The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Zerotronics MINI-LE... anyone else getting one?
Old 6th December 2007
Gear Addict

Zerotronics MINI-LE... anyone else getting one?

I am stoked! My Zerotronics MINI-LE spring reverb shipped today and I can't wait to get it! It is an extremely limited edition unit (only 10 made, already sold out) built using NOS springs. Yeah, when I read that first too I was like "new old stock springs???" But the springs are totally unique. They are tapered instead of straight, resulting in an inverse frequency response. The sound samples on zerotronics website sound really cool:

MINI-LE Sounds

Anyone else getting one?

(apologies in advance for posting a slutty link to a sold-out product)
Old 31st January 2008
Lives for gear

Serial Number 1!

I don't know how I missed this thread, so apologies for the late response.

I love this thing. I've been running some old vocal tracks through it, hitting it really lightly, and just love what it's putting out. So far, I've only used my Hardy M-1s for make-up gain, but anticipate trying my UA 2-610 and Eisen N-ish pres with it too.

I dig that it's a tabletop unit. And the green case is super cool too! Ralph did a bang up job with this one. Hopefully, he'll do more limited edition units in the future, as he runs across odd ball/nos springs.

Stu
Old 2nd February 2008
Gear Addict

I got #10 of 10!

I really love my unit. It sounds so distinctive. I've been running vocals, guitar, bass, even some drums through it. I'm using my LaChapell 992EG for makeup gain and it sounds SMOOTH! Plus those springs have some SERIOUS low end. If you give the unit a whack, it just booms! (I think its because the lower the frequency, the longer it resonates).

I like it so much I am seriously considering ordering a short, medium, and long Zerotronics reverb just to have on tap. Absolutely fabulous!

PS: It is cool to get in touch with "one of the ten" other owners
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

Right on! Yeah, talk about limited edition. I wonder who has the other eight?

I just emailed Ralph yesterday to follow up with him on the manual he was putting together, not that it's really necessary.

Are you using a pre-delay before it? I was using the Eventide Factory TDM plug with good results, but it's almost overkill. Once I get my Reamps, I'll try the Boss RE-20 in that role. Any other suggestions?

Stu
Old 2nd February 2008
Lives for gear

FU*K FU*K FU*K I can't believe only 10 made! grumble grumble
Old 3rd February 2008
Gear Addict

I've been using the Pro Tools Long Delay TDM plug before it and it works just fine. I'm getting good results with delays from 100-200ms. Also, I've been hitting it lightly, trimming the output to it by -10db to -15db... it seems to like a light input with lots of makeup gain. I've also been doing EQ on the return, HPF to get rid of the deep sub-bass (of which there is a lot), cut a little bit of the mids, and a high shelf to boost the highs (of which there are not so much).

I think it would sound great with pretty much any outboard delay, but alas I don't have any yet.
I totally want to try more Zerotronics reverbs!
Old 12th May 2008
Gear Addict

I just stumbled upon this thread

I got #9 of 10..... and i love it!

I think it is a very cool sound.

heh

John
Old 26th May 2008
Gear Addict

Yeah, they sound so good! I really love the way mine sounds on electric guitar. The day I got it was the day I realized I will never be able to live with reverb plugins again. Since then I have purchased the whole CoolSprings lineup (short, medium, and long). Those things are awesome!

I want to put in a good word for Ralph's customer support. When my 3-pack arrived, the Medium unit wasn't working quite right. I contacted him, and he was totally professional about it. After we did some troubleshooting he immediately sent out a new replacement unit and a shipping tag to return the old one. The new one works great. Two thumbs up for Zerotronics! thumbsup thumbsup

FWIW, Ralph is working on a special new reverb, something involving "beautiful girls". If it peaks your interest you might want to get in touch with him to be on the early list to try one out.
Old 29th November 2008
Gear Nut

I contacted Ralph for one of these after reading the rave reviews in TapeOP mag.

Sadly I missed out. However, after a few months I received an email from Ralph letting me know he had acquired another VERY small batch of the NOS springs and was doing another run... did I want one?...

...er, let me think... YES!!

Anywho, shortly after placing my order I had some trouble with a client (non payer) and I lost a fair sum of money. I emailed Ralph and explained my situation and apologized for no longer being able to go through with the purchase.

Ralph explained that I was two days late and he had already shipped my reverb (before receiving payment!) and not to worry. Keep the reverb, give it a test and if I like it keep it and pay when I'm straight again.

I wasn't able to make payment for a whole month AFTER receiving the reverb (from the states to the UK I hasten to add!).

I only got to plug the unit up a few weeks ago as the studio is currently packed down as we rebuild the studio. I tell you... hats off to the guy above who said "I can not go back to plug-ins after this"... your bang on.

I cannot believe that this is a mechanical reverb. On guitars it just sounds plain amazing. Great on vocals (especially female) and also great for grungy drums with huge ambiance.

I love it and recommend everyone keep an eye on Ralph's excellent products.

Ralph, if your reading this the fair play to you. The world would be a better place if all men had your trust and dedication and I thank you once again for your understanding in what was a bad time for me.

You can guarantee that this reverb will feature on a good 90% of all my productions from now on as it just sounds so god damn sweet on everything.

Great bespoke products at great prices. Nice on Ralph.

Marc

Voltalab studios UK

Last edited by blivetaudio; 6th February 2009 at 12:40 AM.. Reason: Spoolin errols
Old 7th September 2009
Gear Addict

I was using my "mini-le' the past 8 days - as one of the (many) reverbs for my mix of the score for "Assassins Creed 2" ....... awesome score by Jesper Kyd.

I was reminded how awesome this reverb sounds..... especially on certain guitar sounds.

and Ralph is a totally stand up guy.

I think he MIGHT have a few more for sale... maybe.... not sure.

anyway - i love mine! I use a CraneSong Flamingo for makeup gain.... sweet!!!!
Old 25th January 2010
Hi, I just purchased one on the GS classified. Output seems very low... If I put a signal to it which is slightly clipping when hitting the converters (+4dBu), the output running back to my converters, after 48dB of makeup gain from an RNP - is peaking -40dB on the AD converts going back in. Is this the kind of level the rest of you are experiencing - I'm guessing something's wrong with the unit.

ps - I've already tested the cables, tried different pre-amps, etc etc
Old 26th January 2010
i've had number 22 for acouplke of years, and i love it!

i like hitting it lightly and applying a lot of make up gain. if you hit it hard it "sproings out", but if you hit it lightly you get a lovely deep and shimmering reverb.

to get the level i usually like for reverb (which is quite low), i have to apply about 50dB or more of make up gain.
Old 26th January 2010
That makes sense. How high is the gain you send to the MiniLe? I'm going straight from Motu 2408 DAs to the LE, so am trying to get a relative idea of ideal gain in terms of the Motu's meter output meter. 50dB of boost doesn't seem to be enough for me - even when I'm sending the unit a very hot signal.
Old 1st February 2010
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdemenil View Post
That makes sense. How high is the gain you send to the MiniLe? I'm going straight from Motu 2408 DAs to the LE, so am trying to get a relative idea of ideal gain in terms of the Motu's meter output meter. 50dB of boost doesn't seem to be enough for me - even when I'm sending the unit a very hot signal.
I use about 72 db of make-up gain on my preamp after it..... if that helps
Old 1st February 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRodd View Post
I use about 72 db of make-up gain on my preamp after it..... if that helps
Thanks for the reply. 72 db is a lot of makeup and is consistent with what I'm experiencing. I don't have a pre with that much clean gain - how do you get it out of the Flamingo when specs say it has a max 66db of gain?

I'm using a Forsell SMP 2. It has 68db of gain, but if I push it past 60db there's too much hiss - I don't know if from the MiniLE or the preamp. I'm using it at +60db now - there's a little bit of hiss still, but the level is low enough that I can live with it.

AEA ribbon pres supposedly have 80db gain - maybe one of those would be a better solution...
Old 1st February 2010
Gear Addict

oops.... my bad

i'm using my Flamingo wide open.

Old 7th May 2011
Gear Addict

I'm still loving this box...

and Ralph is a GREAT guy all around.

highly recommended company. great gear.

:-)
Old 7th May 2011
Lives for gear

I've got another one of them I need to check the serial number. It's an amazing reverb. It sounds more like my plate than It does like any spring I've ever heard.
Old 7th May 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcocet View Post
I've got another one of them I need to check the serial number. It's an amazing reverb. It sounds more like my plate than It does like any spring I've ever heard.
I agree on the sounding like a plate comment. I have a mono one going through a tonelux mic preamp with the tilt eq boosting a little bass, cutting a little high. sounds more like a lovely plate than a spring.

I am thinking of buying the stereo OC4. does anyone here have any experience with that one?
Old 3rd August 2011
Lives for gear
zerotronics

My mini SE arrived today and it is ridiculously good. Tried it out on a male singer and holy crap. I didn't push it too hard but turned up pre hard (a suggestion on manual) and it sounds nothing remotely like a spring reverb. They say when u push it, it sounds more spring like. (I haven't tried yet.)

The sound I got was like a dense expensive sounding dark plate from another ghostly world. Very unique and dirty character drenched. Can't wait to try it on different things. The decay time sounds little longer than I expected but not a bad thing. This could be my secret weapon. So much better than IRs. It's sad to get excited about such things!!!!
Old 3rd August 2011
Gear Nut

Using mine right now!
I've been using my SDE's a lot as a predelay...really cool.

!jt!
Old 15th January 2012
Gear Addict

I bought a Mono-Mini - so now I can do an L-C-R passive 1960's tapered Baldwin organ spring reverb for film work - when working in 5.1

Certainly not the only reverb I'd use, of course.... but a cool and unique flavor.

Great on guitars, among other things. I used the Mini-LE on all of the 3 latest Assassins Creed scores I mixed for Jesper Kyd.

John
Old 15th February 2014
Gear Maniac

Hi people, I just stumbled across this thread. I've got MINI-LE 6 out of 10..
Got to love spring reverb!
Attached Thumbnails
Zerotronics MINI-LE... anyone else getting one?-zerotronics.jpg  
Old 8th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Had my Mini LE set up for a mixing session this week
Attached Thumbnails
Zerotronics MINI-LE... anyone else getting one?-zerotronics.jpg  
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Nut

Hi there,

I'm trying to work more on the Mini-Le as I was a bit lazy until now to plug it each time.
I don't have the manual and was wondering what was the best method for running it through my Mackie 802 VLZ3 ( I have another pair of pres but I can't sacrifice it to the verb.)
I have also a Yamaha E1005 that I can use as a pre-delay. It sounds great alone already, but I feel that I push it a bit too hard to have the amount of 'verb I like (which is usualy quite a lot). It's not ing much, but I get hiss on the pres.

Thanks !
Old 28th May 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Inspector View Post
Hi there,

I'm trying to work more on the Mini-Le as I was a bit lazy until now to plug it each time.
I don't have the manual and was wondering what was the best method for running it through my Mackie 802 VLZ3 ( I have another pair of pres but I can't sacrifice it to the verb.)
I have also a Yamaha E1005 that I can use as a pre-delay. It sounds great alone already, but I feel that I push it a bit too hard to have the amount of 'verb I like (which is usualy quite a lot). It's not ing much, but I get hiss on the pres.

Thanks !
70 odd db of make up gain is quite a lot. You probably need to invest in better pres to get the best out of this unit (and if you don't want to do that you can always sell it to me
Old 28th May 2016
Gear Nut

Haha, not gonna happen.

Well, the demos of the LE on the Zerotronics website were done with a Behringer mixer, so I guess you don't absolutely need fancy pres to get it working properly.
Old 29th May 2016
Try turning your sends up as high as you can, and turn down the return. The louder the signal going into the pres the better.
Old 29th May 2016
... push your sends to just below clipping on their output.

However i wouldnt recommend the zerotronics for a super wet verb. It begins to sound very springy.
Old 30th May 2016
Lives for gear

I use a triton FET Head (if that's its name) a cheap small amp running on phantom power giving another +20 or so additional gain before my mixer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search