The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
High end A/D converter prices
Old 2nd December 2002

I need a little help here. I have been trying to decide which set of A/D's I'm going to purchase. I have been able to find a prices for every brand except Prism sound on the net. I was specifically interested in the Dream AD-2. I'm trying to decide right now between the Mytek A/D 8X96 and the Crane song HEDD. Right now I'm leaning toward the Myteks for the 8 channels input and because they're about the same price. If the Prisms are in the price range I will go demo them and then make a decision. Anybody know?
Old 2nd December 2002
Prism's are about 3x's the cost of Myteks.
Old 2nd December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

... and they sound a very tiny bit more clinical but not necessarily better than the Myteks. Infact, not at all if you ask me.
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Nut

Are the Myteks as good as the digi 192 HD's? Are they better? Are they worse? What are the best A/D converters? Sorry but this topic still confuses me
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Maniac

The Myteks are just deluxe. I'll probably get a 2 channel jobbie very soon. The Prisms are overrated. To my ear they sound somewhat clinical and they are overpriced. The HEDD however is just devine, plus you get awesome processing power to boot.

If you need more channels, probably the Myteks for bang for the buck. You'll be hard pressed to get too much better, regardless of price. Michal is a very clever man.

I've been told the coverters used in the Manley SLAM are just da bomb!! This by a guy who did a comparison of over 40 sets of converters from the cheap and nasties right up to the most expensive.
There were some surprise results.

The SLAM and HEDD converters were right up at the top along with the Myteks. It's also a personal thing just like anything else, but I cannot stress the importance of good converters. They really are the make or break in your chain.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 2nd December 2002
Gear Nut

So lets say I have a digi 192, I should put different high quality converters before it in the chain and use the digital inputs of the 192, right? So the analog inputs of the digi 192 are worth shit? Is that what yer sayin? I'm soory, I'm still relatively new to this, any help would be much appreciated, THNX.
Old 2nd December 2002
I was lucky and able to do a special deal / trade to get 16 i/o of Prism Dream ADA. Normally they are very spendy tut

Cool thing is that by swapping out cards I can run 3 configurations on the one 2U unit (I have 2 x 8ch D/A cards & 2 x 8ch A/D cards..) :

16 in (tracking)
8 in + 8 out (overdubbing)
16 out (mixing)

16 good inpuuts is all I need for tracking a whole rock band.

I also have the Hedd

Last production I did was 'all Prism' - I used the Hedd to capture the mix at 96k 24 bit to a Masterlink, adding some tape simulation along the way..The hedd also acted as my mix monitor D/A. This combo worked out very well IMHO.

Old 2nd December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by AgonizingpaiN
Are the Myteks as good as the digi 192 HD's? Are they better? Are they worse? What are the best A/D converters? Sorry but this topic still confuses me
There is no single answer to that question. You have to decide for yourself and the only way to do that is by listening. Sorry for the same old answer, but it is the truth. If you can audition whatever you're interested in your studio, it is well worth the effort.

For my money, the Myteks are king.
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Maniac

I wouldn't say the digi 192 converters are shit. They're O.K I guess, but definitely not in the league of the HEDD or the Myteks.

Jackson is right in saying you have to use your ears. Remember while there are a lot of choices in any price range, there is no definitive best that everyone will universally agreee upon. Just look at the Manley Vari-Mu for example. An item that definitely qualifies as high end, but there people out there who dis it.

Seeing as you're new to this, you may want to get some help from someone who maybe has a more experienced ear than you to help you point out some things. There is no shame in this. It still will be your final decision.

Whether you go with the Myteks or a HEDD, you'll be ahead of most.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Nut

Thanks for the advice.
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Addict

Has anyone here had a chance to listen to that 3D Audio A/D converter shootout CD?

I've seen some mentions of it but no specifics. It seems like something that would be easier to get a more controlled sample versus the mic pre/mic CDs.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

WTF is "clinical" anyway?evileye
Old 3rd December 2002

Thanks for the help.
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Maniac

... BENCHMARK ...
If you're going shopping, you'd do well to look at these rather reasonable boxes. They hold water with the best of em. When you get into the neighborhood of Hedd, Mytec, Slam, DB and .. Benchmark .. it's subjective You could eventually wind up using several of these in your arsenal, much like pre's.

Benchmark is primarily known in the Classical world, where clarity is at a premium. They have the lowest jitter rate in the biz and are virtually noisless. I've been in the room where a rather well known producer said it sounded like to 1/2 inch. I tend to agree. Granted, that's just two opinions. Check it out for yourself
Old 3rd December 2002
Gear Maniac

And Oh Yeah .... the Benchmark DAC-1 (2ch D/A) just took the PAR award at AES ....
They must be doing something right
Old 3rd December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
WTF is "clinical" anyway?evileye
clean, accurate, cold

don't ask me to define cold because then I'll have to whip out that tired old "warm" crap again

it doesn't take much imagination to hear "cold" vs "warm" but you know it when you hear it
Old 3rd December 2002
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
clean, accurate, cold

don't ask me to define cold because then I'll have to whip out that tired old "warm" crap again

it doesn't take much imagination to hear "cold" vs "warm" but you know it when you hear it
You're right! It is tired AND old. It just strikes me as weird to describe accuracy in a negative way, especially when talking abut converters.
Old 4th December 2002
I know exactly what Jax means, it's something you can't put into words, but it comes down to what a person thinks is musical vs what they think is not musical, not necessarily 'warm' vs 'cold'. But at this level of the game, with such high end gear, it's swatting at nats.
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

I haven't worked with any of the ultra high end DACs. I have owned the following though- MOTU 2408mkII, RME ADI-PRO, Lucid 8824, Mytek AD896.

I was calibrating my Mytek last week, and saw something odd. When I was feeding a 1khz sine wave out from Logic at +3.9db(u?v?) the 8824 clipped according to the Waves PAZ Analyzer plug I was using. The Mytek didn't. So that means the Mytek had more headroom? I don't really know. Anyway's in listening tests I've done so far, the Mytek sounds a little clearer than the 8824. I still need to do a double blind test though.

I don't know if I've helped. grggt I do think that the financial difference between the RME and Mytek is very justified though. Actually, I feel that the RME and MOTU stuff is overpriced, for their audio quality. Bleh.
Old 4th December 2002

Looks like the Myteks are going to win. I wish Mytek gave you choice of digital input medium besides AES/EBU instead of having to buy the cards. My default mediums are s/pdif or adat going into my DAW. I will probably ditch my current card and get the recommended Hammerfal. Come on tax time!!
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Re: High end A/D converter prices

Quote:
Originally posted by kifaru
Looks like the Myteks are going to win. I wish Mytek gave you choice of digital input medium besides AES/EBU instead of having to buy the cards. My default mediums are s/pdif or adat going into my DAW. I will probably ditch my current card and get the recommended Hammerfal. Come on tax time!!
Ok um, I think that the Mytek comes with ADAT by default. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know, I bought mine used.

If you get a Hammerfall, get the 9652, not the multiface or digiface. The 9652 is much more stable.
Old 4th December 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
MOTU 2408mkII, I feel that the RME and MOTU stuff is overpriced, for their audio quality. Bleh.
well, the 2408 certainly isnt their best convertor in their line... actually their worst.... its really for moving 24 channels of lightpipe/tdif i/o through their system.

their 1296 is pretty fucking nice for the price.
Old 4th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by G-man
You're right! It is tired AND old. It just strikes me as weird to describe accuracy in a negative way, especially when talking abut converters.
Accurate, clean, clear - those are the +'s

... but when all that is done "coldly", it doesn't sound as good to me
Old 4th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Re: Re: High end A/D converter prices

Quote:
Originally posted by faeflora
Ok um, I think that the Mytek comes with ADAT by default. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't know, I bought mine used.
The ADAT card for the Mytek is optional. If you don't use the ADAT i/o, I hope you didn't pay much more for an option you don't use! Then again, it's always handy to have optical i/o if you ever need it.
Old 4th December 2002
Re: High end A/D converter prices

Quote:
Originally posted by kifaru
I need a little help here. I have been trying to decide which set of A/D's I'm going to purchase. I have been able to find a prices for every brand except Prism sound on the net. I was specifically interested in the Dream AD-2. I'm trying to decide right now between the Mytek A/D 8X96 and the Crane song HEDD. Right now I'm leaning toward the Myteks for the 8 channels input and because they're about the same price. If the Prisms are in the price range I will go demo them and then make a decision. Anybody know?
I would seriously check out the Genex AX8. I heard them recently and they blew me away. They sound better than the Prism(and the prism are great sounding converters).

A Prism ADA-8 is around $8000. The HEdd 192 is a great unit(I own one). I think there are better DAC's out there than the HEdd, but for the whole package its a good buy.
Old 5th December 2002
Gear Nut

What about Apogee?
Old 5th December 2002
Motown legend

I've been using a Benchmark AD2404-96 for a few weeks.

At first I thought it just sat there like a lump, ok but uninspiring. Then I discovered I could use digital eq a lot more heavy-handedly than usual without the sound turning to dust.

This experience has given me a lot of food for thought about how to evaluate converters. The one disadvantage is that there are no gain controls. Digital zero is +24 and it requires a balanced feed. An awful lot of common gear will clip before driving it to full scale so it's not the best converter to use fed by anything other than high-end pro gear. On the other hand, it's a real bargain.
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Olhsson
I've been using a Benchmark AD2404-96 for a few weeks.

At first I thought it just sat there like a lump, ok but uninspiring. Then I discovered I could use digital eq a lot more heavy-handedly than usual without the sound turning to dust.

This experience has given me a lot of food for thought about how to evaluate converters. The one disadvantage is that there are no gain controls. Digital zero is +24 and it requires a balanced feed. An awful lot of common gear will clip before driving it to full scale so it's not the best converter to use fed by anything other than high-end pro gear. On the other hand, it's a real bargain.
Bob,

I'm glad it came to be more than a lump for you. heh You can actually order the 2404's with variable input gain and we can easily modify existing units to include it. The 2402-96 has it standard, as do the A/D cards for our System 1000. Here's a picture of the 2404 with the variable gain option:
Attached Thumbnails
High end A/D converter prices-ad2404vgl.jpg  
Old 6th December 2002
Gear Maniac

Hey Bob ...

Thanks for chiming in about Benchmark. I was beginning to think I was the only one around here that believed in the product. They really are quite good, much less considering the price / performance ratio. I've seen it A/B'd with other top units for alot more $. It never dissapoints

I have the same unit your looking at, but with the variable gain shown above. It (gain option) works fine on the rare occasion I have call for it yuktyy

Now maybe a few more might give this Co. a "First" look rollz
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear