The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U47 and C12 clones -whats out there?
Old 16th January 2008
Gear Maniac

U47 and C12 clones -whats out there?

im starting to look around for a decent tube mic. something along the lines of a c12 or u47 clone. prefer something w/ a variable pattern i can switch from the power supply. a pad and roll off switch would be nice but not necessary. so far i been looking at an older soundelux e47 or u95. i guess one is a u47 clone and the other is a c12 clone. so what else is out there? i dont have the cash flow just yet (still gear lusting )

i been eyeballing:
neumann m149
telefunken ak47 / m16
akg c12
soundelux e47
soundelux u95
red type a
blue bottle
wunder cm7gt

also, what is up with the power supplies? some of them look like the cases are the same ones used on the cheaper tube mics like the nady/apex mics. these higher end mics arent using the same power supplies are they? --like the telefunkens and soundelux mics. those are the ones the power supplies look the same. i never seen the inside though.

any opinions are greatly appriciated. im trying to keep it in the 1000-2500 range.
Old 16th January 2008
Lives for gear

As n owner of (2) Soundelux U95's and an AKG C-12, I can assure you they are absolutely different in everyway. The U95 is one of the brightest yet warm sounding mics I own and I love them dearly. If you can find one I highly recommend it. I have seen them sell cheap too. C-12 on the other hand,not so cheap. In your price range an E47 is not a bad choice at all, bt they are going for $3k I think. The cheaper Telefunken AK47 or MK's might be good for you a well. Who knows really, just listen to as many Mics as possible and find the one you like and can afford.
Old 16th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Gear Pimp View Post
im starting to look around for a decent tube mic. something along the lines of a c12 or u47 clone. prefer something w/ a variable pattern i can switch from the power supply. a pad and roll off switch would be nice but not necessary. so far i been looking at an older soundelux e47 or u95. i guess one is a u47 clone and the other is a c12 clone. so what else is out there? i dont have the cash flow just yet (still gear lusting )

i been eyeballing:
neumann m149
telefunken ak47 / m16
akg c12
soundelux e47
soundelux u95
red type a
blue bottle
wunder cm7gt

also, what is up with the power supplies? some of them look like the cases are the same ones used on the cheaper tube mics like the nady/apex mics. these higher end mics arent using the same power supplies are they? --like the telefunkens and soundelux mics. those are the ones the power supplies look the same. i never seen the inside though.

any opinions are greatly appriciated. im trying to keep it in the 1000-2500 range.
Well, we make both. We offer two different types of U 47's. The first is the U 47M that has an EF-14 tube and a modern style power supply. The second is the U 47AE, which uses our VF-14k tube and has an NG style power supply. Both of the microphones are long body. We also offer three different C12's that we call the Ela M 12. The first of the three is the M 12F. This microphone uses our TK12 capsule and a modern style power supply. The second is called the M 12, which uses our newly made CK12 capsule and has a vintage style power supply with the pattern selector built in. The third microphone is called the M 12V. This mic uses an original Austrian-made AKG CK12 capsule and the vintage style power supply with external pattern selector box. Additional information about these mics can be found on our website telefunkenusa.com. I hope that helps.

Last edited by T- Funk Ian; 16th January 2008 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Didn't want a hyperlink in there.
Old 16th January 2008
Lives for gear

in your price range you should be looking at peluso...
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Oh, I should also add that my post was intended to answer the question of "what's out there for U 47 and C 12 clones," not necessarily what he should buy in his price range.
Old 17th January 2008
Gear Nut

As a owner of a few Soundelux mics, let me just say you cant go wrong with just about any of them. But if your looking for a u47 clone, I LOVE my e47c, GREAT for anything you put in front of it. VOX, acoustic Gtr, drum room mic, and much more!!! But I've heard many good things about Wunder Audio's CM7 AND CM7-GT, and Peluso's 2247LE (plus a big $$$ savings on the Peluso)
As far as c12 clones go, I haven't tried Peluso's P12, but it is something I will be looking into for myself as a c12 clone in the near future, I have bought a few mics from Peluso, and they do make very well made/sounding products...
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Nut

The Lawson L47 is a fantastic mic.. got mine a couple of months ago and it's just amazing.. and it's big.. and GOLD!
Old 11th February 2008
Pastor Obviedo
Quote:

i been eyeballing:
neumann m149
telefunken ak47 / m16
akg c12
soundelux e47
soundelux u95
red type a
blue bottle
wunder cm7gt

E47... what an amazing mic!

David Bock is a genious.

Pastor Obviedo.
Old 11th February 2008
Lives for gear

this may kill some, and i have no idea what an original sounds like

but i bought an avantone cv-12 and have really really liked it, it ships with the flight case, 3 tubes, wood case, shock mount etc and its built like a tank

for 499

and it is great for me, although the only other well higher end mic i have is a peluso 22 251

AVANTONE CV-12 TUBE MIC

great customer support to when i had initial questions
Old 11th February 2008
Gear Maniac

I got my Lawson MP47 last week,...in brushed nickel

on acoustic guitar is super, incredible mic , talk to Gene....

Welcome to Lawson Microphones
Old 3rd June 2008
Gear Maniac

i got something

so i thought i would bring this thread back from the dead...

i recently bought a soundelux u95 on ebay. i havent gotten it yet. but im happy..

so would you guys say the u95 is closer to a c12 or a u67?

also whats the debate with the older u95 mics? i see they made the u95s and the u99. are tubes still available for the u95? and is this mic and power supply made in china?? i thought i read somewhere that it was, then read other places that its not.

i was kinda hoping to get a tube mic that had roll offs and a few pad levels on the mic. but what the hey. im sure ill get by with out it.

i also been pondering if i should have gotten a used akg c12vr instead. but i read funky reviews on it. is it a lousy mic? or is it because its just not like the original c12 mic?
Old 4th June 2008
Lives for gear

You can try the "lewilsonmicrophones" mics, they are quite good. Not exactly a clone but the capsule is based on the M7, and the tube and circuitry he uses is super quiet.

-Dale
Old 4th June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfightstudio View Post
As far as c12 clones go, I haven't tried Peluso's P12, but it is something I will be looking into for myself as a c12 clone in the near future, I have bought a few mics from Peluso, and they do make very well made/sounding products...

I love the P-12 on female vocals. I also used it the other day as a drum room mic. very nice as well.

Here's the demo I posted a couple weeks ago:

PELUSO P-12 mic on female vox DEMO
Old 4th June 2008
Lives for gear

Peluso in that price range!

For a little bit more, Wunder CM7-GT!
Old 5th June 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
so i thought i would bring this thread back from the dead...

i recently bought a soundelux u95 on ebay. i havent gotten it yet. but im happy..

so would you guys say the u95 is closer to a c12 or a u67?

First, do you understand the difference between a C12 and U67? They are completely different mics. Opposite ends of the spectrum of tube LDCs. The only thing they share in common is a dual backplate capsule.

IIRC, the U95 is based on the U67, without that NFB circuit that rolls off the highs, that makes a U67 sound kinda smoky.

It's a first rate mic. You'll like it.
Old 5th June 2008
Lives for gear

peluso p12 is awesome and much better than the akg c12vr.

the peluso 2247 on the other hand is also a very nice mic, but no 47-copy on the market sounds nearly like a u47.
Old 5th June 2008
Lives for gear

hey

i like that recording hope we get one with a male and same mic too ?

reguards patrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Studio RI View Post
I love the P-12 on female vocals. I also used it the other day as a drum room mic. very nice as well.

Here's the demo I posted a couple weeks ago:

PELUSO P-12 mic on female vox DEMO
Old 5th June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark View Post
hey

i like that recording hope we get one with a male and same mic too ?

reguards patrick

I've been thinking about putting together a song with a male vocal and different mics on the same song. I'll get around to it eventually
Old 6th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddierodriguez View Post
peluso p12 is awesome and much better than the akg c12vr.
But, hey ... what ISN'T? LOL.

(Except a 149.) heh
Old 10th June 2008
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSoundFactory View Post
The Lawson L47 is a fantastic mic.. got mine a couple of months ago and it's just amazing.. and it's big.. and GOLD!
Agree, love mine too, gold with blue led light, hehe, wild man, and the sound, I love it
Old 11th June 2008
Gear Maniac

I have the Peluso P-12, 22 251 and (2) 22 47LE's and I couldn't be happier. Each of the mics has it's own character, but in short and on vocals exclusively, I have to say that the 47LE is round and full, the 251 is brighter and really sits well with dense, layered backing vocals and the P-12 is a bit of both. Also, it depends on the mic pre. My UA-610/Avalon VT-737 combo (line out from the UA, into the line in of the Avalon) has been my standard for the last 18 months and the Peluso's all performed extremely well.

I now have a D.W. Fearn VT-2, Great River MP2-NV and Millennia HV-3C that I'm itching to try with these mics, but I'm waiting for the Retro 176 that I ordered before I get started.

That said, you can't go wrong with Peluso's products or customer service. I love everything about the company so much that in addition to the mics mentioned above, I also own, (2) R14's, TR14 and (2) CEMC6 pairs with all of the replacement capsules.
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by trock View Post
i have no idea what an original sounds like
Wow... Just wow... Makes it easier to like though...tutt
Old 11th June 2008
The Mag Mic MM2000 would be my choice....not a clone, not a wanna-be, not a vintage HOG, not a beer can full of unusable filler electronics. Just a NO BS, hands down, BAD MOTHER of a microphone that [to my ears] offers the "elusive" texture that everyone brands to be a "___", this or a that or a whatever.

Take the "thermos" for example, "it keeps things hot, it keeps things cold",
How do it know?? Answer=Efficiency;

The InnerTube guys have figured out how to utilize 98% [even 99%] of the capsule. Does the capsule in your microphone do that??
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
The InnerTube guys have figured out how to utilize 98% [even 99%] of the capsule. Does the capsule in your microphone do that??
You say that like it's a good thing.
Old 11th June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjblair View Post
You say that like it's a good thing.
You want less depth in a microphone?
Old 12th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post
You want less depth in a microphone?
First, I was being cheeky. But honestly, it depends on the capsule. A friend had David Royer do a cathode follower tube mod to a TLM 103. It's a very simple, clean circuit, and you can certainly hear more of the capsule than before. In fact, you hear how unattractive it is. That's my point. Who cares if you can hear all the capsule, if it sucks?

Secondly, I don't understand the point you are trying to make. There are several mics that are very direct electronic paths. The Manley Gold Reference is one of the cleanest amplifiers around. A C12 doesn't have "filler electronics." Is Innertube using a cathode follower?
Old 12th June 2008
Gear Addict

Just curious- What's the word on the Advanced Audio C-12 clone. Anyone using it?
Old 12th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSoundFactory View Post
I heard the Lawson in a mic shootout test against an original Telefunken U47 and have to say I really didn't like it. Sorry mate. If you can, try and find an original, It sounds much smoother.
Old 12th June 2008
Lives for gear

I'm really enjoying using my collection of Soundelux repro's: 2 e47s (hugely deep and fat, but with air), 2 U99s (bright and shimmery, but with depth), and 3 e49s (all around tubey goodness).

Greg

Old 12th June 2008
Lives for gear

I have a B.L.U.E. Bottle and a pair of R.E.D Type A's and have also heard the Peluso's. I think for the money, the Type A is better than Peluso. It gives you more options with interchangeable capsules, and it just sounds better IME. Another mic in your budget that you should definitely check out, is the Pearlman TM-1 and TM-LE. They are amazing microphones for the money. as usual ymmv

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search