The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chandler Mini Mixer or Neve 8816 for summing? Summing Mixers
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

Chandler Mini Mixer or Neve 8816 for summing?

About to take plunge into summing once again. Did a few searches and found some good stuff. But wondering from those who have used one or both of these units for a bit now.

I know neve has inserts, etc but I'm pretty much interested in analog sound/tone/depth/width only.

Will put my smart C2 or api 2500 on mixbuss insert. Nothing else
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

I've used both and, believe it or not, it's NEVE all the way.
8816 lets you dial in your sound, Chandler just IS a sound.

The width control on the 8816 is major and the transformer sound on the NEVE is real.
Old 18th December 2007
Lives for gear

I'm going to make things a little harder for you, even though I haven't heard the Neve or the Chandler ... the only reason I *haven't* heard them is because I stopped looking once I heard the Nicerizer 16. Look into one. You'll cry. In a good way.
Old 18th December 2007
is the A/D (and DSD) option on the AMS-Neve unit a real option... and if so, do you have any experience with it? I can understand where more often than not people probably use their own converters, but there might be some situations where some people might like such a solution...
Old 19th December 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Murray View Post
I'm going to make things a little harder for you, even though I haven't heard the Neve or the Chandler ... the only reason I *haven't* heard them is because I stopped looking once I heard the Nicerizer 16. Look into one. You'll cry. In a good way.

Did the same here.
Love at first listen
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

im gonna just grab both chandler and the neve and see what it is for a few days.
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plush View Post
The width control on the 8816 is major and the transformer sound on the NEVE is real.
thought the 8816 was transformerless. learned something new today. thanks Plush!
Old 19th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by computa View Post
im gonna just grab both chandler and the neve and see what it is for a few days..
Since you're in Hollywood, why don't you pay Geoff Tanner a visit and check out the GTM mixer.

Old 19th December 2007
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
im gonna just grab both chandler and the neve and see what it is for a few days.
Good idea.

8816:
- Some color (reminiscent of the Neve VR series, as thethrillfactor has said elsewhere)
- Analog panning
- Can add faders and direct outs with the 8804 option
- Can link multiple 8816's
- Width control
- Transformers on mix, not on individual channels.

Chandler Mini Mixer:
- Lots of color
- Analog panning
- No desktop fader/direct out option
- Can link multiple Mini Mixers
- No width control
- Transformers on individual channels.

Be sure you like the heavy color of the Chandler before you buy it, because you'll have it all the time, due to the heavy individual channel transformers. Even when you adjust between individual channel levels and mix levels, you always get plenty of color.

It was too colored for me............actually muddy to my ears.
But this is a matter of personal preference..............some guys love that heavy color.

They are clearly different sounding units, and you will quickly prefer one over the other.
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Since you're in Hollywood, why don't you pay Geoff Tanner a visit and check out the GTM mixer.

When my new studio is finished this is the one box thats fits all my needs
just need to demo it in the uk
Old 19th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree, and know of one for sale. PM me or check the classifieds.

-R
Old 20th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike H View Post
Chandler Mini Mixer:
- Lots of color...Be sure you like the heavy color of the Chandler before you buy it, because you'll have it all the time...
It's more neutral at lower output levels, and more colored when you push it. Set the master output at 6.5 for unity gain. Very nice...
Old 23rd December 2007
Lives for gear

so far the neve seems to be in the lead. the chandler rounds off attack on drums a little too much.

my 2nd attempt at analog summing. still not sure if its worth it for styles I produce (rap/r&b). will send one or both back soon.
Old 24th December 2007
Lives for gear

I have used both and freaking LOVED the Chandler. The Neve didn't really do that much for me beyond what I can get in the box. The Chandler has some majorly cool mojo. I do mostly rock... and the width and fullness of the Chandler gave me something that only running through an old Neve console had ever gotten me before (though not exactly the same of course).

I might even ditch my console next year and go back to ITB with 3 of the Chandler mini mixers for summing (yes, I have 48 channels of Aurora converters). And really, to me... the more channels you go out to... the wider, and more "real" the mix starts to sound.

To me the Neve just didn't rock the boat. Also... I don't get the fader pack. I mean... what would you use it for? You can't automate those faders... so for a summing mixer... I just want a detent at 0... you know? I will automate in the box.

JMTC...

p.s. 2 years ago I tried just about every summing box out there... and preferred the Chandler... but couldn't quite afford it. I stick with my folcroms which combined with Chandler Germanium pre's for makeup is STILL my 2nd favorite. The Tanner thing looks cool though. How come I can't find any place online that has his full product line???
Old 24th December 2007
I checked into the GTM mixer and the response I got back was. They are once again putting the unit on hold for some upgrades. I love the idea of the mixer, but the company seems a bit flaky.

I tried the Chandler last week. The Chandler was very cool. Well made, very wide and colorful. After much thought, I decided to go with a Tonelux system. Less colored, lots of setup options, very well made. If I had the bucks, I would also buy a Chandler and use it as a sidecar for Live Drums and Bass.
Old 24th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
I have used both and freaking LOVED the Chandler. The Neve didn't really do that much for me beyond what I can get in the box. The Chandler has some majorly cool mojo. I do mostly rock... and the width and fullness of the Chandler gave me something that only running through an old Neve console had ever gotten me before (though not exactly the same of course).
i like the chandler. still have a a few more days to mess with it. I like the color. I think if u gonna come out the box then color is what it is. But the attack of the drums "got layed" back a little when i pushed it for the color. Not sure if I'm explaining it right. 2moro im gonna build a ground up mix thru it & the neve and see what's what.
Old 24th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
i like the chandler. still have a a few more days to mess with it. I like the color. I think if u gonna come out the box then color is what it is. But the attack of the drums "got layed" back a little when i pushed it for the color. Not sure if I'm explaining it right. 2moro im gonna build a ground up mix thru it & the neve and see what's what.
Well, that makes some sense. Some of the "color" comes from saturating the transformers in that box. That is a distortion and some compression. The compression is what takes some of the attack off the drums. Don't push it so hard and you will get all the attack of the drums back and lose very little of the color. The box has some SERIOUS mojo just running through it without pushing it.

I find that on just about ANY old analog mixer that pushing too hard can soften the drums. The only possible exemption might be old API consoles.

Anyway... hope that helps. I sitll vote for the chandler. It does the best job at getting rid of the "sterile" sound that is so hard to avoid with ITB mixes.

JMTC...
Old 24th December 2007
Lives for gear

The SPL Mixdeam is great. You're looking at around $3k.
Old 24th December 2007

Quote:
The Tanner thing looks cool though. How come I can't find any place online that has his full product line???

High Profile Audio | Aurora Audio | 401-316-6423
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, that makes some sense. Some of the "color" comes from saturating the transformers in that box. That is a distortion and some compression. The compression is what takes some of the attack off the drums. Don't push it so hard and you will get all the attack of the drums back and lose very little of the color. The box has some SERIOUS mojo just running through it without pushing it.

I find that on just about ANY old analog mixer that pushing too hard can soften the drums. The only possible exemption might be old API consoles.

Anyway... hope that helps. I sitll vote for the chandler. It does the best job at getting rid of the "sterile" sound that is so hard to avoid with ITB mixes.

JMTC...
if i can find that sweet spot it may be the keeper. I want the color but need the attack
Old 25th December 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
.............still have a a few more days to mess with it.
Play with both units for as long as you can keep 'em.
Mix some different songs, A/B the mixes side-by-side.
Then make up your own mind.

You'll get tons of biased input.
You are the one who has to live with the decision.

This is from someone who has sold LOTS of gear after being advised that it would work great for me.

In the end, you should make the choice based on what you hear in your studio.
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
that's exactly what i was going to suggest.
i really like my nicerizer 16.
with a summing bus it.s not like you buy a great pre or comp that will probably suit some application.
Old 26th December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
What is the average price for such a unit?
Old 26th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
I checked into the GTM mixer and the response I got back was. They are once again putting the unit on hold for some upgrades. I love the idea of the mixer, but the company seems a bit flaky.

I tried the Chandler last week. The Chandler was very cool. Well made, very wide and colorful. After much thought, I decided to go with a Tonelux system. Less colored, lots of setup options, very well made. If I had the bucks, I would also buy a Chandler and use it as a sidecar for Live Drums and Bass.
Hi

It's a shame you jumped to that conclusion... we are production engineering the GTM so that we can shorten assembly time and provide faster deliveries. I'm redesigning several of the circuit boards to make them more "plug in-able" like the channels. Nothing flakey about it and we've just spent over $7,000 on assembly tooling.

It's a very labour intensive beastie to build... there are over 50 printed circuit boards in that box!

Old 27th December 2007
I meant "flaky" in the sense of "could be a long wait time" for the mixer to be ready. I am 100% in favor of any company trying to elevate their product! In fact I was one of those engineers ready to jump on board with your mixer. But, I really can't afford to wait any longer. I waited 2 years to filter through the blizzard of mixers, summing...etc. I'm sure your mixer will be amazing when it hits the street.
Old 28th April 2008
Gear Addict

hmm..
i still am not convinced either way on this..?
is there any more sound samples?
I remember finding one comparison of the 8818 and the chandler
but it wasnt very convincing as far as any difference from the original file
let alone making any kind of comparison
Old 28th April 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckerluke View Post
i still am not convinced either way on this..?
is there any more sound samples?
Call Mike Nehra at Vintage King and get some demo's, then decide for yourself in your own studio.

Mike Nehra - Sales Director/Business Development

The shipping cost is a small matter, to insure you get it right.

This is the ONLY approach that will give you the right answer, for you.

I have owned at least two of both units, sold all of one unit and kept 3 of the other.

They are very different in color.
So different that it will be obvious to you which is the best for your taste.
But you sure won't figure that out for your specific situation from the many posts here...............I can say that based on personal experience.

And.........A/B'ing gear is good fun.
Old 16th August 2008
Lives for gear

still summer-less
Old 17th August 2008
Lives for gear

you should seriously check out a Phoenix Audio Nicerizer 16.
sonically, its the real deal for sure.

id also be interested in that GTQ mixer though.
i spoke with mr tanner on the phone a while ago about it and based on what he told me ill bet that unit sounds great as well....................

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search