Monitors, is overkill possible?
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Head

Monitors, is overkill possible?

I´m going back and forth with the idea of buying these überhifi speakers for monitoring for tracking and mixing purposes. I´ve yet to hear speakers more accurate than these, and I´ve heard Lipinski´s and Duntech´s plenty of times.

But... this isn´t for mastering. It´s for tracking and mixing of mainly rock and metal, MAYBE some jazz every now and then.

Could I be overdoing things and should just be content with my BM5A´s? Could I use 10kEUR better?

.... I´m not even sure what I´m asking here anymore ....
Old 21st January 2008

You should spend it on education.
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

Good monitors in a well treated room is far more desirable that amazing monitors in an accoustically poor room, so perhaps your budget would be best spent balancing this equation.
Old 21st January 2008
Gear maniac

IS it a really big secret or are your willing to share your über hifi brand?
Old 21st January 2008
Gear addict

Get new converters if you haven't yet. The Dynaudios are a good bang for the buck, maybe after this some good room threatment and new monitors then.
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear maniac

I understand your dilemma, and in my own opinion it may be money best spent elsewhere. I have no idea what your current studio setup is (whether, like most have already said, you have a quality room, converters, outboard, etc.), but 10,000 Euros could buy so many wonderful toys/treatments/anything.

The issue with so many pieces of uber-top-end gear is that you are paying thousands more for what often amounts to a miniscule difference. Yes, the tiny differences may add up over multiple track counts. Yes, sometimes that tiny difference is exactly what you need. But whenever a decision like this comes into play, I cannot help but think of the four great compressors I could get for the price of one Elysia. Just an example, but you get the idea.
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear addict

give me the brand I say!
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear Head

It´s a new brand of handmade speakers, WoodWorks.

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search