The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SSL X-Rack EQ ... or not ?? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 31st January 2008
Gear Addict

SSL X-Rack EQ ... or not ??

So I just completed my 500 rack with 11 550Bs () and now I'm interested in getting a XRack for the EQs. I am used to the sound of our 4000G+ (WITH BLACK/E EQ!!) and I'd like to know if the XR625 compares ?

I find the 550Bs to be quite colored. On the 4000 console, the EQ doesn't sound 'clean' to my hears and also very aggressive (more than the 550Bs). I don't like Clean/Sterile sounding gear.

Will I find that in the XR625 ?
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

I've used the eq in the X-Logic channelstrip which for all I know is the same eq as in the X-rack module. The difference beeing the X-rack module doesn't have the HP/LP filters.

It has to be one of the most versatile eq's out there. Simply a great allrounder.

Yes, it's clean sounding but not boring. Easy to get great results with. Musical if you like, whatever that is..

My only gripe was initially the relatively low headroom but I think that had to do with the quite unusual (and somewhat confusing) line-in gain solution in the X-Logic channelstrip. Once I got that figured out it was smooth sailing.

The X-rack eq is a close relative to the eq in the 9K's, AWS900 and duality.

I wouldn't mind having a rack full of those.

As always, if you can, try before you buy.
Old 31st January 2008
Gear Addict

would you call them agressive ?

I thought it was more of a G series EQ..?
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

They have very good "grab", if that makes any sense.

Find the frequency you're hunting, boost or cut and the result will be solid.

At least on the channelstrip you could choose between E and G behaviour. Can you do that on the X-rack module ?

While clean, it definitely has a nice edge to it. Sort of aggressive but smooth at the same time.

Solid is a good word to describe them.
Old 31st January 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks !

Anybody else ?

Tony Belmont, where are you ?
Old 1st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
At least on the channelstrip you could choose between E and G behaviour. Can you do that on the X-rack module ?
Yes you can.
Old 1st February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallplexi View Post
Thanks !

Anybody else ?

Tony Belmont, where are you ?

There is some major fundamental differences between the 4000 E242 black EQ's and the X-rack XR625 EQ. For starters, they are a completely different design and topology. The XR625 is SuperAnalogue, and what that means is "it uses no capacitors in the signal path". I would consider it a cleaner sound and it is derived from the 9000 series EQ's. It's essentially the EQ from the 9K, and has both E & G curves on the mid bands.

Now, the 4000 black EQ's has so many capacitors in the audio path, it would make an audiophile shudder. But, they had a cool sound all themselves, although suffered from some smearing (which was still cool, actually).

So, if you want something that functions like the E242's, but is a more modern updated design, then you would be happy with the X-rack EQ. But, if you want something that sounds like the old 4000's, I can't say it does that.... I'm happy with it, though... and in many ways it's superior to the 4000 EQ's. But, I still have a warm place in my heart for the E242! I wish I could have both, but the XR625 is filling that void well... until I can buy an old 4000. heh
Old 10th February 2008
Gear Addict

Tony,

so you reckon the XRack EQ is cleaner/less mojo than the 4000, right ?
Old 10th February 2008
theother
Quote:
So I just completed my 500 rack with 11 550Bs () and now I'm interested in getting a XRack for the EQs. I am used to the sound of our 4000G+ (WITH BLACK/E EQ!!) and I'd like to know if the XR625 compares ?

I find the 550Bs to be quite colored. On the 4000 console, the EQ doesn't sound 'clean' to my hears and also very aggressive (more than the 550Bs). I don't like Clean/Sterile sounding gear.

Will I find that in the XR625 ?
the Xrack does not have the 4000 console EQ. Although it has a button saying 'E/G' it is not the 4000 series E/G eq.

Totally different design and sound.

The XRack is modelled after the 9k series and AWS/Duality.
Old 10th February 2008
Lives for gear

If you want the 4000 black EQ sound, check the SSL E-Signature channel. Its EQ is switchable between brown and black E-series EQ. It's build 'the old way' in contrast to the 9000/AWS/Duality/X-Logic Superanalogue capacitor-less design.
Old 10th February 2008

Quote:
Tony,

so you reckon the XRack EQ is cleaner/less mojo than the 4000, right ?
I guess you could say that... I'm not sure mojo is the right word. But, they are definitely cleaner sounding.
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
I guess you could say that... I'm not sure mojo is the right word. But, they are definitely cleaner sounding.
What's your opinion on the x-rack e series eq?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search