The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve 33609 Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 14th June 2004
Lives for gear

Neve 33609

At this moment I have sold my behringer stuff and only have a Distressor left as my main compressor in anlog domain. I am thinking of buying a 33609. Or is it a bad choice because a distressor sound alomost the same? And a LA-2A will be a totally different beast?

I like the distressor for bassgitar and drums, but not to much on vocals.

Other gear and setup:
Nuendo 2.2
Cranesong spider
Genelecs 1037
Lynx AES16
Eventide H8000/Eclipse
Lex PCM91
U-87/KM-84/184 etc

Thanks,

Harrie
Old 15th June 2004
Gear Maniac

I got a distressor, 1176, Massenburg and more bla bla bla bla

Also i got a Neve 33609.

The Neve really sounds unique !

For Vocals I got a Manely Vox Box what is a Kick Ass pice of gear !

i love my Neve !
Old 15th June 2004
Re: Neve 33609

Quote:
Originally posted by Froombosch
At this moment I have sold my behringer stuff and only have a Distressor left as my main compressor in anlog domain. I am thinking of buying a 33609. Or is it a bad choice because a distressor sound alomost the same? And a LA-2A will be a totally different beast?

I like the distressor for bassgitar and drums, but not to much on vocals.

Other gear and setup:
Nuendo 2.2
Cranesong spider
Genelecs 1037
Lynx AES16
Eventide H8000/Eclipse
Lex PCM91
U-87/KM-84/184 etc

Thanks,

Harrie
Best advice is to rent one.

It sounds nothing like a Distressor.

The sound of Neve compression is unique to itself(that is why they are so expensive).

Are you looking for a compressor for tracking vocals or mixing them?

For tracking vocals: Tubetech CL1B, LA2A, EAR 660 or a Trakker. All work well and sound different.
Old 15th June 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Neve 33609

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Best advice is to rent one.

It sounds nothing like a Distressor.

The sound of Neve compression is unique to itself(that is why they are so expensive).

Are you looking for a compressor for tracking vocals or mixing them?

For tracking vocals: Tubetech CL1B, LA2A, EAR 660 or a Trakker. All work well and sound different.
Thanks,

My main concern was that it is much alike the distressor. I can get one relative cheap used.

I want to use it for tracking and mixing for vocals or bus-compression.

I know I will need more and hear great things about the voxbox and the LA-2A for vocals. Or am I ow missing THE vocal compressor? Cranesong? Millenia? Focusrite? Telefunken?

Kind regards,

Harrie
Old 15th June 2004
Lives for gear

to echo some of Thrill's sentiments

I can attest 100% to the virtues of the Tube Tech CL1B. He got me interested in it.. so hats off to u boss!.

Its really a kik ass tube comp with a hint of tube colour, less so than a LA2A. Awesome for vocals, great on bass, and as a general comp. Not so good on drums and 'fast' things but its a REALLY good, flexible workhorse that would be me first recomendation for a tube comp or first comp full stop. Sure its not as flexible as a Distressor which is awesome in its own right, but most people want something that will be 'gentle' and 'forgiving' as a first comp.

There is a reason that Thrill, Jon, Dave Martin myself and many other love this comp. Check it out and see if it gives you the wood like it did with me!

Wiggyheh
Old 15th June 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks for the idea! I'know someone with a CL1B and will try one!

Kind regards,

Harrie
Old 15th June 2004
Re: Re: Re: Neve 33609

Quote:
Originally posted by Froombosch
Thanks,

My main concern was that it is much alike the distressor. I can get one relative cheap used.

I want to use it for tracking and mixing for vocals or bus-compression.

I know I will need more and hear great things about the voxbox and the LA-2A for vocals. Or am I ow missing THE vocal compressor? Cranesong? Millenia? Focusrite? Telefunken?

Kind regards,

Harrie
There are different versions of the 33609.

To me the lettered versions sound very close to the Red 3.

If you go with the original or the new discrete version than you will need an EQ afterwards to add a little "air".

I think it works great on rock music buss compression(mix buss or drum buss).

It wouldn't be my first choice though when tracking vocals(more like fifth or sixth maybe).

I've never really liked the Voxbox for tracking vocals(i do like it for tracking a direct bass).

I think Wiggy was right on about the CL1B.

Its the best compromise among all for vocals.

Even though i hardly ever use it for tracking vocals anymore, its been the "NYC staple vocal tracking comp" for years.
Old 15th June 2004
Gear Maniac

The Cranesong Trakker is an excellent addition if you already have the Distressor. Very versatile.
Great for trakking vocals.
Old 17th June 2004
Lives for gear

It has just arrived here. it is an 34264, that was part of a console i guess. I could not find a lot of info on this particular type, but it has the B640 opamp stage, LO1173 transformer etc, so it will fit the 33609 description. Now I have to build a symmetrical powersupply....

Harrie

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search