The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aeron versus Mirra?
Old 19th June 2004
Lives for gear

Aeron versus Mirra?

i had my heart set on some Aeron chairs for the studio, but i tried a Mirra today and maybe found it more comfortable.....anyone have any opinions on the difference between the 2?
Old 19th June 2004
Lives for gear

don't know ;-) aeron is too expensive... However I sat at Vitra Meda XL... it is about 1/2 of the price and I was very very pleased. Definitely good.

I don't know Mirra... have to check it.

Any chair suggestions at 1/2 of the Aeron price?

Thanks
Old 19th June 2004
Gear Guru

so your heart says "Aeron" but your butt says "Mirra"?

I don't know the Mirra at all, but when you say "tried" it what do you mean- did you plop down in it at a store, or did you spend an afternoon editing in one?

I would listen to my butt- however be careful: chairs, shoes, and beds are among those things that can be deceptive in a short test.

It would be great if a store could give you a 24 hour test drive.
Old 19th June 2004
Lives for gear

... ;-) now I see... mirra looks better IMO, and it is cheaper... wow and it it's more comfortable... what are you waiting for?
Old 21st June 2004
Lives for gear

Through 15 years of sitting on my ass in front of a console in many different chairs, the Aeron is the best. Goodbye lower back pain.

You can find them used for around $400. They last forever.
Old 21st June 2004
Lives for gear

I used to think the Aeron to be unchallenged until I saw this.

It sounds like comfort might also be depending on the individual physics.
Due to lack of experience still don´t know what could be most promissing, but that one at least looks like it might be a possible alternative.

Ruphus

PS: Another chair.
Old 21st June 2004
Lives for gear

This chair is also an excellent alternative, although not super-drastically cheaper.

-dave
Old 21st June 2004
Lives for gear

Damn, all the good stuff seems to be offered over in U.S.
The only somewhat versatile chair I´ve seen in Germany was insanely expensive ( also a mesh construction ) and when I tried it out in the shop I hadn´t even the feeling of a special seat with it.

Ruphus
Old 22nd June 2004
Lives for gear

OK, i've looked into this a bit more and have come to the conclusion that the Herman Miller chairs are nothing special.....definately a case of form over function with a healthy dose of sheep factor thrown in.

I've decided to get a couple of these .......admitedly twice the price of an Aeron but infinately more comfortable.......(i've got some lower back problems so i need a good chair).......
Old 22nd June 2004
I have lower back problems 'ciatica' and while the studios 3 Aerons are very popular with clients AND my back they arent any sort of miracle back pain cure ...

Reasons for getting Aerons

Client wow factor / comfort / brand recognition
Robust / hard to break / durablility / easy to clean (so far 4 years not a problem)
Studio staff comfort
Old 22nd June 2004
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by jazzius II
OK, i've looked into this a bit more and have come to the conclusion that the Herman Miller chairs are nothing special.....definately a case of form over function with a healthy dose of sheep factor thrown in.

I've decided to get a couple of these .......admitedly twice the price of an Aeron but infinately more comfortable.......(i've got some lower back problems so i need a good chair).......
I love my Aeron, and I am certain that I would love it, even if I never heard the hype. It's comfortable and its cool and like Jules says, robust.

that Hoganasmobler chair looks _amazing though. I wish the Aeron could recline like that. Well maybe I don't- I might get a little TOO comfortable and then...
Old 30th June 2004
Lives for gear

Aeron thumbs up

The Aeron is great. Never tried the Mirra, but the Aerons
seem to be omnipresent here in L.A. -- i.e.: you would think
they come with SSL's as an accessory, you see the two
together so much! Also, my ex-girlfriend works for Herman
Miller and got me mine back in "the day..." (cheap, too!),
so I guess I'm spoiled.
Old 1st July 2004
Aeron here as well. Very comfortable, tried out many before settling on the Aeron. Will probably buy 2-3 more for the studio soon...

Can't go wrong with the Aeron.
Old 1st July 2004
Here for the gear

I actually own a Mirra. Seeing as I spend most of my day in it I have to say that it's extremely comfortable. I think it's quite supportive of the lower back, although it's my understanding that the ergonomics of the chair aren't as customizable as the Aeron. Maybe for someone with a specific back problem the extra features on the Aeron make it a better choice. For me though the Mirra is comfortable, has style, and a reasonable price. If you like the way it felt then you really ought to consider it.
Old 1st July 2004
Gear Nut

I cannot recommend strongly enough the Humanscale Freedom chair:

Freedom Chair

They are not the cheapest chairs around, but they beat any other ergonomic chair hands down! Much easier to adjust than an Aeron chair - most of the adjustment is automatic, the chair just sort of moves with you as you sit forward or lean back. A nice plus for guitar or bass-playing engineers is the way the arms can pivot down out of the way, and then swing back up when you need the arm support.

I urge anyone who is thinking of buying a serious chair to go sit in a Freedom Chair before you buy an Aeron or a Steelcase Leap chair.

best,
sounddevisor
Old 8th June 2010
Here for the gear

Can you remove the arms if you want to track guitars on them?

How easy is it?

Any updated comments about Mirra vs Aeron?
Old 8th June 2010
Check out the Freedom from Humanscale, like someone mentioned earlier. I bought one and could arguably say it has been one of the best purchases I've ever made for my studio, back and a$$. Customer service is excellent and they will come to your house for any repair/replacement work if needed. And that's for a solid 15 years from date of purchase. And yes, I've sat many a moon in an Aeron chair and could never get fully comfortable (yes... proper sized chair for my build). Plus, they look hella cool and you can option them out so many different ways. And get the GEL seating.... well worth the money. When you're sitting and staring for hours on end, these things are a true life saver and worth the extra money over run of the mill seating. Plus, they'll outlast most regular office chairs you purchase, saving you cash and backaches in the long run.

Just a totally satisfied customer here... no affiliation whatsoever (wish I did, these things aren't cheap)!
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

Wow - six year bump.

Is this a GS record?

PS Jazzius' avatar always made me chuckle. We know what happened to Bush, but what happened to Jazzius?
Old 8th June 2010
Lives for gear

I've used a Mirra for years now. Some might be concerned the backrest is audio-reflective...I haven't noticed that problem testing it out for exactly that effect. A taller back chair I might be concerned with though.

I don't think the Mirra's arms come off easy. I have the super-adjustable one because it was on sale for $400 delivered when I got it. It seems very sturdy indeed...no real signs of wear on it while leather chairs I've had have fallen apart in a similar timeframe.

I have never been much of an Aeron fan but the Mirra is cool.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear