The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec question. Studio Monitors
Old 11th June 2004

Genelec question.

I hear from everybody that Genelecs sound too good to mix with and are not that good. Then why are they in every big LA studio I go to?

I need monitors and I'm so confused, I like the way 1031's sound but people say it's hard to mix on them. I'm mainly a studio owner who produces and tracks, I'm not a mixer but we do a lot of mixing at my studio. I've heard good things about the Adams P-22's. We do mostly radio oriented rock from Sheryl Crow to Korn.

Any help would be great...
Old 11th June 2004
Lives for gear

the 1031 sound great for sure, they do almost sound too good
but isnt that the whole point, to make music sound good
i like mixing and tracking on them, but always switch to the ns 10's for reference, the 1031's seem to hype the high's
while the 10's seem to hype the mid's
but still i like to listen to mixes outside of the studio
(car/hallway/boombox etc..)
there are loads of monitor choices out there
best of luck!
joe
www.orbitaudiorocks.com
Old 12th June 2004

Just checked out Genelec 1031's, the new Events, Yamaha MSP10's, Dynaudio and JBL LSR6328. Too my not so trained mixing ear the JBL's rocked! I've heard that the mids are not so hot but I heard everything really clear and man do they crank. Listen to Puddle of Mudd, Nickelback and Eric Bonet. The Dyn's were great on Eric Bonet but the JBL's ruled heavy guitars.
Old 12th June 2004
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, learning your ears, and having your ears learn the speakers takes a long time. I've had Genelec 1030's for 10 years and am quite used to them by now. I switched from NS10's and Tannoy Gold's and was immediately impressed with the detail and the smooth crossover. Be forewarned that they're not that loud, and thus not very good for tracking bass and guitars in the control room.

If the JBL's rocked your world, you should get those. It may take a while to learn whatever you get. And then there's the room...heh
Old 12th June 2004

Thanks Junior. Bryce from Adams is bringing a set of P-22's to my studio on Tuesday so that will be very cool to hear them in my setting. Session is here gotta go...
Old 12th June 2004
Gear Maniac

Hi James,

i bought some new monitors last year and got some Quested VS2108. I used to work for 5 years with 1030s.

What i didn´t like about the genelecs is:

They don´t have much power, if you listen louder when mixing they really sound compressed, your mix seems to be tight, but it isnt.

The highrange is a bit airy, like the others say, they sound too nice.

I know that some people don´t like the 2108´s but they have a lot of power, the dynamics of these speakers are amazing, and the highrange is not so hard as with the genelecs, but it´s very accurate and has a good transient response

they translate really well and to me they are a fantastic tool to mix. If your mix is good, they sound amazing, but if it´s weak, they´ll show you.

Adams should be great too, i only know the P11, they sound a bit strange too me, but whenever i go to a friends studio how has them, i can judge very good what my stuff sounds like, and that´s what monitors should do

By,

Alex
Old 12th June 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Genelec question.

Quote:
Originally posted by James 'LA' Lugo
I hear from everybody that Genelecs sound too good to mix with and are not that good. Then why are they in every big LA studio I go to?

I need monitors and I'm so confused, I like the way 1031's sound but people say it's hard to mix on them. I'm mainly a studio owner who produces and tracks, I'm not a mixer but we do a lot of mixing at my studio. I've heard good things about the Adams P-22's. We do mostly radio oriented rock from Sheryl Crow to Korn.

i had a pair of genelecs and thought they sounded great.... except i could never get them to translate well on other systems, so i dumped them and bought a pair of the truth audio ta-1p's that i use with a hafler p-3000 amp and it is a huge improvement for me... ymmv.
good luck,
joshua
Old 14th June 2004
Gear Head

I have a pair of 1031's that I trust. I think they translate very well. I think the best endorsement can be found in your observation that they are in just about every big studio (L.A. or otherwise). Just my .03.

Good luck.
Old 14th June 2004
Gear Head

Anyone have input about the Blue Sky 5.1 systems.. They are affordable and come with bass management.
Old 14th June 2004
Lives for gear

I have the 1037's and they are cool. I had to learn to mix with them as I had really sharp JBL's before them. The highend I do nopt find very crips, but after learning too listen to them a lot of thing translate better.

I heared the Adams too and was impressed, but I do not jknow if they will translate well. The review where raving, but which reviews are not.....

Kind regards,

Harrie
Old 15th June 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Froombosch
[B]I have the 1037's and they are cool. I had to learn to mix with them as I had really sharp JBL's before them. The highend I do nopt find very crips, but after learning too listen to them a lot of thing translate better.
The bigger Genelecs are indeed very good, i think their 3-way systems sound really good
Old 15th June 2004
Gear Addict

Okay, I'm not a fan of Genelecs...any model. Having said that, they are really accurate in a left to right sense. The detail is certainly there, but the PLASTIC bottom end is just unbearable, for any length of time.
Genelec had a demo listening room at the AES in Copenhagen in 96, and that was certainly interesting. The entire range was represented, and the consistency of sound from model to model was very good...but the rep would NOT crank any of the systems much beyond conversation level.
After trying several models in our control room for an extended period, I find them unlistenable...and 7 years down the track have never regretted our decision to buy Questeds.
I never found them to be "too good" to mix on...quite the opposite.

Cheers,
Tim
Old 15th June 2004
Lives for gear

the most undiscoverd Genelecs' are the 3 way S30's....which has been wearing a ribbon tweeter while SrBryce was in diapers...but its good to see all the fuss over the ADAMs as they validate the Genny's ribbon as a solution...i would like to see them employed in the larger monitors as ADAM has
Old 15th June 2004
I always thought the Genelecs sounded way too hard for me, like a hammer hitting an anvil. Very tough to listen to for me, if I had to mix on them I would probably go home and bury my ears in a pillow.

Even after extensive rebuilding, the power amps just suck.

Does anyone know of a decent power amp that can fit in the back of a 8" monitor?

Thought so.

Go passive, pick a real amp and go home happy.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 15th June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by MIKEHARRIS
the most undiscoverd Genelecs' are the 3 way S30's....which has been wearing a ribbon tweeter while SrBryce was in diapers...but its good to see all the fuss over the ADAMs as they validate the Genny's ribbon as a solution...i would like to see them employed in the larger monitors as ADAM has
Agreed on the S30's.

Also Apogee has some ribbon tweeter speakers.
Old 15th June 2004

The past week or so has been a huge period of growth for me. Listening to countless dozens of speakers I really understand how important monitors are. I've listen to the same tunes on all these other speakers that I've listen to in my own studio and am hearing shakers, out of time guitars and gates opening and closing, things that I never heard before! So far I really like the new JBL LSR6328's but David from Adam is bringing by a pair of P-22's to my studio today, so I'll see how they sound.
Old 15th June 2004
Gear Addict

Re: Genelec question.

Quote:

Monitors are a very personal thing and take time to learn. Any monitor can relate to the outside world once you get used to it,and how it reacts in different situations. With that being said,you should try out as many pairs as possible till you find ones that suit your needs. As far as all the studios having Genelecs,they have them because many different people are working in those rooms and they are almost expected. Most studios have several different kinds of speakers depending on whats been asked for in the past or what is popular. There was a time when every studio had a set of NS 10's as well.tutt
Old 15th June 2004
Lives for gear

Criteria tried the Apogee speaker a few years ago as a Control room monitor...they were HiFi speakers...total ribbon...but smooth..SLS makes PA speakers with ribbon tweeters...and studio mons
Old 16th June 2004

We bought the ADAM P 22-A's today from David Bryce. He came by and we listen for 2 hours to music, mixes, drum tracks, 24 bit, 16 bit etc... What a massive upgrade from our Behrengers!

We are suppose to be tracking today but we are stuck on listening to Jeff Buckley's Grace album, over and over again. Beside the speakers bringing out so much in the record it has also weirded us out thinking he is dead. Jeff was the real deal.
Old 16th June 2004
Gear Head

I've been tracking and mixing on a pair of Genelec S30-C's for around five years now. I generally don't monitor at high levels but the tri-amped S30's can push some air when called upon to do so. Many times I've heard the 'Genelec's sound too good' school of thought but disagree. I can track or mix for extended periods without fatigue, they exhibit a detailed and well balanced sound with no coloration, and have a nice wide dispersion pattern. Their response can be specifically contoured to the type and position in the listening environment through dip switch adjustments...
As time goes by I continue to make improvements (acoustically) in my control room- So far that's made more difference than anything about what I hear coming out of the monitors. All in all I find the S30-C's have stood the test of time. I also use a pair of Tannoy System 8 dual concentrics (Hafler 2400 power amp) and a cheap pair of Optimus AV's to check my mixes.
Old 16th June 2004
Quote:

We are suppose to be tracking today but we are stuck on listening to Jeff Buckley's Grace album, over and over again.
Its funny because Andy Wallace mixes on NS10's and Genelec 1031's.
Old 16th June 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Its funny because Andy Wallace mixes on NS10's and Genelec 1031's.
man, his mixes must suck.. I bet he uses SSL too.....
Old 16th June 2004
Re: Re: Genelec question.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tousana
There was a time when every studio had a set of NS 10's as well.tutt
And what's wrong with that?
Old 16th June 2004
Gear Addict

Thrill, This was just an observation on the fact that speakers come and go not only on merit but on popularity. I myself used and still from time to time reference on NS 10's,so there's nothing wrong with that!
Old 16th June 2004

I worked all night on the new ADAM's and am really digging them. It's a lot more fun in the studio now hearing all the detail in the music. Plus they look cool as ****!
Old 17th June 2004

I have one thing to say, I can't believe I waited so long to get serious studio monitors. I feel like a fool, people told me how important they are but I didn't listen. I can't believe the sound of these ADAM's!
Old 17th June 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by Tousana
Thrill, This was just an observation on the fact that speakers come and go not only on merit but on popularity. I myself used and still from time to time reference on NS 10's,so there's nothing wrong with that!
I was just kidding.
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

2 years ago we did some recordings in my studio.I have 1031 and ns 10.Then we had to go to another studio for vocals recording( a 2million euros studio)
They have Quested far-mid-near.When I listen to my rought mixes there I said "God that sounds great"
When I listen to their recordings in the Genelecs,sounded like crap!
My opinion about my mixes was that it was just ok!
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Yiannis
2 years ago we did some recordings in my studio.I have 1031 and ns 10.Then we had to go to another studio for vocals recording( a 2million euros studio)
They have Quested far-mid-near.When I listen to my rought mixes there I said "God that sounds great"
When I listen to their recordings in the Genelecs,sounded like crap!
My opinion about my mixes was that it was just ok!
Sounds like the genelec's were showing the true nature of the audio...

in a studio Questeds might sound great....but they're lying to you...and that's probably why the studio had them.

I hate the sound of Quested nearfields....I'd rather listen to my parents fart.
Old 18th June 2004
Lives for gear

yes a very good trick!!!

Very smooth very detailed everything sounded perfect!!I didn't believe that i did those mixes!!

Well with genelec's sometimes I have to work hard to get what I want but then it sounds great everywhere else.
I check my mixes on the ns 10m and also on my yamaha Yst-m101 computer speakers.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search