The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What should I add to, or subtract from this list......?
Old 1st December 2002
Gear Nut

What should I add to, or subtract from this list......?

Neve 1073
API 312
Focusrite Red 1
Cranesong Spider
Old 1st December 2002
For what purpose? Is this list going to the North Pole? I think Santa might not have any Spider's in stock right now.
Old 1st December 2002
Gear Nut

I am currently in the process of building a home studio. These are all potential buys. The 1073's for guitars, the API's for drums and some bass guitar, the RED 1 for keyboards and the spider for whatever the hell sounds good thru it!!! I just want to know if I'm making the right decision, thats all.

BTW, from what I heard, Neve 1089's sound identical to the 1073's but are much cheaper. Is that true?

PS I make Industrial rock, and sometimes just plain good ol' rock 'n roll.
Old 1st December 2002
Lives for gear

The 1089 is the same circuitry inthe EQ and preamps sections. THe only difference is in the line section where the gain starts opposite from the 1073.. so it starts @ -20dB -> +10dB instead of the +10dB ->-20dB

The 1099 if you can find them cos they are pretty scarce from what i have seen in my short travels is a 1073 without the line section. These were used in custom 8024's and they had a seperate line section houses int he meterbirdge module over the EQ module itself. This line switching section house the switches to switch the 1099 between MIC & LINE modes and has additional gain trims for the line inputs into the console itself.
The line section to drive the 1099 inthe 8024 is driven by either a 3415 or 1272 depending on what was ordered.

hope this helps

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 1st December 2002
Gear Nut

Thanks Wiggy. I heard that Brent Averill refurb Neves are pretty good. Is that true. Should I go for Brent or Vintech? Also, what pre's sound good on vocals?
Old 1st December 2002
How many tracks will you be needing to record at once?

You may just be able to 'get by' with just the Spider..
Old 1st December 2002
Gear Nut

Really!!! Wouldnt the end result be hard to mix Jules? I was told that different Pre's for diff instruments gives each track a life of its own, making it easier to find it's place in the mix. I checked out yer studio's website Jules(really cool BTW) and you have more than 1 kind of pre, but if wut yer sayin is true then maybe I should start off with just the spider, and then slowly aquire the rest. THNX for the idea Jules

BTW Jules, are u happy with yer JMP-1???
Old 4th December 2002
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
For what purpose? Is this list going to the North Pole? I think Santa might not have any Spider's in stock right now.
The hell he doesn't...
Old 4th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by AgonizingpaiN
I was told that different Pre's for diff instruments gives each track a life of its own, making it easier to find it's place in the mix.
I think you can also achieve equally, if not greater differences in color just by using different mic's, guitars, amps, etc... like they did on all those records before it became fashionable to have a rack of multi-colored pre amps.

Old 4th December 2002
Yeah, stick with the Spider for everything, its a real 'cream machine'

Trust me I'm a doctor!

JMP-1 is cool

So also is:
Digitech Valve FX
They make a good combo
+ SansAmp
+ Engle SAVAGE 120 Special Edition head & 4 x 12 cab

Old 4th December 2002
There is only one

bag the focusrite... definately get the spider over all else.
Old 4th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

While I agree that the mix happens way before the preamp and mic, I like the varied preamps approach better. Then you get even more variation.

Get a Flamingo, because the Spider doesn't do IRON and the flamingo does. That IRON switch is the ****.

Then get an API 3214 (or is it 3412? anyway...).

Then get a Great River MP2-NV.

With these you're set for life, or until your next GAS attack.
Old 5th December 2002
Gear Nut

Thanks guys, you just made my life alot easier!! I think I'll start off with the spider, unless I get the loan I'm asking for...... If I do I'm getting everything.
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

Then get an API 3214 (or is it 3412? anyway...).

I just got an API 3124 this week... after being reaquitned with it this week it gave me major woody all over again like when i first used them. A truly stellar piece of kit with 4 bitchin premaps that are the bomb for drums and grts and nearly veything else. The DI's are no slouch's either and sound great on Bass and keyboards. I can not recommend this enough and would be a GREAT palce to start for any studio.

PEACE
Wiggy..

** maybe im gona have to change my stripes soon!**
Old 5th December 2002
Lives for gear

How about the Manley 16x2? More channels, great mic pre's, and a tube mix buss? Not to say that the Spider is bad, 'cause I want ten of each
Old 5th December 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by AgonizingpaiN
Really!!! Wouldnt the end result be hard to mix Jules? I was told that different Pre's for diff instruments gives each track a life of its own, making it easier to find it's place in the mix. I checked out yer studio's website Jules(really cool BTW) and you have more than 1 kind of pre, but if wut yer sayin is true then maybe I should start off with just the spider, and then slowly aquire the rest.
If your just starting out mics will make a much bigger difference then preamps. I'd invest money there. Between that and just doings lots of recording, mixing and A/B'ing to commercial CD's you'll start to get in the ballpark. It's once you've developed an ear and a mic collection that different preamps can start to shade things differently. If you want to read more, look for the shootout thread in Steve Remotes forum.
Old 5th December 2002
Motown legend

I'd probably get a couple Spiders and then worry about monitoring and microphones.

Neve modules etc. make great supplemental colors but a first class path between 16 decent mikes and the recorder along with the ability to hear what you are really doing is going to make the biggest difference of all.

I left Lynn Fuston's converter shootout wondering why people worry about mike preamps but not analog to digital converters which, in my opinion, are a lot less subtile when it comes to warmth, size, etc.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search