The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Hey NY-2A users!!
Old 31st January 2008
Gear Addict

Hey NY-2A users!!

I just got an Electro Harmonix NY-2A yesterday and I'm wondering a few things from NY-2A users..
-I know that the pre/post gain and compression settings have to be set all over again when you switch light sources, but I've noticed a huge difference in overall volume between light sources. The first EL light source is QUITE a bit louder than the other 2 settings.
-Also, I've noticed that if the NY-2A is between my pre and converter, I have a significant amount LESS mic gain when the compressor is bypassed. This makes it difficult to use my ears to check my compression levels from a normal signal path without the compressor.
Just wondering if all the NY-2A users have experienced these things..

The NY-2A is cleaner than I expected. I knew it was a fairly transparent compressor, but I'm having a hard time really driving it. I really haven't had a lot of time to play yet, but I found I could get the hardest compression from the EL setting, but it starts pumping pretty fast. I'm just wondering what settings people are using if they want to drive it hard.

Lastly, with so much possibility in settings and light sources, I'm just wondering if anyone has any favorites for different sources like vocals, acoustic guitar, bass, etc..

This is my first legitimate hardware compressor, and I know many of these questions could be answered with trial and error which I will be doing plenty of, just looking for some tips to get me going..

Thanks
Old 1st February 2008
Gear Addict

Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

All the things you posted are true of all the NY-2As that I've used.

I'm not sure if you were expecting something "gritty," but if you want that, you should look to another box for it. Sorry. =(

In regards to the gain structuring, it can be tricky. EH reasoned that each setting has the gain sort of optimized for the different detectors, which makes sense to me. The good news is that what each mode works best on is really obvious, so after you spend some time with the unit, there is little need to audition the various modes.

Make sure to read the manual if you haven't already. It'll really help you figure out how to get the most out of the NY2A. Once you get comfy with it, its a really great box that can solve a lot of problems...
Old 2nd February 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
All the things you posted are true of all the NY-2As that I've used.

I'm not sure if you were expecting something "gritty," but if you want that, you should look to another box for it. Sorry. =(

In regards to the gain structuring, it can be tricky. EH reasoned that each setting has the gain sort of optimized for the different detectors, which makes sense to me. The good news is that what each mode works best on is really obvious, so after you spend some time with the unit, there is little need to audition the various modes.

Make sure to read the manual if you haven't already. It'll really help you figure out how to get the most out of the NY2A. Once you get comfy with it, its a really great box that can solve a lot of problems...
Thanks.

Not really looking for gritty.. I just can't help pushing things to the limit when I'm testing something out. And to be honest I just couldn't get a lot of plain old compression. We're talking the kind of compression that's not very useful, but is fun to hear.. I do plan on getting a DBX or Urei/JBL unit for some dirtier sounds. I think this NY-2A's sweet spot is cleaner compression of a few db's.

But speaking of transparent, the NY-2A seems like it would be good on the mix. Anybody tried it accross a mix?
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Be careful...

I lookd int one becuase I heard good things about it, but after a while found that people where returning them left and right do to build quality and failure.

Just be careful

-andrews
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

I can work very well across the mix buss. EH recommends not using the stereo link mode, however, as it introduces a little bit of cross talk. Also, there is a specific way to set up the stereo mode which involves setting the knobs differently.
Old 2nd February 2008
Gear Addict

I think the NY2A is a great sounding comp. The last record I mixed, I swapped between a Neve 33609J and the NY2A on 2buss depending on the song. When the NY2A works, it's very cool across the mix--it's just very programme dependent because you don't have any control of attack/release. I found it works best on slow to mid tempo music where you want a couple db gr.

I've also gotten killer results with it on piano, bass, and drum buss.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search