Pendulum Quartet Mercenary VS Quartet Original
Old 2nd July 2004
Lives for gear

Pendulum Quartet Mercenary VS Quartet Original

Looking at some Pendulum stuff and seeing the price of the Quartet II the thought came to mind, One Quartet II or two Quartet originals for just a bit more? Anyone have any experience with these?
Old 2nd July 2004
Gear Head

I hate to add to the confusion , but also take a look at the Buzz ARC in addition to the Pendulum Channel Boxes. It should be available within the month. It looks promising. I like the stand alone versions of the pre and optical compressor.
Old 2nd July 2004
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by epicenter800
I hate to add to the confusion , but also take a look at the Buzz ARC in addition to the Pendulum Channel Boxes. It should be available within the month. It looks promising. I like the stand alone versions of the pre and optical compressor.
note: the Pendulum and Buzz are very different boxes
Old 2nd July 2004
Gear Head

yeah, I'd be very interested in hearing this. I know they are shipping, has anybody heard any feedback from somebody other than fletcher? His opinions are definitely valuable on this subject btw, I'm just curious to hear some user info. I'm actually in the same exact boat, but I won't be buying for probably another 6 months as I must get some essentials.

Fletcher, is the switchable transformer option on the quartet II the same or comparable to the full/focused decision you make when you buy an MDP-1?
Old 2nd July 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by SolipsismX
is the switchable transformer option on the quartet II the same or comparable to the full/focused decision you make when you buy an MDP-1?
It is the full AND focused transformer, switchable on the same unit. On the Quartet I, it is either/or the full or focused tranny, not both.
Old 2nd July 2004
Gear nut

If they would make this an option on the MDP-1 I would get one this week! As it stands, I don't like all in one boxes.
Old 2nd July 2004
member no 666

To clear things up a tad... so far, only 3 "Quartet II"s have been delivered, more will be popping out in the very near future, but at this point, only 3 have been delivered. I would hazard a guess that it will take a few more in the field before you will be able to get an accurate compariison... call it a hunch.

1nation I can understand your dislike of "all in one boxes", in fact, I kinda share that dislike... which is why on the "Quartet II" you can use each section independently of the other sections.

You can have a vocal running through the mic-pre with a guitar running through the EQ with a bass running through the compressor and a snare drum running through the peak limiter with no cross talk between sections... or you can chain a couple of the sections together... so say you wanted the vocal to go through the pre with a bit of compression you could still run a guitar through the EQ while running the snare through the peak limiter without a struggle.

The "Quartet" [original] follows the same kind of premise except the "opto compressor" and the "de-esser" are tied together... but you can still use the EQ and the mic pre separately should you so desire.

No big deal, just thought I'd clear up a minor misconception about the units.

Peace.
Old 4th July 2004
Gear Head

just thought of another question....

Is the passive mode of the EQ on the Quartet II the same as the EQ on Quartet 1? Basically, does the Quartet II have the Quartet 1 EQ plus the aggressive mode or is it a completely different beast?
Old 4th July 2004
member no 666

Entirely different beast. The equalizer in the "Quartet II" is based on the same drawing Eugene Shank used to build the equalizers called "Pultecs". At the end of the day it's kinda like getting a Pultec EQP-1A3 with the "mid dip" band of a Pultec MEQ-5.

I'm not sure how Greg did the equalizer in the "Quartet", but it wasn't done as the equalizer was done in the "Quartet II"... it's a fine equalizer, but it has no where near the power and flexibility of the EQ in the "Q-II"

BTW, there is a bit of magic in the 'aggressive' mode... it uses a different transformer to ram the signal through the inductors that comprise the eq section of the "Q-II"... the net result is a nice bit of even order harmonic distortion that I have found to be quite musically pleasing... on both units, you can switch the EQ to be pre or post compression... though the compression on the 'Quartet' is an opto based unit with a de-esser and the compression on the "Q-II" is a 'delta mu' [remote shutoff triode] based unit and the peak limiter is a separate section... the peak limiter is a FET limiter that is switchable between "J-FET" and "MOS-FET" for two different sounding 'brickwall' limiters.

Hope this helps a bit with the differences between the two. FWIW, as channel strip type boxes go... I think the "Quartet" is without a doubt the best one out there for under $3k... in the over $3k weight class, the only thing I can think of that is on par with the Q-II is the GML 2020, which is an entirely different animal.

Peace.
Old 8th July 2004
Gear nut

Sounds like one bad peice of kit!
Old 8th July 2004
Gear Head

So why didn't you guys throw in the De-esser for the quartet II? It's one of the best I've heard (though I only heard it for a short time).
Old 8th July 2004
member no 666

... and lose the peak limiter that's switchable between MOS-FET and J-FET?

I use a peak limiter a hell of a lot more than I use a de-esser... but there is a side chain available to the delta-MU compression section should you decide that de-essing is indeed necessary...

Bro, you couldn't cram a paper clip in the thing... http://www.pendulumaudio.com/QuartetIIHiRes.html I
mean... could you find space on there for a de-esser? We couldn't. That, and it's a different kind of thing from the original 'Quartet' in that the compressor in that the gain reduction cell on the original 'Quartet' is an "opto" based compressor and the gain reduction cell on the "Q-II" is a 'delta-MU' compressor.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search