The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Question for Gates STA Level users...
Old 22nd November 2007
Lives for gear

Question for Gates STA Level users...

How do you "calibrate" your gr meter on a gates STA Level? I have never figured out the deal with that annoying meter pot behind the face plate (when and how to set it), and I tend to ignore what the meter reads due to that. I love the results using only my ears, but I do get really nervous when I look over at the meter and see 20 to 30 dB of reduction that I don't hear. Thanks.
Old 22nd November 2007
Lives for gear

I know mine was calibrated just perfectly and it still wasn't uncommon to have 20 dB gain reduction. That is a majorly solid compressor. Lots of users will tell you they push it way up into the 10 to 20 to even 25 dB range. As I recall you calibrate it simply by having the meter rest at 0 when there is no gain reduction going on. There could be something more complicated than that, but I don't think so.
Old 22nd November 2007

20+ dB of gain reduction is the norm for my two Sta Levels. That's where they come alive.
Old 22nd November 2007
Gear Maniac

Sta Level

Ours seem to operate the same way. That is; the meter is hitting minus 20 db and all's well. Our 670 shows no degradation in quality even when hit hard. On that unit, if the meters are even moving, it's usually too much compression. Just the opposite of the Sta Level. 6386's rule.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search