The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
throw out consoles that meet this criteria. Consoles
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Head

throw out consoles that meet this criteria.

i have a friend who was just approved for a loan; 30k. he wants a console that will "give him the most bang for his buck", 10k is the max he will spend on a console, but the lower the price the better.

among the list of things he required that the console have was;

"I would like total recall and full automation, but not at some outrageous cost. "

i'm not very familar with consoles that have full automation/recall systems.. especially for 10k or under. sooo, help me out and throw out suggestions. i belive he wants a 24ch on up. nothing smaller.

the studio's primary recordings will be hip-hop... but they will be doing jazz/rock stuff too.. so keep that in mind. he also wanted me to mention this descion will have a long term affect.. so he's trying to choose as wise as possible.
Old 24th June 2004
I gather he does not want a digital console(which can meet those criteria easily).

The only 2 are a used Euphonix CS2(around $10K) or a Tac Tec M4000.

For more than $10k(between $15K-$30K) a used Euphonix CS2000.

Total recall and automation was a big luxury on analog consoles and to this day that hasn't changed.

If he is worried about a long term effect than tell him to change his criteria(or profession).
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Head

it can be digital.
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Maniac
there is a 48 channel otari console on ebay right now w/ a $14000 start price and a $16000 buy it know. i believe that console has moving fader automation. which is alot for a console in that price range. i know its more than you want to spend on console but the extra $4000-$6000 might be worth it
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Maniac

SONY DMX R100.

Also, ask your friend to stop by.
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NYC Drew
SONY DMX R100.

I'll second that for a digital board.......awesome unit.
Old 24th June 2004
High End Moderator

yep the DMX R-100 will fill that spot nicely.
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Head

excellent suggestions fellas. that console will fit the bill nicely. so it's settled. appreciate the help everyone.

i personally will be enjoying my mci 426a ;-)
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Guru

An Amek BIG with Supertrue auto fits the bill. There are known mods to improve the sound.
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
An Amek BIG with Supertrue auto fits the bill. There are known mods to improve the sound.

I'd rather have a DMX-R100......

I'm not a big fan of that board...
Old 24th June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by NYC Drew
SONY DMX R100.

Also, ask your friend to stop by.
A digital board for HipHop...hmm don't know.

Most of the hiphop cats i know around here have pretty much dumped every digital board and are buying old analog junk or just mixing in PTools with some kind of outboard summing solution.

And has the Sony come down that much?
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Head

i personally use a mci 428a.

but he insists on having a totall recall automation. and he's into the new era of hip-hop mixing. ie. clean, overcompressor, plastic. his style isn't that way. but he likes that mix style. plus he bought a few 1073's, a fatso and so on to warm up things so he'll be alright.

i hope more people in hiphop decide to take it back to the real ****. that 94 flavor. 2" and fat boards. fat mics. instead of studio u87/avalon and mixing itb with a bazillon plugs.

btw. i like u87's.. the older ones.. just tired of the 87/avalon thing in hip-hop.
Old 24th June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by golden fingaz
i personally use a mci 428a.

but he insists on having a totall recall automation. and he's into the new era of hip-hop mixing. ie. clean, overcompressor, plastic. his style isn't that way. but he likes that mix style. plus he bought a few 1073's, a fatso and so on to warm up things so he'll be alright.

i hope more people in hiphop decide to take it back to the real ****. that 94 flavor. 2" and fat boards. fat mics. instead of studio u87/avalon and mixing itb with a bazillon plugs.

btw. i like u87's.. the older ones.. just tired of the 87/avalon thing in hip-hop.
You know Fingaz most of the big hiphop acts are still mixed the same either of a 2 inch or PT(or both) to an SSL(same as in 94').

The only one recently who is not is Jay-Z(and some of it still is except for the stuff mixed by Serb Ghenea).

When mixing Hiphop you have to do a lot of mults and splits on the drums/bass and without latency compensation on board that will be a problem(which i think the Sony doesn't have).
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Maniac

fingas, please check your email......
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

if it were me i would stuff the 30k into investments which will prolly retutn half a million over a 20 year period and build mt own mic pre's and mix in the box in the daw.....
i can see buying consoles for 30k tho' if you are a big studio with big clientele and big cash flow.....
i would look at ROI.....
Old 24th June 2004
02R96 and the Sony I would look at. Of course the 02R96 is newer and has more bells on it over the Sony, but the Sony can still hold its own. Get out the indepth review of the 02R96 and Sony on Sound on Sound. Hugh Robjohns who responded on the Liquid Channel thread has an excellent reputation and gives the best in depth review on both units.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search