The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Neve Genysis
Old 2nd December 2007
Neve Genysis

Anyone heard it yet? Anyone know of any demo events coming up in the UK? Am hoping to close the deal on a new space very soon and this looks like a very interesting contender.
Old 2nd December 2007
Gear Addict

I've been in touch with David Walton at Neve in the UK and they should have the Genesys at NAMM. We're heading there as a first port O' call on day one. If it does as promised it may find it's way into my new mix room early next year.

<GM>
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

as far as I heard, these won't be anywhere at the beginning of next year...From what I know that automation and digital control is pretty far from being fully operational.
Old 2nd December 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
as far as I heard, these won't be anywhere at the beginning of next year...From what I know that automation and digital control is pretty far from being fully operational.
they said the same thing about the Death Star... but you're probably right, we won't be as lucky / unlucky as those from Alderon.
Old 2nd December 2007

so you have an inside track there numrologist or is it a rumour/conjecture thing?

Is there no-one from Neve around here or are they just keeping schtumm??
Old 2nd December 2007
Lives for gear

neither rumor nor conjecture.

I was pretty clearly told that the automation system is still being worked out... Not really close to being near operational.

I was also told the same thing for the digital control.
Old 3rd December 2007
bummer - oh well... thanks for the steer.
Old 14th February 2008
any word on these yet?
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear
Dom Coll from AMS told me they start shipping at the end of this month.
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

prices?

i'm starting to build my home studio in october and was contemlating this as an option.
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadden Heart View Post
prices?

i'm starting to build my home studio in october and was contemplating this as an option.
at AES i was told a little under $50K USD for 16 channels, a little under $80K USD for 32 channels. EQ and Dyn cassettes are separate.
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

i may have just ruled out the neve. thanks.
lol
i'm sorry but the toftATB is well worth it, also i really like the sony dmx-r100's.

for 50K i think i'll buy a used trident and get a real fu** desk. lol

thanks
thumbsup
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
for 50K i think i'll buy a used trident and get a real fu** desk. lol

thanks
thumbsup
DAW control + analog automation with total reset on all controls.

16 channels = 32 inputs + 4 stereo efx returns. 32 channels = 64 inputs + 4 stereo returns, not counting sends and inserts (which are assignable to either channel input).

sounds purty real to me.
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

don't get me wrong. i'm sure it's going to be beautiful.
i adore any neve stuff.

but for my first decent small home studio i can't afford an 80K console plus the room and preamps and such.

why did i pick such an expensive career
:p
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
don't get me wrong. i'm sure it's going to be beautiful.
i adore any neve stuff.

but for my first decent small home studio i can't afford an 80K console plus the room and preamps and such.

why did i pick such an expensive career
the 16 channel one has 40 + inputs. would you need more than that? the EQs are 1084s. not emulations, the real thing. transformers, chokes, etc. gotta love the hi/lo pass filters. pres you can order with or without trannys. you can build it up lego style to suit your needs.

FWIW i love some neve stuff but not all neve stuff, so i'm not jumping on board just yet, but when i play with one if it performs as advertised i may have to cave in. DAW control will be a big factor for me.
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

daw control could be cool. i've only worked on the AWS a little bit, but i think,..i'm a home studio, daw control won't be a huge factor, if the board and gear is always in my house,..i would be less worried about having thing automated and such in my machine.

curiosity,...why would daw control be such a huge factor to you?
maybe i haven't thougth of something.
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
curiosity,...why would daw control be such a huge factor to you? maybe i haven't thougth of something.
have gotten used to a digi d.control.

though ITB EQs are getting pretty amazing IMHO, we also have nice outboard gear. so we insert stuff (2 X aurora 16s) and go to an apogee 16X DA > folcrom for parallel comping. can't complain with that rig at all, but a real analog console with reset for interfacing with the outboard is just so tempting.

so bottom line i'm spoiled by d.control. anyway i'm rambling but i hope your question was answered.
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

this machine looks soooo nice. anyone know about the A/D conversion and TDM work flow if you were to have other outboard gear running through this?
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

understood.
i've used d controls/commands a bit, i like them,...but i like the 80b, 9000j's and 9098i's better. i think i just like "feeling cool" by using that stuff.
although i REALLY like how the venue series works, it could be nice to turn that into a recording desk.

i'm anxious to compare the neve version to the aws though.
Old 15th February 2008
Quote:
Dom Coll from AMS told me they start shipping at the end of this month
Cool!

Quote:
if the board and gear is always in my house,..i would be less worried about having thing automated and such in my machine
?!? You lost me right here!
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
the AWS sounds very good IMHO. impressive amounts of headroom, but only 24 possible channels (no dual inputs), and 4 total dynamics on the console. AWS has total recall, AMS has instant reset. with the AMS you can get EQ/dynamics p/channel (if you pay for them) which are ssignable to either of the dual inputs on each channel, so it's more flexible and can grow as needed, but the proof will be in the pudding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylansmale View Post
this machine looks soooo nice. anyone know about the A/D conversion and TDM work flow if you were to have other outboard gear running through this?
don't know what you mean by TDM workflow but if it's DAW control, that's what i'm referring to. never heard the A/Ds on the console or the console itself, but i would think they're nice. as to outboard gear running through it, it's a 100% analog desk, so that's where i think it would shine. you can buy onboard or outboard converters, whatever suits you.
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by raal View Post
the AWS sounds very good IMHO. impressive amounts of headroom, but only 24 possible channels (no dual inputs), and 4 total dynamics on the console.
I think SSL would be wise to offer the AWS in an expandable (buckets of 8) frame. It would be hard to beat if they did (and kept the price reasonable).
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I think SSL would be wise to offer the AWS in an expandable (buckets of 8) frame. It would be hard to beat if they did (and kept the price reasonable).
They "kind of" do if you link up multiple X-Racks with the serial port connectors. That way you can add line channels & mic pres with routing, EQs & SSL dynamics as needed all with Total Recall controlled from the AWS. That's my goal and dream set-up at the moment as I already have the X-Racks. Only another £30k to save
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

aws only allows 2 different onboard compressors. each assignable only to one.
the xlogic rack is nice though if configured to your needs.

decent price?
don't they run like 110,000?
not worth that much in my opinion,..given the single input and only dual single use compressors.
but they do have great headroom,..and the top/bottom fader (one being analog, the other being the DAW) is a cool thing, and using one as aux or monitoring,..cool.

the neve is cheaper (from what this forum says) and it seems to offer more versatility.
worth more than the aws is would seem.
guess i'll have to use it for a while
Old 15th February 2008
theother
Quote:

I'd be more interested how it compares to vintage Neves!

It will be far more advanced than the AWS from what I see, more like a Duality (which I find a bit too clean for my taste).
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

i'm sure it won't have such a noticeable vibe to it like some of the amek stuff or neve stuff.

i haven't worked on the duality. nor do i hear much about them anymore.
Old 15th February 2008
theother
Quote:
i'm sure it won't have such a noticeable vibe to it like some of the amek stuff or neve stuff.

i haven't worked on the duality. nor do i hear much about them anymore.
The Amek 9098i didn't have much of a vibe in my opinion. Very clean. Not bad, but not too much of a vibe.
Never cared for any of the Amek-Neve products. If it comes to Amek I'd rather had the original Langley designs... Not the micpres though...

If it is close to the 1084, as they claim, with the original transformers, it should have plenty of vibe. Let's wait and see...
Old 15th February 2008
Lives for gear

the 1084 sound is what i'm hoping for.

i actually thought when drivne hard enough the amek neve stuff was awesome, mainly the 9098.

but i still prefer the slickness of any SSL.

or my favorite "vibe" sound, any trident series, while i won't ever drive a trident too hot i like the sound of them.
Old 16th February 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
the neve is cheaper (from what this forum says) and it seems to offer more versatility.
cheaper entry point, but if you go full EQ/Dyn of course it starts to add up.
Old 16th February 2008
Lives for gear

Internal power supply scares me a bit.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search