The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
vintage tube pre you wouldn't trade for anything in the world?
Old 5th November 2014
Lives for gear

Agreed just the v41b for sheer size and whoa

Also the v76m kills the v76s in terms of sonics, decca was run by deaf people

The toni sheridan beatles recordings were done on those in hamburg

I never put anything else infront of my early u47
Old 21st February 2015
Gear Nut

Experienced the same. V41B rules!
Old 21st February 2015
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Greg Hanks BA-660

Rare as rare can be... maybe 50 of them exist

Headroom for days PLUS compressors that hit both the BET of a Fairchild 660 and BA6a... then some!

Mind blowing.

Most everything can be replaced... this is one of those "one-of-a-kinds."

-andrews
Never heard of this before, but its a preamp and a comp right?

Quite expensive it seems
vintage tube pre you wouldn't trade for anything in the world?http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GREG-HANKS...item27e7bf1e2f
Old 21st February 2015
SEED78
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpaffy View Post
Hendyamps Rembrandt. Will beat anything on this list. Uses the same design philosophy of vintage pres, but hand-made in modern times.

Hendyamps Preamps
Very nice customer service too, I was close to buying one once, and the owner was very helpful with supplying demos. Then I went the Drip electronics Redd47 route, have been waiting for a friend to build me a stereo unit with sowter transformers and amperex/Phillips tubes, still a few months off, but think it will be stunning.
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantz View Post
i've read in a post from oliver archut (from tab) that the Lorenz v241 is inferior to the v76...

apparently a few gear pimps are trying to make $$ on old East German gear...

regards.

...found it...

here's what oliver had to say:

The V241 made by the Lorenz company has nothing to do, nor capture the technical specification of a V76. The x-formers are quite low grade, and even the circuit is similar to the REDD47, the sound quality is pretty average.
Since the fall of the iron curtain, several vintage dealers try to hype those "cold war relics", but if you ever hear the 241 compared to a real V41 or even a V76 the result speaks for themself.
Best regards,

Oliver Archut
Custom Audio, Design and Repair

BTW, here's the link to Oliver's above comment re similarity to a v76: PSW Recording Forums: Klaus Heyne's Mic Lab => Anyone used a Lorenz V241/UV300?

good night.
i saw that post not too long ago. i guess not everyone is a fan of the Lorenz V241 UV300. I've always heard good things.
Old 23rd October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapchat2314715 View Post
i saw that post not too long ago. i guess not everyone is a fan of the Lorenz V241 UV300. I've always heard good things.
In know quite a lot of people who use the V241. I also built custom-racks for them a few years ago. I only got very positive reactions. And why would a well-known US mic-dealer buy V241's (and built expensive racks for them) repeatedly for more than $2000? You can guess that he has customers that pay even more for them...
Oliver had build and sell his own equipment. He might not had much interest in facing that people see the Lorenz preamps as a benchmark.
A G erman mic-expert tested and measured them a few years ago and was surprised about the great results and the sound qualities. Compared to the V76, the V241 (also V240 and gain-modded V242) have a more clever "to the point" curcuit with lesser parts in the signal way. There is even a compensation in case one tube becomes weaker.
The Lorenz pres fascinate with their natural, organic, lively and a kind of three-dimensional sound. This is what makes them so special.

Last edited by v241; 23rd October 2018 at 09:03 AM..
Old 23rd October 2018
Old thread. But interesting.

Not exactly vintage, but they don't make them or service them any longer and there aren't a lot of them up for sale, so I'll throw the Aphex Thermionics 1100 in there. Just picked up a second one. One of the best sounding preamps I've used in 20+ years of mixing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search