The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
brent averill 1073 or 1084 Mixers (Analog)
Old 22nd June 2004
Gear Guru

brent averill 1073 or 1084

anyone use these ... see my other thread ... i am lokking to purchase new 1073 or 1084 and would love to save a few bucks if the brent averill stuff is the real thing ... if not i will go for the AMS 1073 or 1084 ..

thank you

john
Old 23rd June 2004
Gear Guru

no one has BA products?
Old 23rd June 2004
Gear Addict

I have used both and they sound great but according to a friend who owns a pair of real 1073's they weren't as big in the mix.

This is all subjective. I own a few BA pieces including his new 312's and 1272's and I like them very much. I do not have any originals to compare them with.

The BA 1084 was a rather badass pre in my book (of course my book doesn't have many pages yet). I can't say why but it was more focused sounding. Maybe the Q switch on the mids made the bass sound bigger by making a more pronounced curve. Avedis told me he could add the same thing to the 1073 pretty easily if I wanted. I think there's more to it than that.

I am still in the market for a pair of 10 series neve pre's. Since it's going to be a rather deep investment this might be the one where I hold out for the real deal. Then again, I might not.

Cheers, Wm.
Old 23rd June 2004
Gear Head

Re: brent averill 1073 or 1084

Quote:
Originally posted by jwh1192
anyone use these ... see my other thread ... i am lokking to purchase new 1073 or 1084 and would love to save a few bucks if the brent averill stuff is the real thing ... if not i will go for the AMS 1073 or 1084 ..

thank you

john
Go for AMS vintage re-issues. They sound exactly like the originals and will hold their price better. Awesome!
Old 23rd June 2004
Gear Addict

Does anyone have pricing for the AMS-Neve modules?
Old 24th June 2004
Lives for gear

While Brent now does his own neve-alikes, he also repackages original modules.

The new Neves are available only from http://www.vintageking.com.
Old 24th June 2004
Here for the gear

BA 1084's

I have a pair of Brent Averill 1084's and they are just awesome. I also have Trident A Range, API 312, Studer 169, and Telefunken V78 preamps and I think the 1084's are the best I have along with the V78's. The V78's have that tube thing that's hard to define, but the BA 1084's have a smoothness and definition that is hard to beat. I've AB'd the Brent Averill's with old Neves and they were, in my opinion, as close as any two old neves. I've found that the Brent Averill stuff holds it's value pretty well. The earlier post mentioned that the AMS units would hold there value better. It's possible they might, but they're also $3000.00 more for a pair racked. I've had discussions with Brent and he's a maniac for details and getting it right. You will not be dissatisfied with the BA's.
Old 24th June 2004
More cowbell!

Quote:
Originally posted by kenn.michael
Does anyone have pricing for the AMS-Neve modules?
http://www.soniccircus.com/neve.html
Old 24th June 2004
Gear Addict

I don't know what other gear you already have but any 10 series based pre/eq is a great tool. I started out intending to get a pair of them and decided to outfit myself with more basic pre's first. I needed many channels.

$5-8k in two channels is not kidding around. Blowing my wad on the two channels didn't make sense for me. I opted for two 1272's and four 312's. I rounded that out with a pair of Ward Beck 460a's with eq (not neves but still usefull and much cheaper), a Sytek and an old Ampex tube mixer with four pres. A total of 16 pre's for about the same as 2 neves. This is working great for me.

Eventaully I will have more eq's and among them some 10xx. In the meantime I can track a full band with quality pre's on everything.

The BA stuff is a pretty safe place to start. Relieable, friendly (chatty) staff, and it holds it's value.

Cheers, wm

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search