The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinion about AKG 460B with CK61 Capsule?? Condenser Microphones
Old 6th June 2004
Gear Maniac

Opinion about AKG 460B with CK61 Capsule??

I got a pair of vintage small diaphragm condensors, the AKGs 451EBs...I did a couple of try outs only, nothing serious so far.
I have the chance to get another pair too, AKG 460B w/ CK61s capsules...
Anybody has any experince with these mics??? Do they sound the same??
Let me know your thoughts and advices!

Obrigado,

Claudio Mattioli
Old 6th June 2004
Gear Maniac

Has anyone tried these mic's with a large diaphragm capsule from Blue (vintagemicrophone.com) ?? Sorry, I have no experience with 460's.
Old 6th June 2004
Gear Addict

I've had a AKG C460B w/ CK61-ULS for about 10 years. While it does not get every day use, I wouldn't consider selling it either. I would like another.

If the price is attractive, I'd recommend you buy the pair. If possible try them out.

If you don't like them, send me a PM and I'll consider buying them.
Old 6th June 2004
Gear Maniac

I have had a pair of 460's for about 15 years. They continue to get used for all sorts of things. I also have the omni caps for them. I wouldn't sell them either...
Old 6th June 2004
Both the CK-1 and CK-61 are the same capsule. The thickness of the metal tube is the only difference as the capsules are the same.

The 460 without the transformer has better low end than a 451. A stock 480 sounds better than a 460 body. A modified 460 body sounds better than a 480.

I have tried the Blue capsule on the modified 460 body. It works well since the Blue capsule was designed to run on a 40 volt bias charge. The very high 10 gig ohm imput impedance of the 460 won't allow the 1" CK-4 capsule to charge, but the Blue works well at reduced polarization.

Sonically, it has a familiar "Neumann" gravel in the mids with a rolled off 20k response. Intresting sound, but I couldn't justify the excessive color making the combo quite limited in scope.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 7th June 2004
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the inormation everyone...
I passed the AKG 460 deal, I'm sticking with the 451 for now until I have the chance to buy a pair of 480s.
I'm looking to have a second pair of SDC with diferent timbre or sound than the AKGs...
Any suggestions???
I have a few in mind SM81, KM184, AT4051a but have no experience with them...

Thanks
MattioliCo
Old 7th June 2004
Lives for gear

I have a pair of all these-460's 480's Km184's and the sm81's.
Not that I would throw them away ( yet ) but the sm81's are just ass. Grainy and harsh in the mids. The 84's are duller in my opinion than my 60's or 80's. My choice for all around is the 80's but depends on the instument I'm micing.

Chris
Old 8th June 2004
Lives for gear

I don't know about the 460 vs 480 body, but I do like the CK61 and CK62 capsules. I use them with an Altec M30-like tube body. That's a 'lipstick' mic designed for 60 volt polarization. The C61 capsule is similar to the CK1 but it seems flatter in the top end, where the CK1 appears to have a more pronounced top-end boost.

My CK61/CK62 mic gets used on most acoustic guitars I record. I use the omni when the guitar is boomy and/or if I need to get close to reduce some vocal leakage; the cardioid works well and actually doesn't have as much proximity effect as other mics I've used for this purpose, though it is there.
Old 1st October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Both the CK-1 and CK-61 are the same capsule. The thickness of the metal tube is the only difference as the capsules are the same.

The 460 without the transformer has better low end than a 451. A stock 480 sounds better than a 460 body. A modified 460 body sounds better than a 480.

I have tried the Blue capsule on the modified 460 body. It works well since the Blue capsule was designed to run on a 40 volt bias charge. The very high 10 gig ohm imput impedance of the 460 won't allow the 1" CK-4 capsule to charge, but the Blue works well at reduced polarization.

Sonically, it has a familiar "Neumann" gravel in the mids with a rolled off 20k response. Intresting sound, but I couldn't justify the excessive color making the combo quite limited in scope.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Hi Jim, I'm reviving a very old thread!

I just wondered what your 460 mod involves?

Cheers,
Jamie
Old 1st October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattioliCo View Post
I got a pair of vintage small diaphragm condensors, the AKGs 451EBs...I did a couple of try outs only, nothing serious so far.
I have the chance to get another pair too, AKG 460B w/ CK61s capsules...
Anybody has any experince with these mics??? Do they sound the same??
Let me know your thoughts and advices!

Obrigado,

Claudio Mattioli
No, they don't sound the same. The 451 has a harsher sound to it IMO. AT4051s sound jangly to me. Do the key test, or play some acoustic guitar through them and you will see what I am talking about.
Old 1st October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieOxford View Post
Hi Jim, I'm reviving a very old thread!

I just wondered what your 460 mod involves?

Cheers,
Jamie
It used to involve replacing the audio path opamp and transistors. The front end was rebuilt using 1k volt Wima FKP-2 caps. The output transformer was removed with quality caps used instead. The filter caps were changed to NOS WIMA polycarbonate (out of production now). It's very tight inside those bodies.

This is an old thread as I stopped doing those mods several years ago. I still have 5 of them and use them all the time, my overall favorite 1/2" mics.
Old 12th November 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
It used to involve replacing the audio path opamp and transistors. The front end was rebuilt using 1k volt Wima FKP-2 caps. The output transformer was removed with quality caps used instead. The filter caps were changed to NOS WIMA polycarbonate (out of production now). It's very tight inside those bodies.

This is an old thread as I stopped doing those mods several years ago. I still have 5 of them and use them all the time, my overall favorite 1/2" mics.
Hi Jim,

I have a pair of your rebuilt C460b mics and love them! I have four other 460b mics that I wish were modified. Is there any chance at some point that you'd be willing to share some more specific details regarding the work you did, since you haven't worked on them for several years now?

Thanks.
Old 4th March 2016
Here for the gear

Does a vintage C460 w/ CK61 in good shape sound better than a new one? I mean is the vintage hardware better sounding?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search