The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your absolute high-end "go-to" kick & snare compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Your absolute high-end "go-to" kick & snare compressor

Ya need punch, those kicks and snares to really hit hard at mix time...

What's your absolute "go-to" compressor or compressors?

Go...

-andrews
Old 14th January 2008

Today? My mood leans towards the SSL 9000 channel compressor!
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

I have been known to go Distressor on snare and 2254 on kick. depends on the track though.
Old 14th January 2008
Gear Maniac

I do speak with a slightly biased tongue but the SSL X-Rack's comps are monsters on the kit... if you're already an X-Rack owner they're as cheap as chips- and even if you aren't yet they're a great value investment.
They're the same circuitry as is in the Duality too...

In my opinion apart from controling snares and kicks as would be the obvious goal they add a sonic imprint to the sound that as soon as you hear it you recognize it - 'Ah , so that's how the boys in LA get the sound!'
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah it most likely would be SSL for me too.

J
Old 14th January 2008
I like an 1176LN on kick, but the SSL 4000 comp is pretty nice on snare.
Old 14th January 2008
I have some John Musgrave modded Neve V series compressors that I like for kick and snare, distressors also are great .
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

kick: 1176, tg1, trakker, distressor.
snare: tg1, distressor, trakker.
Old 14th January 2008
Lives for gear

I usually replace the kick. If not, an ADL1000 works well with the AKG D112.

Distressor or 1176 for snare.
Old 14th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Kick - ADR Vocal Stressor or Distressor
Sn - #1 is a 32264a, other option would be a Distressor, but it hardly ever wins over the Neve
Old 15th January 2008
Gear Maniac

I've been really digging the Chandler Germ comp on kick if not a DBX165a.
For snare usually a Neve 32264a or again a DBX165a. The Germ comps are just a bit to squishy and grabbing sounding for snare for me. Distressors are great too I just don't have excess to a pair right now. I got a pair of Purple Action comps on order who the hells knows when they'll start shippin. Even the Fasto could do some really cool stuff with kick and snare.

Matt Hayes
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

+1 For Chandler Germanium Compressor on kick!

I will NEVER sell my pair.

I also really do love it on a snare, but only if you toss in a good EQ. (I use a Great River EQ2NV)

I am a big fan of the venerable old 1176 on snare.

And Distressors sound great in that application too.

I think the new Purple Audio Action will be another pretty cool FET bassed compressor in that vien of the three aforementioned, fantastic units (We all know they're all too different, but similar in certain respects) ...and I'm really interested in the Buzz Audio SOC 1.1 for snare because of really the nice things I've read and because I've never used an LA3A on snare...but again, I've read and heard amazing things...and this sounds like a good modern equivelent to check out.
Old 15th January 2008
Gear Guru

Only preamps on kick and snare for me, i let the 2 buss final mix get the rest, to be honest compression is not needed with 24 bit vs 16 imo........... im not a drum smasher, i like dynamics a little.
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear
steven slate elite edition 1.5 & then summing the kick and snare along with the rest of the drums to a pair of distressors for parallel comp.

Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Kick is usually a DBX 160VU or a Distressor

Snare I like either a Neve 2264 (sometimes 2254), a DBX 160X, Distressor, 1176, or SSL Channel comp.
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
....a DBX 160X...
+1 on that. I've used those with good results. Come to think of it, pretty much any dbx on any kind of drum will give usable, if not excellent, results.
Old 15th January 2008
Gear Addict

What about Fatso? i think that spank with warm could make good results with snare or room/paralell compression......
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Kick: SSL X-Rack or Channel Dynamics
Snare: Buzz Audio Potion
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

"go to" for kicks would be dbx 160VU or 161
Never managed to find a "go to" for snare..but a spectrasonics 610 would be a good place to start..seems to work out okay about half the time.

what about you, btw? what u using?
Old 15th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Everyone is sayin Distressor....GLORY COMP? c'mon slutz on kick drum and snares the Glory Comp IMO will hunt, harvest, and digest the Distressor...Anyone agree?
Old 15th January 2008
member no 666

I really hate compression on drums... if you can't get "the sound" without resorting to compression you should spend more time on tuning the things, microphone selection and placment and choice of mic pre's.

If you get your drums to absolutely slam on their "raw" tracks then mixing can be an entirely creative event instead of a "salvage" event [in which case I still hate compression over the actual drum track... but some parallel compression can do wonders... watch your gain staging!!].

Best of luck with it.
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Lately, I've been a big fan of overdriving preamps a little for their transient compression.
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I really hate compression on drums.
So, I guess you're not a big fan of any records to come out in the past 25 years or so?

Funny, Alan Parsons said the same thing in reference to mixing Dark Side of the Moon, and I'm not a big fan of the drums on that one. I always felt like they're kinda p*ssy. To each their own.

Ow!

What was that, a rock?

Ok, ok, the Roto Toms in "Time" are pretty cool.

Ow. Hey, quit throwin' those!

Ok, I guess the regular Toms on "Brain Damage" sound ok... if you like really cheesy fills.

Crap! That one hurt. Ok. I'm done now.
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I really hate compression on drums... if you can't get "the sound" without resorting to compression you should spend more time on tuning the things, microphone selection and placment and choice of mic pre's.

If you get your drums to absolutely slam on their "raw" tracks then mixing can be an entirely creative event instead of a "salvage" event [in which case I still hate compression over the actual drum track... but some parallel compression can do wonders... watch your gain staging!!].

Best of luck with it.
While I agree that a well tuned, well played, well recorded and natural sounding kit is a wonderful thing, there are also many great drum sounds that owe a lot to a large amount of compressors & compression.
Old 15th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best of luck with it.
Theoretically yes, practically NO.

Alan Smart
Germanium
Old 16th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best of luck with it.
Oh come on now Fletcher, are you just having a grumpy senior moment?

Compression on drums IS an instrument if done properly.

Imagine the vibe difference between drums with an Abbey Road edition TG-1 versus an Alan Smart C2, both great and two TOTALLY different outcomes for a drum sound.

Compression on drums can be played like any other instrument. Hence the question.

Yeah, get those drums to really hit, but then good compression can really be an added part of the sound to create punch and attitude, but... YMMV

-a
Old 16th January 2008
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
So, I guess you're not a big fan of any records to come out in the past 25 years or so?
25 years? Uhhh... more like 15-20... and no, I'm not a fan of the great majority of records I've heard in the last 20+ years... some, absolutely... most, absolutely NOT.

Quote:
Funny, Alan Parsons said the same thing in reference to mixing Dark Side of the Moon, and I'm not a big fan of the drums on that one. I always felt like they're kinda p*ssy.
Yep... gotta agree with you there... that drum sound totally ruined the record!!!

Michael Wagener played me the original "quad" mix of Dark Side next to the "5.1" version [which is WAY more "HiFi" than the original quad mixes]... and guess what? The "5.1" mix missed EVERY bit of raw emotion on that album... but the drums sound bigger and the other instruments and vocal balances are indeed way more "audiophile"... and it's so freakin' boring I wanted to strangle myself to find out if I was still awake.

I'll take **** sounds and an emotional presenation over the bestest, "tightest", most "correct" sounds every day of the week... twice on Sundays, and thrice on holidays. This whole idiot fad of putting every "hit" / "note" / whatever ya got "edited" into the "exact right spot" [and sanitized for your protection] is just bloody annoying [and has killed who knows how many great records]... then again my favorite recording released in the last decade is the Alabama 3 record called "LePeste"... which doesn't have any "newly recorded" drums on it as far as I can tell... then again that album is so far from "HiFi" it's silly... but it's dripping what comes across to me as real emotion, melody and sincerity... which is what I look for in an album.

As always... YMMV.
Old 16th January 2008
Viking

I really hate compression on drums...

Quote:

Best of luck with it.
Amen....

Bruce Swedien
Old 16th January 2008
Gear Maniac

I agree with Fletcher and Bruce on this one. I don't like compression on individual drum track(s), because the Compression sucks away the dynamics of the drummers performance. I'm a drummer and there's nothing worse than hearing the soft notes equal in volume to the backbeat.
However I do like a little parallel compression for some oomp!
Old 16th January 2008
High End Moderator

Quote:

Best of luck with it.
... and Fletcher is one of THE best drum techs I ever had work on a record. I have been using that same drum kit on at least 35 records but it never sounded as good as when Fletcher tuned it and set it up right. Take the money you are wanting to spend on a compressor for drums and hire Fletcher to set up your drums, way better investment (and a LOT more fun)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search