The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Avedis MA5 Who Has Them
Old 16th February 2008
Lives for gear

Recently added (2) MA5s to this rack in my new studio. Regardless of color (although I do like the red)...They rock.
I'm really enjoying them on electric guitars and drums.
Very solid build.
Attached Thumbnails
Avedis MA5 Who Has Them-rack.jpg  
Old 16th February 2008
Lives for gear

Jamz!! That's quite the rack you have!!
Old 18th February 2008
Lives for gear

Just placed my order for a pair from Tony @ High Profile. So stoked! (but now I have to survive the waiting)
Old 18th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Just placed my order for a pair from Tony @ High Profile. So stoked! (but now I have to survive the waiting)
You're waiting on the Jensen transformers. Well worth the wait. You will love your pres when you get them. I am enjoying mine on everything from acoustic guitars to loud electric guitars to bass. Vocals are amazing and I haven't even started playing with the 28K switch yet.
Old 19th February 2008
Lives for gear

johnny, add some mp3s for us !!
Old 19th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
No can do. These tracks are works in progress for a signed artist but if you are in the market, I noticed we're almost neighbors and would be more than happy to give you a listen and a demo at my studio. I see you're in Blainville. I'm in Laval just beside the 15. PM if you want to take me up on the offer.
Old 19th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpkyer View Post
There are a couple threads here from James Lugo that feature the MA5. John Kennedy has one comparing it to a BA 1073, and somewhere there is a comparison between the Great River and the MA5.
(BTW, in these shootouts, I preferred the MA5 over the GR, Pacifica, Wunder PAFour, 1272, 512, and BA 312. For me, the only stiff competition was the LTD-1 and the BA 1073.)
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

I'm awaiting a pair of MA5's also. Come on, Jensen; git er done!
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelPatrick View Post
I'm always looking for magic in recording classical ensembles in live acoustic settings. What I've read so far says this might work. I'm disappointed by a Pacifica I recently bought for this purpose. .....
I can't imagine why or how Pacificas would disapoint for classical in live acoustic settings.

Were you running pad in or pad out?

and - what mics?

and - how good is the acoustic space?
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjellybean View Post
No can do. These tracks are works in progress for a signed artist but if you are in the market, I noticed we're almost neighbors and would be more than happy to give you a listen and a demo at my studio. I see you're in Blainville. I'm in Laval just beside the 15. PM if you want to take me up on the offer.
Great thanks for the offer. I'll PM ya.
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

Teamwork!!!
Old 20th February 2008
500 series nutjob

awesome~
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

anyone know the eta on these being ready/in stock? i'm ready to buy!
Old 20th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickencoop View Post
anyone know the eta on these being ready/in stock? i'm ready to buy!
If ordered today.... Approximately 2-3 weeks.

If ordered in 2-3 weeks, probably longer.

I've ordered most of the next couple months worth of MA5 supply. At this point, the ETA entirely depends on Jensen's ability to deliver more output transformers.
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post

I've ordered most of the next couple months worth of MA5 supply. At this point, the ETA entirely depends on Jensen's ability to deliver more output transformers.
God speed, Jenson. God speed.
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

yep-- i've joined the list of those waiting. go jensen!
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

I'm probably going to order a second pair before I get the first pair! Depends on the flow, though. Just got a pair of P1's and I'm looking for an EM Blue (anyone?) so cash is tight. Funny thing is I have my tighty whitey's in a bunch over the MA5's based solely on user experience/comments. Hope they don't disappoint. Yes, Godspeed Jensen!
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth View Post
I don't know if the MA5 will suite you for this source [e.g. live acoustic ensembles] either, maybe the Purple Biz or the API 512c.
Thanks. I'm sure they're great for tracking. All this makes me wonder what I'm missing by not working in a studio with lots of gear options.
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post
I can't imagine why or how Pacificas would disapoint for classical in live acoustic settings.

Were you running pad in or pad out?

and - what mics?

and - how good is the acoustic space?
Pad: Tried both ways. Mostly out, though I don't recall laying tracks with it out.
Mics: Josephson C617set, Lawson L47Fet, AEA R88, Schoeps CMC641.
Room: A very nice university recital hall.

Don't get me wrong, it's an awesome preamp. If I did studio tracking with a variety of sources I'd never give it up.

I just do a different kind of work and, more to-the-point, I have a different point of reference. It's a matter of tools and tastes; on a continuum from hyper-transparent to very-colored the Pacifica is too colored.

My mixes are almost always ambient with a stereo main that determines the mix. I mix for a good soundstage with separation for every instrument. Fitting in the mix is good, standing out is usually a bad thing.

Of course all mics and pres interpret sound to a degree. I like those that don't bring a really strong personality to the party. While I'm comfortable interpreting the music a little, I don't want to be a creative element. The classical artists I serve can hear if I've changed the sound of their instrument and I can't afford to have them thinking of me as a potluck recordist; i.e. they never know what they'll get, or they always get flavor x, y or z.

The Pacifica boosts and smooths upper mids in a way that's flattering to some sources. I seems to faithfully recreate a particular 70s style of film score recording. After trying it, it's not what I want to give my clients. I do like the Focusrite Red 8 because it has character without a sound of its own.

FWIW, these preamps work well in my formula:

Anything LaChapell -- I have two 992s and three 583s in a lunchbox
DACS Clarity MicAmp -- very nice
Forssell SMP-2 -- a recent addition that I truly love, I want more channels
Grace Lunatec V3 -- good for run&gun portable work
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwarren View Post
I'm probably going to order a second pair before I get the first pair! Depends on the flow, though. Just got a pair of P1's and I'm looking for an EM Blue (anyone?) so cash is tight. Funny thing is I have my tighty whitey's in a bunch over the MA5's based solely on user experience/comments. Hope they don't disappoint. Yes, Godspeed Jensen!

Hey Bob, try this. The guy's cool he bought 2 x P-1 from me. Also I am the original owner of this Blue module.

A Designs EM P-1 Preamp 500 API Lunch Box Brent - eBay, Rack Gear, Pro Audio, Musical Instruments. (end time 27-Feb-08 03:35:26 AEDST)

nIC
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Have there been any rumblings of Jensons finding their way into Avedis' hands?
Old 27th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Have there been any rumblings of Jensons finding their way into Avedis' hands?
I was told he was getting a "few" this week... Hopefully it's a decent amount and not 3 again....
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

I'd wind transformers [for scotch & steaks] if it would get my MA5 here sooner. heh

Maybe it's just me but it seems like everything I order these days requires weeks of waiting. I must be on a half dozen waiting lists at the moment. I'm not complaining or anything, just making an observation.
Old 27th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAVD View Post
I'd wind transformers [for scotch & steaks] if it would get my MA5 here sooner. heh

Maybe it's just me but it seems like everything I order these days requires weeks of waiting. I must be on a half dozen waiting lists at the moment. I'm not complaining or anything, just making an observation.
Heck...I'd wind transformers just for scotch and steak!

Here's hoping the MA5s can be shipped out to the masses (including me, of course) soon!
Old 27th February 2008
500 series nutjob

Heck...I just want the scotch heh
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

Dang, how many of you guys/gals are on the waiting list for MA5's? I thought I was the only one! I can't tell you how disappointed I was when the last run shipped and I didn't even get a call to complete the sale (not High Profile Audio). I was told I didn't need a deposit. This time, I paid in full so hopefully I'm not moved to the back of the line again. I realized then how little clout I had. Oh well...
Old 28th February 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:

I profoundly hope that this timeline is accurate within a week since I ordered mine around Feb 10th. Still waiting on my pairs of E 27s and MA5s...
Old 28th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Heimbecker View Post
I profoundly hope that this timeline is accurate within a week since I ordered mine around Feb 10th. Still waiting on my pairs of E 27s and MA5s...
I don't believe you ordered them from me, so your time line could be considerably different.
Old 28th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

tony-- is this still the eta from the date of the post (feb 20th) for ma5's ordered from you, or is the jensen drought worse than expected and pushing this back? thanks!
Old 28th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickencoop View Post
tony-- is this still the eta from the date of the post (feb 20th) for ma5's ordered from you, or is the jensen drought worse than expected and pushing this back? thanks!
I think we are pretty much still on target with those eta's, give or take a few days. The Jensen drought has been about as bad as expected.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search