The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genelec 8240/8250's vs Adam A7s etc Studio Monitors
Old 3rd January 2008

Genelec 8240/8250's vs Adam A7s etc

From what I can tell the 8240/8250 is the 8040/8050 with the DSP and AutoCal capability. I'm looking to get a pair of 8240's or 8250's or A7's to run along side my Blue Sky 5.1 - using the Genelec's or Adams as primary monitoring. I will spend time previewing them but am wondering if you have any advice.
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear Head

Dont like the A7, it was a long time ago so i cant tell you exectly why.
but i think the Adam P11A are more accurate then Genelec and i like their sound much better.

Regards,
Stomper.
Old 3rd January 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stomper View Post
Dont like the A7, it was a long time ago so i cant tell you exectly why.
but i think the Adam P11A are more accurate then Genelec and i like their sound much better.

Regards,
Stomper.
thanks
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

I think it isn't a fair comparison. 8250/40 even 8050/40 are much better monitors than A7. They have much better amps inside and more acurate sound along the whole spectrum. If you cannot get at least S2, S2.5 or S3 I would choose Genelec over ADAM's A and P series all the way.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear
Agree that the price difference is huge with an A7 and genelec 8040 or 8050. I worked alot for sometime ago with genelec 8050, I would prefer an adam p33a or higher than a genelec.
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

Having been a big Adam fan myself for nearly 3 years and owning the P33As (after trying P11s and S3a's) i really enjoyed the detailed sound of these speakers. They are wonderful for hearing audio without the gloss imo. I sold the P33A's with slight regret...

Since '06 i moved onto a pair of Genelec 8050A's (tried 8040s too), got a great deal and so i bought them. Still using using my 8050A's with excellent mix results for nearly two years, and i can tell you for a fact they perform much better from lows to highs than any A series (having also heard the A7s) and P series monitor...but...only in the lows and highs imo. The 8050s are much bigger sounding too (bigger amps and bigger bass/mid drivers, also cost alot more), with greater depth and have the lowend feel factor for playback vibe that most smaller Adam speakers seem to lack. I felt the low end of the 8050s to be similar to the K+H o300D that i demoed, which i really loved.

I still prefer the Adam mids (somehow more forward than the Gens), and am always talking myself into and out of buying a pair of P11s or A7s as smaller references (someday). I do feel that these would compliment the 8050s rather than compete with them imho.
Old 4th January 2008
Here for the gear

No Comparisson

The A7 are great sounding speaker, but for this very reason they're not suited for mixing, you can't trust them. I think the genelecs are far better monitors as they 'give it to you raw'. They're very acurate.

I have a pair of 8040 in my studio and want the A7 for my living room.
Old 4th January 2008

the Barefoot MM27's seem to be popping up as the new hot thing -

To avoid the sub hassle the MM27's seem like the choice to save up the $'s for

I'm going to try to find a place to listen to the MM27's and 8040/8050 - 8240/8250's and S2 / S3's.
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

8240 & 8250's are the most impressive new monitors in years...the DSP integration raises this monitor above everything i've heard.

I would like to see this improvement spread across the line to include the larger 15" & 12" monitors
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

A7 mixes translate extremely well. These monitors are very accurate. The low end isn't very powerful however, it is still very accurate.
Old 9th January 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eumsm View Post
The A7 are great sounding speaker, but for this very reason they're not suited for mixing, you can't trust them. I think the genelecs are far better monitors as they 'give it to you raw'. They're very acurate.

I have a much different opinion.

I feel like I can tell if a mix sucks right away on the A7s. I feel extremely confident in their accuracy. I did not feel the same way about the Dynaudio BM5A however, I definitely felt that was a speaker I could not trust.
Old 12th January 2008
Gear Maniac

Go with the GEnelec 8240's I have had my pair for about 10 months now and adore them. You can see far deeper into the music with the pair I have.

I auditioned Dynaudio, JBL, Tannoy, Event, I didnt' care for the ribbon tweeter style as much as others.

I listen to Genelecs all the way across their line. I am visiting with my folks for the evening and my father and mother are considering using the 8020's as surround speakers in their living room. My father who is fairly tech ignorant and has heard most of the speakers I have brought thru in the course of auditions, even when walking through their living room went "Wow! Those sound good!"

The phantom imaging of Genelec speakers is very good and with the DSP makes a change that would be even more amazing if you room is already treated!
Old 12th January 2008
Jai guru deva om

The DSP capability of the Genelec 8200 series is simply incredible. They are neutral sounding speakers. Having said that the A7 have a lot of depth to them and a unique way of letting you hear how things stack forward in a mix. In other words, if your vocal is a touch behind the snare drum it's easy to dial it in (or correct it). They have a unique sound to them, a depth without brightness.

So there are reasons to be looking at either. In a good room and understanding the environment, either can work out fine. Monitors are the most personal choice you can make in the studio, ever.

War
Old 16th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eumsm View Post

This couldn't be further from the truth. ADAM A7s are not nice to listen to. They quickly accent problem mixes. If you want a "nice" sound, you should be looking into Dynaudio BM5a or BM6a.
Old 26th April 2018
Here for the gear

Hi.

I have an opportunity to get one of the following pairs: 8040B or 8050B or 8240A (old model) or 8430APM as an Exchange with a Dealer.
I have a small Room 10'x11' (with irregular small entrance hall with 3'x4').
I would like to have more Bass to try some Synths (I´m a Keyboard player), and for small music productions with Live 10 and ProTools.
In fact, I don´t know if SAM will help me so much (8240A Old Version with SAM vs New Version of 8040B without SAM), or I get the 8050B for more bass (without SAM). Or 8430APM (ideal for the size of my desk with SAM).
Really crazy with this options, since I need to be focused on these models that the Dealer has in stock.
Please, I appreciate your comments. I need to decide for these weeks.

Alex

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search