The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Goodness! Why is everyone selling their Royer? Ribbon Microphones
Old 23rd June 2004
Gear Addict

Goodness! Why is everyone selling their Royer?

There's 3 in the classifieds section on here. I think mine's staying put...

Brandon
Old 23rd June 2004
Lives for gear

I'm selling mine because I'm recording guitar direct in (clean R&B) and I'm more in need of a Vocal Mic
Old 23rd June 2004
JB3
Gear Addict

Why is everyone selling their Royer

Wouldn't part with mine, I know that.
Old 23rd June 2004
Gear Guru

Re: Goodness! Why is everyone selling their Royer?

Quote:
Originally posted by frist44

Brandon
Many buy them on hype, then hear it's not for them.

no biggie
Old 23rd June 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

Quote:

Brandon
Mines not going anywhere either. I didn't buy it with the expectation that it would jump out of the box, walk over to a mic stand and climb up into the perfect position that would give me "the best sound ever". So far I have yet to be disappointed. When it starts going through my wallet when i'm out of the room, or drinking my wine, it is out of here faster than when a cop shows up at an underage drinking party.
Old 23rd June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:

Brandon
i just haven't reached for mine lately for the stuff i'm doing ( its been seeing a few electric guitar 'layer' tracks but thats about it.... just hasn't been my 'flavor' on some of the other 'fav' uses...)and there are other items that i know i could use more so.... as much as i'd like to hang onto it..... someone else would probably use it much more than i would.....
joshua
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

Ditto what Brownmouse said. It is a fantastic microphone that works on most everything. I just haven't been reaching for it much lately for the work I do. I have a lot of great mics though. It is king on guitar amps, but lately I've found that the good ole 57 can get me by more times than not.

Sean
Old 24th June 2004
100% outer kick duty.

I may have blown it up (again)

Need to test it / send it back

Pissed off cause I wanted to use it on my Ampeg combo for clean gtrs all yesterday .. but thats broke too! AND SO IS MY F**KING ENGLE.

Old 24th June 2004
member no 666

Quote:
Originally posted by claudemorrow
I'm selling mine because I'm recording guitar direct in (clean R&B) and I'm more in need of a Vocal Mic
Have you tried the R-121 on vocals? It may very well surprise you... remember to check it out singing into both the front and the back as the ribbon is set in the magnet off center... which makes the back a bit brighter.

Peace.
Old 25th June 2004
Lives for gear

I haven't listed my R121 yet, but if anyone has a mint condition Coles 4038 that they would like to trade for a Royer R121, let's deal! I need a stereo pair more than I need a variety of "tones."

I'd also consider trading my R121 and a bag of cash for a Royer SF12, or an AEA R88 or???

If I was still making rock recordings, I'd never sell the Royer; but for acoustic music, I prefer the Coles. Although I did just get a GREAT harp recording using the R121 about 18" to 2 ft off of the soundboard. But I just can't afford everything that I want/need, so some things have to go in order to keep moving forward as fast as I'd like.

thanks.
Old 25th June 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher
Have you tried the R-121 on vocals? It may very well surprise you... remember to check it out singing into both the front and the back as the ribbon is set in the magnet off center... which makes the back a bit brighter.

Peace.
I've been using an R-121 to record an opera singer recently and it sounds wonderful. Very natural. A good match for her bright and high voice.

-J
Old 25th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

Peace.
Fletcher, I tried it on my voice and it didn't work. I have a rougher type voice (i.e. Teddy Pendergrass). Thanks for the suggestion however.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search