The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Digidesign 192 Digital IO Digital Converters
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Nut

Digidesign 192 Digital IO

Does anyone know if the Digidesign 192 Digital IO expandable with the Digi Ad or DA boards. I know that Digidesign 192 IO allows for additional analog boards to be installed, but am being told that Digidesign 192 Digital IO cannot be expanded with analog boards. Which is true?

Thanks

Regards...Yury
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Nut

pleeeeeze heeeeelp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

It's all digital afaik.
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Addict
Cant expand. Have 3 of them.
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

nope ... digital is digital and stays digital.
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

it's got a smaller power supply so you can't add A/D.
Old 25th June 2004
Lives for gear

This has probably been covered before, but does anyone know if I can take out the AES card in my 192 and put in a A/D card? I already have a D/A card in the expansion slot, but I want 16 inputs as well.

It seems silly to make a box that can handle 16 I/O, but only let you have 8/16 I/O ( or 16/8)
Old 25th June 2004
Gear Addict

Someone on the DUC a while ago claimed that Digi told them they didn't advertise that the 192 I/O could handle both 16 analog ins and outs but it was possible. I personally wouldn't try it though because I have heard it wasn't designed to do it because of heat issues but who knows.
Old 25th June 2004
Lives for gear

The 192 Digital looks like it can be expanded, but it cannot. Is uses the same chassis as the 192io, so that is the reason for the blank back panels. The insides are different between the two models, so the 192 is not simply a 192io with two digital cards installed. I hope this clears it up for you...

A 192io can have an extra A/D card or D/A card installed, but only one. Digi does not try to hide this info. All Digi TDM resellers know this, and it is plainly stated on the Digi website and in marketing materials. I realize you are just repeating info Vaphoron, but the original poster on the DUC must have been an idiot. I'm sorry that you were misled... installing an expansion card is perfectly safe for a 192io.
Old 25th June 2004
Gear Addict

Sorry I wasn't clear but I know that Digi tells everyone that only one extra card can be installed. I was talking about someone who wanted to remove the Digital card from a normal 192 I/O and put in both an A/D and D/A card. I actually looked up the post that I was talking about before on the DUC. I never actually read the results before but the guy who tried it says he was told directly from Digi that it would work and he even ordered the stuff from them through the artist program they have. He hooked it up and it didn't work and he sent it all back. I would like to think that they misunderstood him or he misunderstood them but I do know there are some people that just plain don't know what they are talking about. When I bought my HD Accel exchange, my dealer didn't even know about the promotions going on at all. He also told me that the legacy port was pointless because I could only use the 192 or my legacy interface, not both. Not all dealers are as well informed as they should be.
Old 25th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Vaphoron
When I bought my HD Accel exchange, my dealer didn't even know about the promotions going on at all. He also told me that the legacy port was pointless because I could only use the 192 or my legacy interface, not both. Not all dealers are as well informed as they should be.
Unfortunately, this would be indicative of a poor dealer.

FWIW-

To go along with their 'premium' pricing structure, Digi's TDM level dealers tend to be pretty tech savvy, on average. You got a bad one.
Old 25th June 2004
Gear Addict

I guess I can agree with that. It didn't matter all that much considering I always know what I need and they gave me the best price. I have talked to several other places that have some guys that really know what they are talking about including Alto Music, Sweetwater, Guitar Center (not all of them) and West LA Music.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search