The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Question about the KSP8.......
Old 27th November 2002
Gear Nut

Question about the KSP8.......

Is the KSP8 compatible with midi control units such as the Rocktron all-access? I'm asking coz I want to try it with a guitar rack system live.
Old 27th November 2002
Gear Maniac

I believe so......
Old 27th November 2002
AES/Light pipe 8ch i/o ready yet?

I am keen to get it hooked up to PT soon.

My passion for 96k FX outboard has waned somewhat, yarzzzzzzzzzz!

grudge
Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

Yes there are more MIDI assignable controls than you could ever use.
The are called Mods and you can have 40 of them per bus and 40 that are
global ..

Yes the ADAT/TDIF cards are available now and the AES option will ship to the US
in the next few weeks the mLAN option will be available in Feb.

I just found the coolest thing while debugging the mLAN prototype..
There is an alg that will not only analyze the phase of a digital stereo signal,
it can adjust it! I will probably write an article about that baby.
Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

Sure no problem. or you can have 8 mono effects chains that are summed to a MIX it's called a MIX bus (1-4 submixes for sub mix) or master mix you can also
mix down 5.1 to stereo this way
Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

You are very welcome

Here is a link to the manual

ftp://ftp.youngchang.com/pub/Kurzwei...ls/KSP8_UG.ZIP

ftp://ftp.youngchang.com/pub/Kurzwei...s/KSP8_ALG.ZIP

You may also like this online overview

http://www.geosyncmusic.com/KSP8/ksp8.html
Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

<<on the fly. The reason I ask, what if I was playing or mixing a passage, and wanted to bounce around amoung different presets? Is there a droppout when switching? Inoticed on the demo mp3's there's a gap.>>

The gap was to allow for reverb trails mp3 is not the best vechicle for that.
Changes should be seemless except for digital delays all digital delays "pop".

<<Also, how many instances of the same let's say plate reverb are allowed at one time. Lets say I wanted a plate, maybe the identical algo on all 8 analog inputs, but with different settings, than sent to the stereo out? >>

You can use the same plate 8 times if you'd like. You can mix and match freely.

<<Lastly, maybe I could forego the remote and use a pc sequencer instead to automate parameter changes\mix functions via midi by a pc sequencer/cubase?>>

Sure but the RSP8 is sure nice and is a pretty cool controller.

Ask Michael Wagner and Brian Tankersly what they think about the remote and if it's worth it. I use mine exclusively, but it certainly isn't required.

<<Thanks for your insight! >>

Glad to help.
Old 28th November 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Geosync

Ask Michael Wagner and Brian Tankersly what they think about the remote and if it's worth it. I use mine exclusively, but it certainly isn't required.

Glad to help.
Is there a KSP8 coming with just a blank face plate(Like Eventide Orville, remote version with no knobs on the front) a version where you need the remote but NOT pay for the knobs on the KSP8. This would be cheaper, the Orville with no knobs is 1.000 $ cheaper that is a good company policy. I am mean not tricking the customer to pay first for the unit with knobs and then the customer needs to buy the same (almost) functions on the remote. Pay twice get once???

You can also see what TC M6000 is configured like,no face plate knobs only remote.

I think the KSP8 is great but I want it cheaper with no face plate knobs, can you do that for me please
Old 28th November 2002
OK I am getting seriously interested - some advice please fellow Gearsluts!

What is my cheapest option?

I need to pick up an extra digital interface to integrate it in my DAW rig.. (must be digital hook up for me BTW!)

What is my cheapest option? -

Second hand Digidesign 888/16 (passes 24 bit via AES) + KSP8 AES i/o option?

Second hand Digidesign ADAT Bridge i/o (24 bit) + KSP8 Light pipe i/o option

Thanks,
Old 28th November 2002
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
OK I am getting seriously interested - some advice please fellow Gearsluts!

What is my cheapest option?

I need to pick up an extra digital interface to integrate it in my DAW rig.. (must be digital hook up for me BTW!)

What is my cheapest option? -

Second hand Digidesign 888/16 (passes 24 bit via AES) + KSP8 AES i/o option?

Second hand Digidesign ADAT Bridge i/o (24 bit) + KSP8 Light pipe i/o option

Thanks,
I think you should go with the 888

What do you think about the Dangerous 2 bus,(or whatever it is called) do I need it with my PT HD, I talking about headroom and so on.
Old 28th November 2002
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Geosync

I like having the remote, so I can sit in the sweet spot to fine tune the KSP-8. Also the RSP-8 has a few extra knobs and a joystick, which come in handy. Well worth the few extra bucks.

Jules

I'd go with the 888 (or better) and the KSP8 AES I/O. The AES card works great.
Old 28th November 2002
Why both votes for AES? Is there something fishey about light pipe?

Adat bridge is just 1U rack space... & much possibly cheaper...

Is the AES card more than the light pipe card?

Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by LiquidStrat
Thanks George,

Can mixes be real-time recall-able with it? . Does this imply midi-sequenceing?
Yes a sequencer is required. Midi events will pass through the KSP8 to a sequencer. Each bus is it's own midi channel and acts independently of the others
so you could consider it an automatable effects rack in a box.
Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by 2" Tape sucks!
I am mean not tricking the customer to pay first for the unit with knobs and then the customer needs to buy the same (almost) functions on the remote. Pay twice get once???

You can also see what TC M6000 is configured like,no face plate knobs only remote.

I think the KSP8 is great but I want it cheaper with no face plate knobs, can you do that for me please
It's a good idea in therory but in fact it wouldn't change the price very much and
would make people buy the RSP8 when they don't want it. We though about it to make the KSP8 run faster. You very idea was brought up many times in design review and we found a way to keep the KSP8 ultra high end and still affordable
to all types of users. By the time you facter in engineering retrofit costs, redesign and manufacturing tooling costs, the unit may cost close to the same. Let's say we saved you 100.00 and we took six months to do it. We could not have designed our new Rumour and Mangler

http://members.aol.com/kurzconnection/littlefx.html

We also would not have had the time to incorporate mLAN into the KSP8.
I believe that Apple will make Firewire and OS X the "New Standard" for DAW in the coming months. There are a lot of companies pitching in. It's an exciting time.
Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Why both votes for AES? Is there something fishey about light pipe?

Adat bridge is just 1U rack space... & much possibly cheaper...

Is the AES card more than the light pipe card?

Jules,

Lightpipe and AES offer the same performance during testting.

Either one will give you what you want. Pick what's best for you
Old 29th November 2002
Is there a price difference between the two option cards?

Old 29th November 2002
Lives for gear

The AES cost more than the ADAT option I don't have the pricing in front of me
The cost of cables will be more for the AES option as well
Old 29th November 2002
Ahh you see!

Old 29th November 2002
Lives for gear

And you get 16 channels of i/o instead of 8. Worth considering if you want to add another KSP8 later on... (In true gearslut meister fashion that would be the only way to go!) heh
Old 29th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
And you get 16 channels of i/o instead of 8. Worth considering if you want to add another KSP8 later on... (In true gearslut meister fashion that would be the only way to go!) heh
Not exactly..

All 22 outputs are active but only 8 of the 22 inputs can be selected at any time.
Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

I was talking about i/o's to his PT system... Sorry if that was not not clear enough.
Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
I was talking about i/o's to his PT system... Sorry if that was not not clear enough.
Aah I see. My PT ignorance is showing. Sounds like Jules would be best served by going the ADAT route.
Old 30th November 2002
I prefer the "vibe" of an 110 ohm AES cable hook up but I could do with cutting down on rack space. (and cost!)

heh
Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

The nice part is that you have a choice... or will have as soon as the KASE8 (AES option) ships. I would expect that it will ship in the next few weeks. The ADAT/TDIF is available now.

Either way, you'll enjoy the KSP8.
Old 1st December 2002
Gear Maniac

Jules ...

You'll dig this box. The last mix my head was burried in I slapped on a little rotor action for the basic organ (alas .. I have no Leslie or Hammond sitting around}. The hardest part was choosing between the 19 choices.

Hate to say it, but I'm not lusting for that bargan Leslie I missed by a whisker some time back. And with a good organ sound, I dare say nobody is gonna be sayin .... "That's no Hammond"rollz

I figure I now have future gearquenching $ that would have gone to the organ dept grggt
Old 1st December 2002
Gear Maniac

George ...

Can you morph 2 patches ? i imagine this would be a midi thing. Tracking mostly audio I'm a bit of a midiot and didn't have time to crack the manuel (never have enough time) but the thought occured to me during that last mix for two roto patches morphed ...
Old 1st December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by ghoost
George ...

Can you morph 2 patches ? i imagine this would be a midi thing. <<SNIP>>the thought occurred to me during that last mix for two roto patches morphed ...
Yes you can. you can even morph 2 effects chains and....
There's more than 1 way to do it. 2 come to mind quickly.

1: you can crossfade between 2 buses by using the panner and setting the 2 buses in the EQ/Send sections.

2: Another slick trick is to input into bus 1/2 and say 5/6 then assign 2 different rotors. Now use a 5.1 panner.. when each pass through the front that will cross fade in and out . to be even slicker add a 3rd rotor on bus 7 and 8 and pan them to the front L-R. Now you have your primary rotor on 7 and 8 while you morph in
the rotor on 1 and 2 plus 5 and 6. 3 and 4 are still available as stereo or 2 mono chains for guitar maybe...

The KSP8 is really really flexible.

We are also working on a 5.1 leslie alg. it's pretty cool
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

George,

Any insight as to how the KDFX for the K2500 compares with the KSP8? Was one developed from the other? Still struggling to understand the KDFX routing.

Thanks,

Yorik
Old 2nd December 2002
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by StoneinaPond

Any insight as to how the KDFX for the K2500 compares with the KSP8? Was one developed from the other? Still struggling to understand the KDFX routing.
[/QUOTE/]

The KSP8 is an evolution and large expansion of KDFX. The 16 PAUs (Processor Allocation Units) can be freely assigned. where as the KDFX has 4 insert PAUs
and 3 global PAUs. There is a big difference in architecture but many Algs are shared between the 2.
KDFX Overview

As well as the upcoming little FX Rumour and Mangler.
Little FX Announcment

Hope this helps.
Old 3rd December 2002
Lives for gear

George,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I just have to try the manual for the twentieth time. I'm sure there's a wealth of sonic magic in the KDFX and I will just have to soldier on one section at a time.

Peace,

Yorik

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search