The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best method for shifting levels from -10 to +4 ? Audio Interfaces
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Maniac

yeah Aphex 124A seems like a really good box and i have a hunch its components will be better than Aphex 228... the price tag is most likely because its BI-DIRECTIONAL level shifter unlike Aphex 228 or mostly any other mentioned device in this thread... (un)fortunatelly i dont really need +4dBu > -10dBV downconversion... so the price per channel should be more like MSRP $350/4=$87 per channel of conversion (either way)... but i agree prices can be misleading measure of quality... also its not fair to compare 2 channel boxes with multichannel boxes where the manufacturing costs per unit are distributed differently...

all right, iam from europe... i go to ebay.com and pretty much buy ALL currently available 124A in the world (USA, Canada, Israel)... average unit price now is $55 for unit + $40 shipping... i sumed all currently available unit prices and shipping costs in excel (8 cheapest on ebay right now) and i get $853 before import tax... $1066 after import tax... cables: 8 * RCA>TS (twin cable) 0.6m = $71 + 16 * XLR>TRS 3.0m = $120... right now we are on $1257... iam not prepared to buy the cheapest cable available at my local dealer to interconnect gear worth several thousand USD...

ok its interesting option and i like it, is it an "irresistible" idea thats crushes the ALL-IN-ONE, HQ-SPEC, 1U rack Funk-tonstudiotechnik SAM-3B with couple of custom made 37-pin DSUB breakouts... well, we will see how long i will be ready to put up with this 37-pin DSUB nonsense...

thanks

Last edited by mizpulyn; 6th February 2015 at 07:25 PM..
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

Hi
If you could be bothered to learn to solder instead of complaining about a 37 pin D subs the cost for the cabling would be about a hundred Dollars or less.
If you can't do this, look up a local tech who can solder.
Matt S
Old 6th February 2015
Lives for gear

You know something we should have questioned also is the need for 16 channels. How many channels do you use at any one time together?
Old 6th February 2015
Gear Maniac

I have 2 of those Funk ton sam3bs for a total of 32 channels. I use my protools HD system as a realtime mixer for all my synths. 48 inputs on my system.
No need for patching. from synths to sam to apogee.
Old 7th February 2015
Gear Maniac

lol lets not question my setup please... than we could ask why would anyone need more than 4-track tape right ? if you cant do what Beatles did with a 4-track tape than you shouldnt be even in the business... amateur... what a stupid idea to have multiple machines hooked at the same time and patched directly into DAW... pure nonsense and gluttony... afterall these multichannel devices shouldnt even be allowed... they give people sinfull ideas

i checked the wiring diagrams with my unskilled eyes and see that most of the 37 pins are just grounding essentially:
- for unbalanced TS inputs, out of 37-pins there is: 8 + live pins, 25 ground/null pins, 4 unused pins
- for balanced TRS outputs, out of 37-pins there is: 8 pairs of +/- live pins, 18 ground/null pins, 3 unused pins

i have too much other things on my plate right now than buying a solder kit, bunch of wires, box of connectors, and learning to solder... but the job shouldnt be a problem for any cable maker since looking at the diagram, the 37-pins wiring seems to be very resembling to Tascam but with lots more grounding/null thrown in... it looks much like a Tascam pinout but wrapped in a stupid different form factor connector to make your life more fun...

here is a link if anyone would be interested to look :
http://i.imgur.com/mCXIcqx.jpg

btw. i must have missed the VDC tip... i will write them what i need with the diag... lets see how they react...

Last edited by mizpulyn; 7th February 2015 at 01:23 AM..
Old 7th February 2015
Lives for gear

Not trying to question your setup but it's a reasonable question in that, say if you only ran 8 synths at any time together, then you could use a patchbay or switcher and half the number of -10 to +4 devices needed. Just trying to find your best options to be of help.
Old 15th February 2015
Gear Maniac

ok i bit the bullet and ordered

Funk-tonstudiotechnik SAM-3B
(16 channels of ACTIVE line level shifting in 1U with adjustable gain trimmers)

+ 4 custom made breakout cables made by Redco.com USA (cable makers)...

2* 37-pin SUB-D >>> 8xTRS
2* 37-pin SUB-D >>> 8xTS

in case i dont post in this thread anymore its all working as inteded and iam a happy camper take it as my recommendation then...

if it all blows up i will let you know

FYI i was interfacing my synth collection (mostly -10dBV line level 1/4" TS outputs) into Apogee AD16x inputs (+4dBu line level inputs)... i use TRS patchbay in between my synths and the Apogee AD16x (thats why i use TRS on the custom made breakout cables)

cheers and thanks EVERYONE for helping out and for suggestions... GS rulez !

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search