The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best DI REDDI vs TAB 71 vs U5
Old 11th July 2013 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 1846071 View Post
Sansamp beats it I think
You owe it to yourself to try out a Radial DI. They aren't that much more $ than a Sansamp but the quality and detail is on another level. Quieter too...
Old 12th July 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
A lot of good advice here in this thread... most DI's do a pretty decent job of capturing the instrument, some color, some seem to be missing certain frequencies (which colors the sound in a different way).

I have found that no one DI box can do it all unfortunately... loading issues of the pick-ups used seem to make DI boxes react differently and you just can't get around that.

This is easily heard on the test that we did with Tony Levin last year...
The Ultimate DI test with Mr. Tony Levin: DREAMLAND ULTIMATE DI TEST (VOL 1) WITH MR. TONY LEVIN - YouTube

Here is the link to the drop box files... https://www.dropbox.com/home#!/home/...%2096K%20Files

So personally I keep 4 different DI boxes here to capture everything the instrument produces. It's funny because you can hear right away when something is "not right" with the bass but most people will try to fix it with EQ or compression when 9 times out of 10 I have found that just switching the DI out makes all the difference in the world.

The test was a real ear opener for everybody involved including Tony... and talk about someone who has recorded more bass tracks than anyone else i know. We had some heavy hitters there that day as well, Jerry Marotta, Pete Caigan, Adam Armstrong, Ken McKim, Terry Plunket, etc...

Just goes to show you are never to old to learn something new in this business!

Have fun everyone!
It's very possible I am messing something up, but I can't access your dropbox files for the shootout. The link takes me to my personal dropbox user CP. Any ideas?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hello SighBorg, what instruments are you using on your Manley?
My Manley Dual Mono pretty much lives on bass DI. I'll use it for toms (which its kinda awesome at) and background vox too. I've done the "try every pre with a DI and DI in the house" thing several times and everything else sounds honky compared to the Dual Mono's DI, this is against stuff like BAE and API. It kinda sounds like an amp and not a DI for bass.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It's weird, some people have no trouble and others say the same thing as you.

Try this one... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/6kx71g7wtrckujg/lF9PfeGh5P?m
Old 12th July 2013
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Hmmm....no mention of the RND 5017 or 517. Seems like any discussion of high end DI's ought to include these...

Sent from my SGH-T889
📝 Reply