have monitors like the focals...you are killin it by using the big knob...

find a passive volume system like coleman audio.

or presonus central station..(on a budget)...or spl monitor controller or crane song avocet if you can afford it.

you will like ANY speakers better when your signal path is not going through the big knob.

its a nice little box for the $$..but it is NOT a serious, clean, monitor controller.

best,

jchristopherhughes
Old 20th February 2008
  #26
Gear Nut
 
stasvt's Avatar
 

yes i know, i connected the focals yesterday directly to the fireface400 and it did sound better.

what about the dengerous monitor st or the d-box?

or the spl monitor control?

i think non of those are passive

thanks
Old 20th February 2008
  #27
Lives for gear
 
andrew montreal's Avatar
I am now using a borrowed Dangerous D-Box. It actually belongs to the Focal representative. I will be testing it against Mackie's Big Knob (at this point I have only tried their REALLY Big Knob known as the 1642-VLZ Pro multichannel volume control ) and SPL's Monitor & Talkback Controller.
Old 20th February 2008
  #28
Gear Nut
 
stasvt's Avatar
 

update us asap about the bigknob vs d-box
you will test the spl monitor control or did u alrady tested it ?

thanks
Old 20th February 2008
  #29
Gear Head
 
Andy Spence's Avatar
 

Can;t give you one reason to not buy them but I can give you the best reason TO buy them.

I can't think or find anything in the same price bracket that's better than them. This is constantly reinforced on these and other forums where they are constantly compared and pitted against the o300d (which cost twice as much)

That in itself should give you some idea what you're getting for the money.


Trial them, they won't dissapoint you, your room might.
Old 24th February 2008
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
trakk's Avatar
 

Wow that Avocet looks pretty cool, but I think I'm going with The Equinox in conjunction with the Twins.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
TML / High End
59
TSM / The Good News Channel
2
Midiguy / So Much Gear, So Little Time
9
Larrysings / So Much Gear, So Little Time
11
fuzzface777 / So Much Gear, So Little Time
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump