The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
BAE 1073 vs VINTECH X73 Channel Strips
Old 29th January 2008
Here for the gear

BAE 1073 vs VINTECH X73

Hi Guys, I know there has been a lot talk about the BAE 1073 being about as close as you can get to an original Neve 1073.

What i'm trying to find out is if there are any of you out there who own a BAE 1073 and a Vintech X73 that could give me an audio example or verbal of the differences between the two (if any)

I did see on the Fulltone website that Mike owns both, and i know that he sometimes posts here hopefully he will be able to answer.

I personally own a pair of Vintech X73 and love them, i'm just curious as to how similar the might be to the BAE.

When i bought the Vintech X73 i compared it to the X73i and the X81 and believe me they all sounded different. Now i know that Nathen E will probably chime in and say that there is no sonic difference between them, but i had all three of them here side by side in the studio and the X73 was a clear standout. Anyhow i'd love to hear from someone who owns both a BAE 1073 and Vintech X73 or who has done a real listening test to both.

Cheers Sean

Salt Recording Studios Melbourne Australia

Last edited by Salt Studios; 29th January 2008 at 07:10 AM.. Reason: Wrong info
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear
I haven't had them side by side...but I've owned both. I like the BAE better. Look at my thread that has the BAE compared to the 1073...I think it speaks for itself. You get what you pay for...the Vintech is a fine pre, but I think the BAE is better - but that's only in my opinion. As far as sounding like a 1073, listen to the files yourself. Honestly, if I had to choose what to spend my money on first, I would put it in a microphone - that is going to make the biggest difference in your sound...
Old 29th January 2008
Gear Maniac

dfegad
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Well after years of reading the "this versus that thread" I'm borrowing a 1073, and a BAE to test against the X73. I won't be posting clips. Purely selfish motivation. Doing it so I have a definitive answer once and for all.
Some say there is no diff. Some say there is. I say borrow or rent them and know for yourself.
Old 29th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Well after years of reading the "this versus that thread" I'm borrowing a 1073, and a BAE to test against the X73. I won't be posting clips. Purely selfish motivation. Doing it so I have a definitive answer once and for all.
Some say there is no diff. Some say there is. I say borrow or rent them and know for yourself.
Oh there is a difference in sound, but you have to decide if the difference is worth saving the $$$ or spending the extra $$$ for better or worse. That is the hardest test and only you can answer that.

To me the AMS is bright and warm, and the BAE is dark and warm. Can you use a good EQ to make up the differences?
Old 29th January 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks guys, i had imagined that the BAE would probably be the better unit.

The difference in price between the BAE and the Vintech X73 doesn't bother me. but the difference in price between them and the AMS re issues or actual vintage modules pulled from 70's desks is huge$$$$$..

As i said i really do like how the X73 performs and i've been getting great results with them. But as far as i'm aware there are no BAE 1073 in Australia (no dealerships) for me to do a side by side comparison.

Kellyd i'd still be very interested to hear about your findings.

Kingofswing, your discription of the AMS is exactly how i heard it. Infact i was really surprised when i tried the AMS how crisp and bright it sounded, dont get me wrong, it sounded awesome, just cleaner then i imagined it would. Sounded like a modern take on a vintage design, like a Great River with even more iron.
Old 30th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt Studios View Post
I personally own a pair of Vintech X73 and love them,
That says what needs to be said IMO
Old 30th January 2008

Quote:
But as far as i'm aware there are no BAE 1073 in Australia (no dealerships) for me to do a side by side comparison.
Call Legacy Audio
Old 30th January 2008
Lives for gear

Legacy Audio have them for sure.

nIC
Old 30th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Kellyd i'd still be very interested to hear about your findings.
I'll let you know.
Won't be a very clinical test. Put up a track and cut vocs with a CM7. The only thing I will qualify is the distance from the mic and level. 1 verse,1 chorus each. What I hear is all I'll need. Will try gits also.
Old 31st January 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks Kellyd that will be great.

Also thanks guys for the pm's

thumbsup
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

I tried them both.I owned 4 BAE 1073.like the BAE MUCH better.specially in the mid's
Old 2nd February 2008
Here for the gear

Anyone want to offer me a good deal on a S/H pair of BAE 1073 racks with a power supply?

Cheers

Sean.

Old 7th February 2008
Here for the gear

kellyd

Have you had a chance to get them side by side for a comparison?
Old 8th February 2008

Quote:
Anyone want to offer me a good deal on a S/H pair of BAE 1073 racks with a power supply?

Cheers

Sean.

Call Legacy Audio. They are in Australia.... Just realized I already said that. Nevermind.
Old 8th February 2008
Lives for gear

I have a question:
Everybody talks about all 1073 clones like they are just preamps. I don't get it, the eq is the most expensive and critical section to evaluate and I never see anything about it.
Would anyone compare the eq too???????
Old 8th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
kellyd

Have you had a chance to get them side by side for a comparison?

No I haven't had the time but I have a friend dropping off a BAE this eve and will borrow his orig 1073 next week.

Tonite we're having fun comparing my U99 ser#20 against his vintage U67 using the BAE. If we have time I might do a quickie between the BAE and the X73. Will pm you when I have something to say.
Old 8th February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
I have a question:
Everybody talks about all 1073 clones like they are just preamps. I don't get it, the eq is the most expensive and critical section to evaluate and I never see anything about it.
Would anyone compare the eq too???????
Unfortunately, the people who are clamoring to hear samples of different 1073's probably don't even use analog EQ. Which is a shame. Everyone is preamp crazy... the majority of hobbyist's haven't figured out how important analog EQ & compression is yet.
Old 8th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
I have a question:
Everybody talks about all 1073 clones like they are just preamps. I don't get it, the eq is the most expensive and critical section to evaluate and I never see anything about it. Would anyone compare the eq too???????
I fully agree!!! We need more info regarding the eq sections!!!

I already use some Neve 1073DPA pre units... that takes care of my pre-amp needs. The 1073DPAs are not that expensive... and in my opinion, these pres are second to none, at least if you want that sound.

However, I really need some extra vintage British eqs for mixdown... and the AMS Neve stuff (with eq) is just too darned expensive.

I already have some X73s and in my opinion, the eq section is excellent. I personally feel that the eq section in the X73 is the unit's strong point. In general, I'll say this... you can't go wrong with the eq in an X73. How it compares to a BAE, I do not know.... and hope to find out.

Because the frequency points of these eqs are essentially identical and detented, it should be fairly easy to compare... unlike with other eqs. I'd love to hear say a distorted electric crunch rhythm guitar with several db of either 1.6k or 3.2k boosted... using the X73, BAE and AMS Neve (if possible)... certainly the X73 and BAE in any case.

Old 8th February 2008
Lives for gear

I'll co-sign with what the venerable Mr. Belmont said; I use the eq of my X73i all the time; usually running into an 1176... It's resulted in baselines becoming as ballsy as frontline soldiers in Mandingo warrior clans...
Old 22nd February 2008
I am in the market for a 1073 copy/clone etc.
The X73 sounds like it could be a good budget option - what about the X73I.
Also no-one is talking about the Aurora audio products - is that because they are crap?
Is the BAE the way to go?
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear
Aurora might be better than both of those. It's not a 1073 clone - the only way I can describe it is "creamy"...it seems to have more low and top end...It's the best buy out of those two...$1250 a channel. One caveat - this might not be normal, but I had about three issues with my unit that required me sending it back for repair. They fixed it and sent it back quickly - just a pain in the ass.
Old 22nd February 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
Also no-one is talking about the Aurora audio products - is that because they are crap?
Crap????

The GTQ is probably one of the best preamps money can buy at any price. I have 1073's, but prefer the GTQ on vocals and bass everytime.
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by anguswoodhead View Post
I am in the market for a 1073 copy/clone etc.
The X73 sounds like it could be a good budget option - what about the X73I.
Is the BAE the way to go?
Hi

A search for GTQ2 would appear to indicate the contrary....

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/searc...archid=8817204

Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Unfortunately, the people who are clamoring to hear samples of different 1073's probably don't even use analog EQ. Which is a shame. Everyone is preamp crazy... the majority of hobbyist's haven't figured out how important analog EQ & compression is yet.

LMAO.. many "PROFESSIONALS" with "HIGH IQ's" believe that if you have a good preamp you dont need EQ.

and what's a GTQ2 ??heh
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
LMAO.. many "PROFESSIONALS" with "HIGH IQ's" believe that if you have a good preamp you dont need EQ.

and what's a GTQ2 ??
Hi

It's that 1U stereo mic pre in your rack!

heh
Old 22nd February 2008
Lives for gear
Geoff,
The world is still clamoring for a mono GTQ...at least I am...sub $2000 with a 4 band EQ? I'd be ALL over it...
Old 23rd February 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Geoff,
The world is still clamoring for a mono GTQ...at least I am...sub $2000 with a 4 band EQ? I'd be ALL over it...
Okay - so you like the GTQ.
What about the JLM 99v ?
Old 23rd February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's probably because they are not clones like the BAE and Vintech products are.

They are one of the few product lines I can think of where I don't recall anyone ever saying that they disliked them...I've seen some say they're not necessarily their cup of tea, but none that I recall that they thought they sound bad...
Old 20th April 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
I fully agree!!! We need more info regarding the eq sections!!!

However, I really need some extra vintage British eqs for mixdown... and the AMS Neve stuff (with eq) is just too darned expensive.

I already have some X73s and in my opinion, the eq section is excellent. I personally feel that the eq section in the X73 is the unit's strong point. In general, I'll say this... you can't go wrong with the eq in an X73. How it compares to a BAE, I do not know.... and hope to find out.

Because the frequency points of these eqs are essentially identical and detented, it should be fairly easy to compare... unlike with other eqs. I'd love to hear say a distorted electric crunch rhythm guitar with several db of either 1.6k or 3.2k boosted... using the X73, BAE and AMS Neve (if possible)... certainly the X73 and BAE in any case.

Reviving this thread b/c I have the same question...

I've compared the BAE 1073mp preamp to a Vintech X81 preamp and chose the BAE. But, it would actually be cheaper for me to purchase an x73i and ONLY use it for the eq along w/ my BAE pre, rather than buying a BAE 1073 w/ eq. Does this make sense? Am I losing anything this way? Anyone know how the eq compares in the V and BAE?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search