The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 2254's on the 2-bus Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 17th June 2004
Gear Maniac

Neve 2254's on the 2-bus

Hey there,

So my SSL compressor broke, which I generally use on the 2-bus. I quickly drafted my 2254 compressors into service and...

...well, I need to do more experimenting, but so far I'm pretty pleased. Different sound of course (duh), but I'm liking it. Yes, they are amazing vintage compressors, but I always thought they might be too noisy for 2-bus duty...but so far so good.

Anybody else have any experiences with 2254's on the mixbus?

Just curious -- JB
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

I've used mine a bit although as they are not as felxible ion attack and release as you know. So sometimes they work sometimes they do not.
2:1 or 3:1 on stereo bus is nice, I liked it more then my fatso and 1969 to me. I would say a more sutle color then the SSL for sure. Although on a side note I just brought a Pendulum ES-8 and really liking it after a couple of days playing.
Old 19th June 2004
My neighbor Mike has a pair and runs them on the 2-bus often.

I never noticed them being noisy or dirty sounding.

this with a drum sub of a Alan Smart is what I see him do normally and I wish I sounded like this.

We A/Bed a bunch of comps a few months back and the Neves really glued the mix. The SSL made the mix liven up.

Completely different.

If were I, The SSL would do the pop/rap stuff and the Neves would do musicians/bands.

I am a hack.
Don't listen.

David
Old 21st June 2004
Gear Nut

Great on the 2-buss when the attack release times work with the song. They provide a great glue. I use them quite a bit.

Apparently the Chandler copies of them with the expanded attack and release times are killer....I still have to try em.
jason
Old 21st June 2004
Gear Maniac

I have a 33609 so I dont often go to the 2254's for a 2 mix.

I used to work daily on a neve 80 series with 6(!) 2254's in the meter bridge. I tried the 2254 across the 2 mix,and liked it for certain songs.

They are very tempo dependant as jason (above) said.

Low ratio, pulling back pretty hard felt the best to me for a dense rock mix.
Old 21st June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by jason

Apparently the Chandler copies of them with the expanded attack and release times are killer....I still have to try em.
jason

Its nice but smaller sounding.

I was never too crazy about the 2254 on the mixbuss(but i don't mix a lot of rock either).

I do like the 33609 though.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search