The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
500 series pres
Old 2nd January 2008
Here for the gear

500 series pres

i was looking at getting some 500 series pres i was wondering if anyone knows what ones are good for specific jobs like for guitar, drums(kick, snare toms, overheads) and bass?
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

try the search engine. there are a ton of threads on this site that cover this subject pretty extensively
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Any of the really good ones will be good for anything you want to record with them, but use the search function and you will find tons of debate and personal preferences about this issue.
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Economically and ergonomically thumbsup
Can't go wrong with the APIs. Reallgood on drums and electric guitars. Gamas are very very nice on everything I've tried so far i.e. guitars, vocals, bass. Starting to like the Biz. Use them on vocals. Just picked up the Avedis MA5s.
There's such a growing number of pres for this format. Would love to try the Buzz, A- Designs, Great River, LaChapelle.
Attached Thumbnails
500 series pres-rack.jpg  
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamz View Post
Economically and ergonomically thumbsup
Can't go wrong with the APIs. Reallgood on drums and electric guitars. Gamas are very very nice on everything I've tried so far i.e. guitars, vocals, bass. Starting to like the Biz. Use them on vocals. Just picked up the Avedis MA5s.
There's such a growing number of pres for this format. Would love to try the Buzz, A- Designs, Great River, LaChapelle.
Hey Jamz.How does the MA-5 sound? BTW... Nice looking lunch...
Old 2nd January 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedankben View Post
i was looking at getting some 500 series pres i was wondering if anyone knows what ones are good for specific jobs like for guitar, drums(kick, snare toms, overheads) and bass?
this is the best time ever, to get into the 500 format!
as mentioned, their are some very, very, very, nice pre's in this format, any they sound great and just work, and don't forget the comp's and EQ's.
i think it is really up to the user as to what you may want.
lets go from dark, heaylyed colored, not so colored, something in the middle or just move to more Hi-Fi.
and, their is more stuff coming!
soon, very soon!!!!!!
Old 2nd January 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snatchman View Post
Hey Jamz.How does the MA-5 sound? BTW... Nice looking lunch...
do tell!!!!!
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Haven't had the gear wired into the new room yet. Working on it as I type. The MA5s arrived same time as the Argosy Mirage and Rack N Roll.
I'm hoping to have the room in good enough shape to start making some noize on the 13th. I too am looking forward to using them
Attached Thumbnails
500 series pres-arg-8.jpg   500 series pres-rack-2.jpg   500 series pres-rack-3.jpg  
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Great looking room! Looks like it will turn out to be a very nice setup.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
this is the best time ever, to get into the 500 format!
as mentioned, their are some very, very, very, nice pre's in this format, any they sound great and just work, and don't forget the comp's and EQ's.
i think it is really up to the user as to what you may want.
lets go from dark, heaylyed colored, not so colored, something in the middle or just move to more Hi-Fi.
and, their is more stuff coming!
soon, very soon!!!!!!
Absolutely agree! Also looking forward to products such as the Mark VIII http://www.petesplaceaudio.com/MARK_VIII.html

There are so many pieces coming out in this format the best thing is to jump in and try them out. You can't go wrong with API. They've been around the longest in this format and their tried and tested large format consoles were and are comprised of the same modules available in 500 format. For me APIs are a must.
SH Gama are beautiful. Broad, warm, clean not as mid forward as the 512s. The Biz I'm still working with. Just received the Avedis. As soon as the new rack is wired up the MA5s will be the first modules listened to

I've owned a few consoles and have worked on as many large format consoles as the number of studios I've worked in during my career. For me the ability to not have to commit a six figure lease that buys me 56, 64 or 72 channels of the same mic pre is liberating. Nothing wrong with those consoles. I mean 20 years ago we never even discussed different mic pres. It was the Neve room or the SSL room etc. As musicians we always were more concerned with who the engineer was on the session. BTW I believe that is still more important. However, time marches on and I personally prefer where technology is heading i.e. 500 series, Tonelux, Channel Strips, smaller integrated consoles/control surfaces. Purchase what you need or want when you want.

I'm sure a third 10 space rack is in the cards for 2008.
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlotus View Post
Great looking room! Looks like it will turn out to be a very nice setup.
Thanks. It's getting there...slowly...but getting there.
Old 3rd January 2008
500 series nutjob

thanks Jamz
i am really looking forward to getting my hands on a finished MARK VIII but it will be some time yet :(~
i am looking forward to getting one the Avedis's MA5's in soon i hope!
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
thanks Jamz
i am really looking forward to getting my hands on a finished MARK VIII but it will be some time yet :(~
i am looking forward to getting one the Avedis's MA5's in soon i hope!
Do the knobs and buttons at the base of the unit represent on/off and volume (as in fader)?

BTW I'm looking forward to the LacHapelle 583e
Attached Thumbnails
500 series pres-581hg8n0046.jpg  
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

I thought that was just a mockup from AES... they were loaned some units by another vendor... perhaps those are dummies on the bottom of that SWEET looking lunchbox on steroids.
Old 4th January 2008
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haven't had the gear wired into the new room yet. Working on it as I type. The MA5s arrived same time as the Argosy Mirage and Rack N Roll.
I'm hoping to have the room in good enough shape to start making some noize on the 13th. I too am looking forward to using them
Slutty !

OT, how do you like the Mirage ? How is the stability / quality? I've owned a 90 series Argosy, which you could land a plane on... Seriously thinking of the Mirage for the new studios.
Old 4th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post
Slutty !

OT, how do you like the Mirage ? How is the stability / quality? I've owned a 90 series Argosy, which you could land a plane on... Seriously thinking of the Mirage for the new studios.
Not inexpensive. We just assembled it and haven't installed the D Command yet. So far...looks great, seemed to go together easily, lots of metal, very well built and well designed. The openings on the bottom of the large metal legs aren't large enough to run all of the cables through...I don't think. We'll see when the patch bays/wiring arrive. I have (2) 23" Cinema displays mounted on swing arms. No problem at all with stability. Tomorrow we plan on installing the D Command.
I'll take a shot or two I'm sure.
Thanks to thedankben for the OT response.
Attached Thumbnails
500 series pres-arg-1.jpg   500 series pres-arg-2.jpg   500 series pres-arg-5.jpg   500 series pres-arg-6.jpg  
Old 4th January 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Do the knobs and buttons at the base of the unit represent on/off and volume (as in fader)?

BTW I'm looking forward to the LacHapelle 583e
the bottom panel was just a mockup for the photo.
heh
it will be much more: )~
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Slutty !

A few shots with the (2) 23" Cinema displays perched on the Mirage with the D Command seated. No problem with stability. The young lady standing next to my wife has her butt on the arm rest. Not exactly sitting on it but certainly leaning. Not a hint of instability so far. The board is blessed
Much of the board arrives pre assembled. Well worth it for me...and the swing arms...float. Very cool. Now Sound Anchor will make custom stands to accommodate the Adam S3As at thr proper height to get over the 2 displays.
Attached Thumbnails
500 series pres-2.jpg   500 series pres-3.jpg   500 series pres-4.jpg   500 series pres-1.jpg  
Old 7th January 2008
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
A few shots with the (2) 23" Cinema displays perched on the Mirage with the D Command seated. No problem with stability. The young lady standing next to my wife has her butt on the arm rest. Not exactly sitting on it but certainly leaning. Not a hint of instability so far. The board is blessed
Much of the board arrives pre assembled. Well worth it for me...and the swing arms...float. Very cool. Now Sound Anchor will make custom stands to accommodate the Adam S3As at thr proper height to get over the 2 displays.
Cool - did you get the swing arms from argosy?
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Cool - did you get the swing arms from argosy?
I believe so. The order was placed at the Harrisburg GC where the amazing Dan Newell is manager. He took care of it. The arms are advertised on the Argosy sight. I believe they're called iLift. For what it's worth they were delivered separately from the other Argosy stuff.
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

Jamz,
What's the dimension's of the room?
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosebleedaudio View Post
Jamz,
What's the dimension's of the room?
The CR is 18'x15'x10'.6"
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

Awesome!!!!
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

I would suggest some BAE 312As. I prefer them to the API 512Cs. Great for drums, bass , gits, vocs.
Old 8th January 2008
500 series nutjob

Quote:
nice!!!!!!!!
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
I would suggest some BAE 312As. I prefer them to the API 512Cs. Great for drums, bass , gits, vocs.
Why do you prefer the BAE 312As to the API 512Cs?
Can you put it in words? I'm asking because I am about to buy and I am already familiar with the 512Cs
Old 8th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Incredible! Glad to see another 8 fader user out there. When mixing ITB I've never understood the desire for a fader per track. Congraulations looks like a very nice place to make a record!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search