The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your absolute high-end "go-to" kick & snare compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 25th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadewind View Post
Uhm... okay, but noone is going to listen to a record on "real drum volume" simply because it's potentially damaging to your ears.
Ever seen a band live?

Brad
Old 25th March 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad McGowan View Post
Ever seen a band live?

Brad

Every day.

Tucked safely behind glass!
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

I should probably get some of that glass stuff...

Brad
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
Every day.

Tucked safely behind glass!
I can be in the room with trad-jazz or orchestra percussion but glass is definately a good idea for hard hitting drummers!

Andy
Old 26th March 2008
Lives for gear

No compression on drums would be great until you get a drummer who has terrible dynamics and can't play and YOU have to make him sound like Kenny Aronoff.
Old 27th March 2008
Gear Nut

I do not enjoy compression on drums either. I have always found that my mixes sound choked, dull, and unpleasant to listen to once I start applying compression to the kit. I do see my projects from start to finish. If I am working with a band whose drummer is not up to par, we have another drummer come in to do the work. This is all figured out during preproduction. If they are not okay with that, I do not take on the project.

It's fun to mix without compression!
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

Fun thread.

My answer: SSL or 1176. But for envelope shaping and enhancing a groove, rather than maximizing loudness.
Old 6th September 2014
My "go-to" kick & snare comp is SSL. Any SSL really. Second option for kick would be a 33609 and second choice for Snare would be an 1176
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by janek 68 View Post
What about Fatso? i think that spank with warm could make good results with snare or room/paralell compression......
That is exactly what I am doing now. I run the Drums and Bass out of the DAW into my FATSO, and into summing mixer, works a treat!
Old 6th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
No compression on drums would be great until you get a drummer who has terrible dynamics and can't play and YOU have to make him sound like Kenny Aronoff.
Can compressors really do that…make drummers sound better than they are?

While I get drum-bus compression I don't know why people are compressing individual elements of the kit…which is like compressing individual guitar strings in my opinion.

On the other hand, if it's acceptable to replace parts of the kit with sampled sounds I guess it's acceptable to do anything...
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

I'm just an amateur and other than the stock Digi Comp I only own a couple of different compressors (quite literally) but I LOVE using heavy compression (at the mix stage) on room mics, it works wonders to create a 'big' drum sound that makes my poor drum recordings sound more impressive (Also compressing heavily on a parallel drum bus really works well imo). Individual channel compression can add character fo sho, but I prefer the broader drum bus compression at this point in time.

I've not had much experience trying different compressors in my time (or at least when I actually knew what I was doing with them) but I personally love using a distressor (10:1 opto) or Slate VBC fg-grey on room mics and drum buses. They're pretty much all I have, but I love them and don't see myself buying another compressor in the near future.
In fact I was going to make a short Youtube review of the FG-Grey with audio examples on drums as I think it's great (YMMV) and don't see a lot of people talking about it. If I follow through with it I'll update this thread with a link so you all can hear this amateur's opinions

If I ever get good enough at tracking drums to the point where I don't want to use any compression at all at the mix stage I'll have won the game of life.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samc View Post
Can compressors really do that…make drummers sound better than they are?

While I get drum-bus compression I don't know why people are compressing individual elements of the kit…which is like compressing individual guitar strings in my opinion.

On the other hand, if it's acceptable to replace parts of the kit with sampled sounds I guess it's acceptable to do anything...
Individual elements? The reason is a four letter word, tape. We have heard the effect of "tape compression" for many previous decades on drums, and we still lust after it. Compressors help to replicate that sound when working on a digitally recorded drumkit. Nuff said......
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Individual elements? The reason is a four letter word, tape. We have heard the effect of "tape compression" for many previous decades on drums, and we still lust after it. Compressors help to replicate that sound when working on a digitally recorded drumkit. Nuff said......
Except that the euphonic sound of tape that you're trying to emulate with compression affected ALL elements of the kit…not just kick and snare.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Except that the euphonic sound of tape that you're trying to emulate with compression affected ALL elements of the kit…not just kick and snare.
Yep. That's why many use those along with tom comps, cymbal group comps, bus comps, etc. Transformers help in that respect as well.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yep. That's why many use those along with tom comps, cymbal group comps, bus comps, etc. Transformers help in that respect as well.
This is a great way to make the kit sound disjointed and therefore screw with the groove and dynamics laid down by the drummer.

It will not give the same effect as recording to tape...Far from it in fact.
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is a great way to make the kit sound disjointed and therefore screw with the groove and dynamics laid down by the drummer.

It will not give the same effect as recording to tape...Far from it in fact.
Sam, you don't make a lot of friends do you...........
Old 7th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Fader
Old 7th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sam, you don't make a lot of friends do you...........
We're on a public forum discussing/debating the use of compressors on the drum kit…what does this have to do with making friends pray tell?

Am I supposed to change my opinion just so you'll be happy and love me? Okay, you win.
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear

Guys, guys, guys. Let's not let this discussion turn sour, we're all here to discuss and learn our craft/hobby so let's not get caught up in any drama. Now let's all sit back and agree that these are some of history's most.... "iconic" kick and snare sounds :')

SNARE:

KICK

Oh btw, always rememeber that 'groove' lies above all else
Old 8th September 2014
Gear Addict

Elysia Mpressor so much control
Old 8th September 2014
First call:

Mohog 1176
API 2500
Old 8th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesClark1991 View Post
KICK

Oh btw, always rememeber that 'groove' lies above all else
Dr Dre is a beast. The guitar on the sides is rad. Simple but effective.
Old 9th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvester217 View Post
Very interesting old thread, I'm glad someone brought it back to life !

Some of the earlier comments by Michael Wagener, Fletcher and Bruce Swedien really caught my attention.
In all respect I dare to completely disagree on their statements to never use compression on drums if possible.

At the risk of being banned forever:

Michael Jackson records for instance - as great and masterful as they are - have never been an example for an "open" drumsound to me - quite the contrary -
lots of drum machines and samples with already heavily compressed sounds
and an overall IMPRESSION of processed and intentionally artificial (drum-) sounds.
Whether BS achieved those sounds without compression ( in the mix stage, and that's what we are talking about here ) is irrelevant to me, they do have a very compressed appeal to me - and I like it !

After all, it only shows that there are many ways to achieve a goal, many tools
and many different tastes.

I for one would never use compression to smoothen uneven drumming -
that's what automation or manual editing is for... but I just love compression
as a tone shaping tool.
One example of a drumsound I still dig after more than 30 years is "another one bites the dust" and that's a compression orgy

Each to their own, if you don't question what the old masters say, you'll never
become one yourself.

Im with you. But I do not compress if I don't need it. I hit compression going in a lot so I find I need less and less compression for the mix. And if I hit tape too, forget it.

But I definitely do not ever compress kicks. I've never had the need. It does something to the attack that is not pleasing to my ears. I believe I compressed a kick twice this year? And I mix 5-10 projects a month. The only reason I ended up compressing them was an error made by the person recording them. They stuck a less than desirable mic in front of the kick and it was not taking the difference in dynamics too well.

But you guys have named every compressor know to man so why even mention one.

But sure. Here's one maybe 2 of you have heard of.

Limpander.
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburg58 View Post
But you guys have named every compressor know to man so why even mention one.
Exactly...why indeed, apparently they're all the 'best' for the job...
Old 10th September 2014
Gear Maniac

Elysia Mressor!! Can do things others can't do, and always comes back with superior results.
Old 10th September 2014
Lives for gear

DBX 160 VU on kick and DBX 165 on snare does it for me!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search