The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
pro tools interface Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 18th June 2004
Gear Head

pro tools interface

i'm not to hip to mac based record, and pro tools in general. however, due to everyone and there moms having gone pro tools i'm going with the flow. so. i've loaded my g5 with pro tools 6.1.

i'm going to be using an mci 428a console. and i want to run an interface condusive to this setup. the most obvious choice was 002. but i want to be able to run more then 8 inputs going in at a time when tracking.

so throw out some suggestions. i'm trying not to spend more then 2500.. as i've already suck quite a few g's into the console among some other much needed upgrades.

btw. anyone happen to have a real clean pcm 60 or 70 for sale?
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

well, what concerns protools it is simple then .... a tdm system is the only solution to get more then 8 inputs at a time while tracking and that 2500 won't get you very far in that quest.
Old 18th June 2004
Gear Head

^hey thanks. i'm at digidesign looking into tdm systems right now. keep the advice coming.

btw, lets say hypothetically i got a 002, would the converters in there be sufficent for my tracking purposes?
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by golden fingaz
[Bbtw, lets say hypothetically i got a 002, would the converters in there be sufficent for my tracking purposes? [/B]

hmmm ... all is relative I guess ... maybe if you would ask me if I think that for the price you pay for a digi 002, it has decent convertors I would say yes.
Old 18th June 2004
Gear Head

well i want to maintain as much if not all of the original sound from my mci console into pro tools. i want there to be little to no sound loss. i'm not looking to enhance, just playback exactly what is heard from the monitors while mixing on the mci. make sense? are the converts sufficent for that? or should i get an outboard ad/da converter. i don't need the ultimate converters just good enough to put out semi-professional recordings. i'm basically assembling a imo very nice home studio that will be open to particular artist around my way, including artists that become contracted through my label.
Old 18th June 2004
Gear Nut

I had success with the presonus digimax ($800 or so) for 8 additional converters for Digi 001. You can send the outputs via lightpipe and still use the onboard Digi converters at the same time. That equals 16 inputs. I don't know if the 002 supports lightpipe, but I would expect that it would. Also, the digimax has inserts on each channel. I use them as direct outs for lower latency monitoring.
Old 18th June 2004
Gear Addict

The 002's have 8 analog ins/outs and 8 adat optical ins/outs. To make use of 16 channels simply buy an external converter with adat optical conections.
Old 18th June 2004
Gear Head

^awsome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search