The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best DI REDDI vs TAB 71 vs U5
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Best DI REDDI vs TAB 71 vs U5

I have read several posts about DI's but somehow no one really made a comparison between the A-Designs REDDI, TAB Funkenwerk v71 and the Avalon U5. How do they stick together? Have someone tested them side by side? Describe the sounddifferences a bit.
My main use would be for tracking keys but also bass and e-guitar....
Thanks
Old 13th January 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
A-Designs REDDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuewi View Post
I have read several posts about DI's but somehow no one really made a comparison between the A-Designs REDDI, TAB Funkenwerk v71 and the Avalon U5. How do they stick together? Have someone tested them side by side? Describe the sounddifferences a bit.
Thanks
Hands down, the REDDI is THE best DI box I have EVER used and ESPECIALLY on bass

And if you look around, some of the most respected session bass players rave about the REDDI as well.

You want solid, classic sounding and bullet proof (serious about that too, built like a tank), the REDDI is your thing... I could not give it a more full-hearted recommendation.

-andrews

P.S. Oh, you want characteristics, the REDDI is the only DI box (and I've used the ones you listed and many others) that has given me a tone that "added" to my tone, not just facilitated recording. It has a punch and throaty aggresivness that I find lacking in other DI boxes like the Avalon. Then I'll use it on something unexpected like my Wurly and it's mellow and the most chill tone... opting for it over a mic'd tone MANY times.

Hope that helps.
Old 13th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
P.S. Oh, you want characteristics, the REDDI is the only DI box (and I've used the ones you listed and many others) that has given me a tone that "added" to my tone, not just facilitated recording. It has a punch and throaty aggresivness that I find lacking in other DI boxes
For what surces did you use your DI Boxes? Bass Wurli,..... also for a standard Keyboard like Motif ES or something simmilar..?

You said something about that it has a big character....doesn't this give my recording always the same tone when i run over the DI? I mean isn't it too much.... or just right?

How sticks the TAB Funkenwerk v71 against it? Is it like the Avalon?
Old 14th January 2008 | Show parent
member no 666

🎧 15 years
Interesting... I always thought the "Evil Twin" was the best bass DI I had ever used... followed by the V-71 and/or the ME-1NV depending on the day / song.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Interesting... I always thought the "Evil Twin" was the best bass DI I had ever used... followed by the V-71 and/or the ME-1NV depending on the day / song.

Fletcher... i didn't ask for bass DI allone... mostly I'll use it for tracking my Keyboards. What would you suggest there?
Any Comments on the REDDI or the U5 also...how do they stick to the "Evil Twin" and V-71??
The ME-1NV is no question for me cause i need stereo and the 2 chanel unit from great river is to expensive for use as DI only, doesn't need a 2nd Preamp right now. (invest in other things)
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

My brand new evil twin arrives Tuesday...needless to say I'm excited!!!!!!!!!
Old 14th January 2008
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks

Are you recording stereo keys? If so, I'd look into the ridgefarm gas cooker.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
If you need two channels and are looking for primarily keys, for the money of two REDDI, you may consider some extra fire power like the Pacifica... or maybe something from the Neve or Neve-esque family (although Fletcher likes to rant about anything with the "N" wordheh)

I guess we're now getting into the "what's your price range" and what do you want from it" territory.

Like I said, in my experience I love what the REDDI does. And as for your concerns about stacking and multiple tracks, I say go with what sounds the best... remember, entire albums were done on consoles like the Quad 8 or a Neve and I'd take that character any day over a more sterile sound like the Avalon.

The M71 is fine, but perhaps not as much range as some others you may find, like the Pacifica, Brent Averill or some that Fletcher suggested.

Hope that helps

-a
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Reddi or Evil Twin,great for all things DI.

My personal fav is a Reddi and Littlelabs IBP together=Great.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For what it's worth there as several clips and reviews of these and other DIs at basstasters.com || welcome
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
This website is great.

Sadowsky DIs are really bang for the buck.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
If you need 2 channels take a very close look at the Radial JDi in 2 channel format.

If you can make it stick with a single unit get the Reddi. We have the U5, the JDi and the Reddi and others. The Reddi wins 7/10 shootouts here for bass, guitar and keys. The JDi is road proof, quiet, beautifully clean and well featured. The U5 just has too many options and we tend to find ourselves and the players screwing around with the damn thing trying to make decisions we'd really rather make later. It's a great sounding box though.

<GM>
Old 15th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for all adivices here! You are great!
I'll check the other boxes out too..
Can some1 give me a short (or better long...lol) description what are the main characteristics and differences of the REDDI and the TAB V71?

Has the REDDI also disadvantages or lacking in something? - already heard the gain issue... I hardly hear complies, only positive stuff about it....somehow strange... heh
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Has the REDDI also disadvantages or lacking in something? - already heard the gain issue... I hardly hear complies, only positive stuff about it....somehow strange... heh
Are you looking for a negative for a specific reason? The REDDI is highly recommended because its great.

I'd say the REDDI is more versatile than the V71 and stands up for more tracking given your "stacking" worries.

-a
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I love my REDDI! It's absolutely fantastic on bass. Right now, I use it every week on my church gig for acoustic guitar. It's great to have a piece of gear that sounds so good and is as consistent as the REDDI has proven to be.

I tried the Avalon. Sounded like a Mackie to me. I'll probably get a V71 this year just to have a variety. But I wouldn't trade my REDDI for one.
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
I actually run my REDDI through my, don't laugh, ART tube channel. Check out the ART on the basstasters site. Its clean with gut. I LOVE the sound.
Old 17th January 2008 | Show parent
bee
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post

Maybe you should try the evil twin and the reddi together.
Actually I'm kinda curious about doing that.
Old 18th January 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Maybe you should try the evil twin and the reddi together.
Actually I'm kinda curious about doing that.
yeah but they are hard to get where i life,

Want also to know negative things of the unit if it has some just to be sure if it's the right for me... thats why i asked
Old 6th February 2008
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Missed this thread earlier.

A bassist here.
I sold my Avalon after I heard the REDDI. No regrets.
no exp with either the Evil or the telefunken.

I doubt I will feel compelled to try anything after the REDDI. (famous last words)

I have a Radial St DI too, use it for modern sounds on keys, go back to the REDDI if you have classic sound. Mono is fine, let's ME place in st field
Old 8th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinlane View Post
I have a Radial St DI too, use it for modern sounds on keys, go back to the REDDI if you have classic sound. Mono is fine, let's ME place in st field
Does the mids come good on the reddi when tracking keys? Or is the Radial better there?
Old 9th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Does the mids come good on the reddi when tracking keys? Or is the Radial better there?
The Mids on the REDDI are great if you are looking for something with an amp sort of vibe. It sort of adds a little extra body to the sound. Go for the Radial if you want something that is just an excellent clean representation of the source.
Old 9th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Reddi is the ****. The U5's got sold after we got it. Its mids are nice but I like the fact that I can hear an octave more of low end with it than with quite a few other DI's. I love it for tracking keys.
Old 10th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
Mids on the REDDI are great if you are looking for something with an amp sort of vibe. It sort of adds a little extra body to the sound. Go for the Radial if you want something that is just an excellent clean representation of the source.
rcm, . . . get out of my head!heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I use the instrument input on an ADL600. I also use a couple of Radial J48s that work well.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Are you recording stereo keys? If so, I'd look into the ridgefarm gas cooker.
I second that! The Ridge Farm Gas Cooker is a really cool DI unit (the MKII version is also a pretty good micpre).

You have to watch the input level because it starts adding tube distortion if the input level is too hot, sometimes the -20dB pad has to be used even on unbalanced keyboards. And you can add even more distortion with the gain pots.

IMHO the Gas Cooker can really add some bite to keyboards, VST synths and vocals. I think it warms up the DI signal of a bas guitar and you can add some tube mid with the gain pots.

It takes some trial-and-error to get the best out of the Gas Cooker, but if you use it properly it's a great sounding unit.

Cheers
Frederick
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If you haven't tried the Manley or Fearn DI's as well, you're missing part of the picture...
Old 11th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post

I think I'll stick with the IBP. Since I need the Reamping option and the Phase tool also. Later If i have the money I'll go for the Reddi too. heh

How is the DI of the Little Labs compared to the Reddi?

Is the Reamp function of the Littlelabs on par with the Original Reamp and the Radial X unit?

And how would you deskribe the Evil Twin compared with Reddi and IBP?

Thanks a lot for all your help guys! thumbsup
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
If you haven't tried the Manley or Fearn DI's as well, you're missing part of the picture...
Yep, every DI sounds different.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Has anybody any experince with Portico 5016 - Duo Mic Pre / DI?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
Has anybody any experince with Portico 5016 - Duo Mic Pre / DI?
Looks nice but no go for me cause I already got a good pre and need a DI, Reamp and Phase Adjustment tool now.
πŸ“ Reply