The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audio Accessories vs Switchcraft
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

Audio Accessories vs Switchcraft

Any opinions on these 2 company's 96 tt d-sub bays? Thanks
Tim
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

I've had both for about 3 months. A dealer substituted an AA bay for a Switchcraft because of availability. So I have a short-term use opinion.

I'm a bigger fan of the Switchcraft bays than the Audio Accessories. The AA Patch Bay is very shallow in depth (meaning I have to take the bay out of the rack to wire it because I can't wedge my hand and screw in a DB25 connector in a 1U space) and the normalling switches are impossible to get to once it's in the rack. There is this stupid plate on the back (that they tout as a convenient place to zip tie cables - which, in their defense, does cut down on cable stress) that makes it very difficult to screw in the DB25 connectors on the bottom row. I was on the verge of cursing them.

We'll see how they hold up in the long haul, but for convenience, I am finding I much prefer the Switchcraft patch bays.
Old 24th November 2007
Lives for gear

I'm being advised to go with mogami gold xlr-d sub as well.
Old 24th November 2007
Lives for gear

I don't have any experience with those.
Old 13th June 2008
Lives for gear

Any more opinions on these two? I want the best audio quality and reliability, need to make a decision in the next few days.
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

I'd like to bump this thread to see what other users have to say...

Particularly those with experience with the 1.5U version of the Audio Accessories (WDBP-9615-SH) vs it's 1U counterpart (WDBP-961-SH) - which I am more keen on getting, due space concerns..
Old 31st January 2016
Lives for gear

Like most things audio you are looking at trade offs. Smaller unit usually means harder to reconfigure. It's the same arguement between using a DB25 connector vs. individual Elco E3 connectors. If in the USA and interested in the AA 1 1/2 space with E3 connectors version, just send me a PM with your contact info as I've got 4 like new with connectors/gold pins/new in package crimping tool (I'm not a dealer, just an end user).
Old 1st February 2016
Lives for gear

^ much appreciated on the offer; I forgot to mention that I'm interested in the DB25 connectors, as I will be using it with an Apollo 16.

Also after more thought, I find myself agreeing in the configurability aspect, and am now leaning towards the 1.5 U version - and getting a .5U rack panel to keep things looking tidy..

Thanks a lot for the input!
Old 3rd February 2016
Lives for gear

I use four 1.5U version of the Audio Accessories (WDBP-9615-SH) and Mogami Gold DB25 cables. Four takes up a perfect six spaces. If I only needed three, I might have gone with the smaller 1U to keep from getting that odd 1/2 space left over.

I am very happy with them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search