The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
FAKE EBAY BIDDERS...anyone been burned
Old 17th June 2004
Gear Addict

FAKE EBAY BIDDERS...anyone been burned

Have any of you slutz been burned on ebay auctions when Fake bidders run up the price???

I'm talking about when you bid $4000 for an item....and you are the only bidder.....then someone with 0 feedback runs the price up to your max bid amount...then goes away????

then in addition Sometimes you lose to the 0 feedback person; and the item is relisted a few days later with a "the top Bidder backed out on me" spiel....

am I being paranoid here? its very frustrating

Buddhaman
Old 17th June 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

Yep, it happens. I've had a few bids run up to the max of my autobid price, and then the person dissapears after going over.

Many sellers are requiring buyers with 0 feedback to talk with seller before bidding. There is a reason the more prolific ebayers have a 2 paragraph product description combined with 10 paragraphs concerning the terms of sale.

Decide how much you are willing to pay, and don't bid till the final minutes of the auction. Don't fall in love with an item that isn't in your possesion yet either.

Ever seen the P-P-P-Powerbook reverse ebay scam?The more ebay scams you know of, the less likely you are to become involved in one.
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

Yes more then once a zero bidder has come along at the end of an auction and starts bidding madly... I have pulled out of a few auctions because of that. Although it sucks when you find out that the zero bidder is real and you miss out

There are a lot of scams around... its gets hard to actually buy as living in Australia the stuff in the UK or US I cannot just go and get easy like. I have said I would pick up in a couple of local auctions that sounded fake, then the auction suddenly gets pulled or they email saying "Hi I am a Australian currently living in Indonesia.. send me your money you fool" Ok not the fool part but as if...
Old 18th June 2004
Gear Nut

Usually those guys are shills hoping to increase the price so you rebid. Its an old scam, and is against ebay's rules. I'd report anyting curious like that to ebay.
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

I think the other posts are probably right, but there is another scam to be aware of: "certain" ebay members have 2 accounts, 1 for the real bidding, and a dummy account which they use to ascertain high bidder's maximums or reserves. Once they know the max / reserve they cancel the dummy account bid and go back to bidding with their usual account, armed with the information of the high bidder's max / reserve etc.

Ebay's software is too vulnerable to abuse IMHO.

Justin
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

I've had items for auction get bid up high, and then the bidder or bidders cancel their bids at the last second. That collapses the whole bidding process, and can bring the price back down to the starting price or near it. Then someone else steps in and nails the item for cheap (or maybe it is the same person, who knows). The other problem with many retracted bids is that it makes legitimate bidders suspicious of the auction's integrity and less likely to bid.

I got burned that way a couple times, and now what I do if there is suspicious activity is cancel the auction and try again later.

The explanation of this regarding users having two accounts, one for fake bids and one for real bids, makes a lot of sense to me. The fake account probably changes quite often as well. When I've tried to contact the bidder cancelling bids, their email address is already dead.

Some bidders do legitimately need to cancel bids, and the courteous way to do that is to email the seller and ask that they give permission for this. From time to time I've had bidders request this, and I always agree to let them cancel their bids.
Old 18th June 2004
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally posted by Albert
I've had items for auction get bid up high, and then the bidder or bidders cancel their bids at the last second. That collapses the whole bidding process, and can bring the price back down to the starting price or near it. Then someone else steps in and nails the item for cheap (or maybe it is the same person, who knows).
Yup, you really gotta babysit those auctions...I've had this same thing happen too. So much can happen in the last 60 seconds!

War
Old 18th June 2004
Here for the gear

I've had alot of winning bidders who never reply as well.

What works for me is to put a prominant note in the listing (IN CAPS!) to contact me before bidding if you have 0 or negative feedback. And then if someone bids with 0 feedback, I contact them to be sure - if they don't reply you can remove their bid.

Still, a few last minute bidders leak through. Ebay has always refunded the listing fee for these though. I always then wait a couple weeks before relisting.

It's a shame, but it takes alot of experience (mostly bad), to learn how to work Ebay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search