The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Large Seaker Ideas Please........ Condenser Microphones
Old 24th June 2004
Captain

Large Seaker Ideas Please........

I'm here in Hawaii and the studio here is in need of some big speakers (unfortunately) and quickly. The soffits are large and can take a good sized speaker.
I never use big's , so ,any ideas and why?.
Are there any good speakers that can be either free standing or mounted?. Any ideas would be most welcome , the soffits are not too far from the console so they don't have to be ''big' big, just accurate .
Thanks!
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

**** Mike, I don't know how you can take it! doing a studio in Hawaii.... aaahhhh

If you want to stick 'em on stands ( not putting something in permantly), I've used the DynAudio M2 and had good results, if you want to mount 'em, M3. They need something hefty to power them.

Gotta go now, maybe someone else can give you some amp models that'll work with them.

Peace
Old 24th June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by entropy
**** Mike, I don't know how you can take it! doing a studio in Hawaii.... aaahhhh

If you want to stick 'em on stands ( not putting something in permantly), I've used the DynAudio M2 and had good results, if you want to mount 'em, M3. They need something hefty to power them.

Gotta go now, maybe someone else can give you some amp models that'll work with them.

Peace
With all due respect Entropy i gotta disagree on the big Dyn's.

Maybe its just the way they have to be setup, but i've tried mixing on a couple of the big Dyn's(Quad here in NYC) and after a while i couldn't stand them.

They are very mid heavy.

For a free standing soffit monitor maybe this thread can help:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showt...&threadid=9809

(Hey Thomas B. if this works out you better invite me on the trip to Hawaii).heh

The problem with soffit speakers is that the rooms they are put into are usually built with a speaker in mind.
Old 24th June 2004
More cowbell!

I was gonna mention the Barefoots also--I'm sure they could meet the order for "quickly" also:-)

--K
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

well, definately not a big fan of the genelec nearfields but the big ones I realy like. I use a pair of 1038's as my mains but for my new room (when it finally get's builded) I will be seriously looking at 1039 or even 1035.

Mains are so rarely used but when one does need them theye are heaven sent. Only yesterday I don't know what I would have done without them. Had to mix a song with a Sub Bass / Drums / drumloop .... without the mains no way in telling and I did get it all wrong on the nearfields.

But to be hinest they get more used as an expensive hairdryer for A&R's who walk in wet from the belgian rain.
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Head

Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
With all due respect Entropy i gotta disagree on the big Dyn's.

Maybe its just the way they have to be setup, but i've tried mixing on a couple of the big Dyn's(Quad here in NYC) and after a while i couldn't stand them.

They are very mid heavy.
Each to their own Thrill.

I used to use M4 (the quads) and they were soffit. The room wasn't designed for it but they kicked arse. I've also been in rooms that were designed around M4's and they sucked. Go figure.

As for the M2, I have put them on stands into 2 different rooms, 2 different clients with 2 very different genres. One of the clients had 'em so he could move them between rooms. The other guy plumbed for the sub at a later date but he's mainly doing dance so needed the extra weight.

The mixes they are pulling off them are world class and going the Dyn route has certainly given both of them good translation.

I'm not saying they are the only alternative, from a client POV if I were in Europe it'd be Genelec's, USA .... who nose. Certainly JBL Customs, PMC and prolly Wharfdale would be worth looking at. But then again, prolly not Wharfdale.

jus' my 2 pesos
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

Your mileage may vary but I've always liked the ATC's.

Funky Junks got some used 100's. And I think Larking had a pair as well.

I'd love a set but my bedroom's too small...

http://www.proaudioeurope.com/index2.htm

And don't forget the sunscreen

Good luck and have fun.

R.
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

Old 24th June 2004
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

Soffit mounting can be tricky. If the wall is not massive, there will be coupling which will change the sound of the speaker and the room. If the soffit does not have an airtight seal around the speaker, it will resonate which will also change the sound of the speaker. Maybe fill the soffits with fuzzy pink insulation and try out spaekers on stands to find out what you like in there. Then install them in the soffits and see how they react.

Or send me a private message and I'll come out and do it for you!
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

I don't think anyone has a better sensibility for integrating large speakers as an afterthought than George Augspurger. His understanding of rooms and music are equal to his understanding of speakers, making all of them play very nice together. He did a great set of free-standing bigs in one of the small rooms at Hit Factory (Studio E) that I always loved.

How large is the space? Are there any prejudices on the part of the client in terms of speaker type (horn v. domes)? What is the design type of the room (lede, hidley trap, or heavy geometry)?

pm Bob Ohlsson and he will give you George's number.
Old 24th June 2004
Gear nut

Check out Chris Pelonis Signiture Monitors

Hey Mike,

I checked out the large Quested's & the Dyns and decided that I liked the Chris Pelonis Signiture Monitors much better. Everyone who has listen to them at my studio has been blown away.

http://www.pelonissound.com/ to contact Chris.

Hope this helps
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Addict

Westlakes. Big mother loving dirty gert translating like a mofo yet still able to make you physically ill with low end yet still project the 3D mids and hi's in your face but non fatiguing Westlakes. Oh yes. I somewhat like them.

using monster ATC 's this week and nowhere near...
Old 25th June 2004
Lives for gear

http://tadhomeaudio.com/pro.html

In my daytime profession of reconing speakers, I have found that these mo fos are it. Woofer is kind of based on the old JBL stuff. It aint cheap stuff but if you like that old rock n roll sound with todays presence give em a try.

Kelly
Old 25th June 2004
Lives for gear

I second the Westlakes, I grew up in the mastering room on a pair of TM1's, sounded good even at low volumes, but could kick serious butt if needed. The BBSM 15 is something they should have in stock in LA and they could probably get a pair on the next flight out of LAX, might have 'em 12 hrs after you call and give 'em those little embosed plastic numbers. The SM1 is thier top-dog ($35K-ish+), The BBSM 15's are around $10-12K from the last price list I saw, I think? They can be soffit or stand mounted. Good luck.. http://www.westlakeaudio.com/Speaker...es/bbsm15.html
Old 25th June 2004
Lives for gear

Since you have a large soffit opening, but your speaker requirements are not so "big", you might consider my soffit mount design. http://johnlsayers.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=718 It uses an oversized soffit opening in combination with a front "bezel" to decouple the speaker from the wall. It limits the transmission of vibrations to the soffit as well as giving you the flexibility to upgrade your monitors in the future.

Btw, you have to register with the Sayers forum in order to see the pictures, but the wealth of information therein is worth a few keystrokes!

Thomas

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search