The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Pyromania Guitars
Old 27th June 2004
Lives for gear

Pyromania Guitars

Mike, the info on the DL guitars on Hysteria was great. Can you give us some insight on the Guitar chain on the Pyromania album. Mics, amps etc. Thanks.

Shane
Old 28th June 2004
Captain

On "Pyromania" I remember the hell we went thru trying to get guitar tones. It was a struggle to settle on something and we tried everything. We had every Mrshall top and cab we could get our hans on and that was a lot !!!!!
We tried so many different techniques and combinations from Angus Young's custom heads to stock combo's and ended up after trying about 100 amps to go with a customised marshall 100 watt head and a old cabinet . We had to settle on something !!! After 11 months of the tape going over the heads of the tape machine that the sound changed anyway !!!
Old 28th June 2004
Lives for gear

Just curious ... on Pyromania, and particularly on Hysteria, etc. did the guys in Def Leppard ever say, "How the hell are we gonna pull this off LIVE?"
Old 29th June 2004
Lives for gear

Last nite, they repeated the "classic album" tv prog about Hysteria. Class . Not my sort of thing (far too much hair) but I can appreciate the work that went into it, and of course, Mutt's massive influence on the project.

But I can't help thinking Def Leppard / Spinal Tap are one in the same....

jus' my 0.02c
Old 29th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by entropy
Last nite, they repeated the "classic album" tv prog about Hysteria. Class . But I can't help thinking Def Leppard / Spinal Tap are one in the same....
Surely David St Hubbins is Phil colleen and Steve Clarke was Nigel Tuffnell.

It was a great doco and i loved every minute of it?.. Was it a hassle to sort out all the tracks Mike?

Quote:
[i]Mutt's massive influence on the project
Fully i mean just look @ 'pour some sugar' a little riff turned into a cock rock power ballad to shame the best of them. But more so for his mullet i think?heh heh heh

Its so plain and easy to see where Gun's Roses took thier cues from. Except the melody was so much stronger with Def Leopard. however i think GNR had a greater affinity for the melody of clicking cameras and paparazi rather than thier songs per se`!

Cheers
Wiggy
Old 29th June 2004
Captain

Pretty much any band of that era is "spinal tap" now , tho they all did pretty good in their day and are an easy target now , but the real spinal tap film was modelled after Uriah Heap , a 70's English prog rock band.
Tho I do remember going to the premier in London of Spinal Tap and the audience was made up primarily of bands and musos etc. and it was pretty funny watching as the audience didn't know if it was a comedy or not , or where to laugh if it was!
Old 29th June 2004
Lives for gear

The beauty of Spinal Tap is it's universal.... I've been involved with hip hop/ drum and bass/ uk garage/ house/ indie acts that have all had Tap moments themselves while on tour. It's one thing selling 12 million albums and being fussy about the colour of certain M&M's, it's quite another selling 1200 copies and complaining that the dessing room doesn't feature an olympic size jacuzzi
Old 29th June 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks for the Pyromania info Mike.

Shane
Old 29th June 2004
Lives for gear

Uriah Heap, ... très bien! thumbsup

Ruphus
Old 30th June 2004
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally posted by shipshape
...but the real spinal tap film was modelled after Uriah Heap , a 70's English prog rock band.
huh. I had heard a long time ago that it was Saxon.
Old 30th June 2004
Lives for gear

Yep, it WAS Saxon according to the director interview I read, too & also an interview with the band..

Now, anyone else notice how the bass guy in the Darkness looks like the bassist from Saxon, who is a balding Derek Smalls ? Life imitating art imitating life..
Old 29th December 2015
Gear Addict

Just wanted to resurrect this 13 year old thread lol. Sitting here creaming my jeans over this guitar sound. If i could get guitars to sound like this, you could dig a hole and throw me in it after that...All preference of course.

Old 30th December 2015
Gear Addict

Had to bump this again because this is what guitars are supposed to sound like IMO....Is it because its in the "high end" forum?

Anyway it would be nice to get some other opinions and insight.
Old 30th December 2015
Lives for gear

This is kind of cryptic

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search