The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What vocal EQ are you using? Equalisers (HW)
Old 27th November 2002
Gear Addict

I have worked in studio 'A' at the Power Station, now named Avatar, since it was built. There has never been an SSL in that room. Never. The Pultecs were Tony Bongiovi's idea. Period. There were 24 of them in each room.
BK
Old 27th November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Benjy King
I have worked in studio 'A' at the Power Station, now named Avatar, since it was built. There has never been an SSL in that room. Never. The Pultecs were Tony Bongiovi's idea. Period. There were 24 of them in each room.
BK

Hi BK,

I have an easy way to settle this one. I can just ask Tony or someone who worked there at the time. I do remember the Pultecs with an SSL in one of the rooms(this was in 1986-87) last time I did a session in the old Power Station. You may be correct about studio A.

I actually own one of their SSL's(6000 series) from that time period.
Old 27th November 2002
Gear Addict

Yesterday, before hitting 'submit reply', my finger was lingering over the mouse. I know I'm write about Tony & the Pultecs. But...I don't want to look like a complete ass. (HA) So...I called Bob Clearmountain at home. He answered the phone;
"Hey, Benj".
"Bob. Who's idea were the Pultecs?"
"Tony's" (Bob is a man of few words)
"Has there ever been an SSL in studio 'A'?"
"Never"

Now, if you read my post, I did say that all three rooms had 24 Pultecs in them. And, yes, two of them are SSL rooms. The initial comment appeared to be regarding studio 'A', which is not 48 tracks & SSL. That's all I was trying to clear up. Oh...and the Pultecs were wired to the machines, not the console.
[sigh] It was a beautiful thing.
Benjy
Old 27th November 2002
Lives for gear

So, it had a pultec console, right? (sorry, just throwing gas on the fire)
Old 28th November 2002
Lives for gear

I've known Benjy for years . . . . the first thought I had when reading his last post was Clearmountain. . . . . in reality said . . . "Benjy who? How did you get this number buddy?"

But no . . . Benjy was always schmoozing and doing sessions with some of these guys even back in the 80s.

It wasn't because he was any good . . . . it was because his hair was ALWAYS perfect and they thought "this guy MUST be good . . . he has rock star hair!" Walking down the streets in NYC in the blowing, pouring rain . . . . I, and the rest of us, would be drenched . . . . somehow his hair was perfect. What a slut!

He should start a "Hair Care Product Thread" here at gearslutz . . . . except something tells me in 2002 it would start off with "Where to get the best prices on Rogaine".

*smile @ benjy*
Old 29th November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Benjy King
Yesterday, before hitting 'submit reply', my finger was lingering over the mouse. I know I'm write about Tony & the Pultecs. But...I don't want to look like a complete ass. (HA) So...I called Bob Clearmountain at home. He answered the phone;
"Hey, Benj".
"Bob. Who's idea were the Pultecs?"
"Tony's" (Bob is a man of few words)
"Has there ever been an SSL in studio 'A'?"
"Never"

Now, if you read my post, I did say that all three rooms had 24 Pultecs in them. And, yes, two of them are SSL rooms. The initial comment appeared to be regarding studio 'A', which is not 48 tracks & SSL. That's all I was trying to clear up. Oh...and the Pultecs were wired to the machines, not the console.
[sigh] It was a beautiful thing.
Benjy

Hi BK,

I am going to have to bow to you on this one. I tried to get in touch with Toni on wed(to no avail). Maybe next week.

Everyone I did speak to who either recorded,engineered or assisted there told me that all the ideas at the Power Station were Toni's(the good and bad one's). Including the Pultecs.

Hopefully i will be able to reach him and ask about it( I am curious about it) and also about my SSL6000(any mods done on it).

P.S. The last thing i remember about the Pultecs is salivating about them(among every other vulture) who was there the day of the auction. We were all confident that we would walk away with at least one and then bang!!! The news comes in that some Japanese guy has not just bought them all, but the whole studio as well.

What a dissapointment!!!
Old 29th November 2002
Gear Addict

Hey,
Yeah....the auction was a *big* disappointment.
No debate intended here. None whatsoever. We always think of the 'Power Station' in terms of studio 'A', for some reason. That room has always had a Neve. Studios 'B' & 'C' both had SSL's and all three rooms had 24 Pultecs. Later a film mixing suite was added.
I met Bob C. and Bob Walters just before they left 'Media Sound' to build the 'Power Station' with Tony Bongiovi.
Sincerely,
Benjy
Old 30th November 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

And on the lighter side...

Just using an Aphex 109 (for now).
Crazy thing is that the "tubessence" gimmick actually sounds pretty good on my vocals. Probably will add something like a pair of ASC Speck's down the road, after learning how to use the 7 different vocals mikes better first, ala Fibe's comment.

Chris
Old 30th November 2002
Lives for gear

Media was a cool old studio.
Old 30th November 2002
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Wasn't it the Power Station that had Pultecs normalled to every channel of the 2" decks years ago? Hmmm...
rollz rollz rollz
They also had the early SSLs that had the first automation that worked but eq. that was universally hated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search