The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which API pre?
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

Which API pre?

212, 212L, 512, 312 (from 3124).

Who has heard the differences between any of these?

I'm looking for the most colored one with the tightest butt (bottom).

Or should I be looking at OSA? If so, which?

Thanks! yuktyy
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

Cant go wrong with either 512 or 3124 type pre's... either way they're the bomb for kiks and snares. I have rented them on sessions a few times and allways been impressed.

The DI is also ACE for BASS!!!!! and keyboards..

Now i only need a rack like the one currently on EBAY and i would never have to compalin about anything!..

PEACE
Wiggy
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

Yes, all the API stuff is equally good and the graphic eqs are tha bomb on drums! Now I have to find money to get that API smorgasbord on eBay!!!
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

Funny you should say that!

YEE HAW! or YEE F***ING HAW as they in Texas!

The BUY IT NOW price just couldn't be beat in UK squids.

Come to mama. COME to mama.

R.
Old 18th November 2002
Re: Which API pre?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax

The OSA MP1-C sounds identical to my Brent Averill 312. The OSA Lundahl rocks too, but isn't API-ish at all. More like a "Neve" (tm) with a clearer top.
Old 18th November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Ol' Betsey

R.
You're right. And the price on those 2 x 560b graphics (Norway location) seems cheap! I think the UK RRP is too high.
Old 18th November 2002
Re: Which API pre?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
212, 212L, 512, 312 (from 3124).

Who has heard the differences between any of these?

I'm looking for the most colored one with the tightest butt (bottom).

Thanks! yuktyy

With the 312's the biggest difference in sound comes in the transformers. Nowadays you see (3), the original Api,datatronix and the Lundhal(sometimes Jensen). What I've noticed is the originals sound better with bass, the Datatronix sounds better with drums/vocals and the Lundhals(jensen) are somewhere in between.

The 212 have that similar Api sound. I haven't really tried the OSA yet.
Old 18th November 2002
Lives for gear

From my understanding . . . all the NEW pres bought from API are the same. Outside of the box or rack size. Mike Harris or Fletcher could give a more informed answer as dealers.

Only difference is the 512 has a DI. I could be wrong about that, but I believe it to be true. I have 4-512s, 2-560s and 4-550s . . . . the only thing I don't like about them is, that I don't have more. As stated . . . the 560s are excellent for many things.

I would think any model that you buy, you will enjoy and use often. I believe there is a 3 series box that allows you to sum the combined mics together . . that would come in handy.
Old 19th November 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Funny you should say that!

YEE HAW! or YEE F***ING HAW as they in Texas!

Come to mama. COME to mama.
I HATE YOU!!! I've been eyeing that for a week... Lurking in the shadows until the final count down.
Old 19th November 2002
One with big hooves

Well, I think the 512 is more colored then the OSA but the bottom on the OSA MP-1A is tighter. It's also not as extended sounding but that's a good thing in my book.
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Thanks for all the comments. They are helpful.

After some researching on various audio boards, I'm convinced from several comments that the 312 or MP1-C are the ticket. Looks more likely to be a pair of MP1-C's sitting in a 10 slot API rack. My current pre collection is lacking some aggressive midrange stomp, which I expect to get from the OSA. I have:

Great River MP-2
Cranesong Flamingo
Vintech 1272
Manley dual mono 40dB
Ghost - which I'm selling (locally unless someone wants to drive to the west coast and pick it up!)

Ahh screw it, I'll make up my mind right here. MP1-C, here I come.

I'm not gonna like staring into the empty API slots, but that's part of the evil trick. I know I'll add to it. Besides, I can always raise my hampsters in there.
heh
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Install a little wheelcage strapped to a dynamo inside and you might be able to skimp on a power supply to afford more modules...
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Well, I was gonna attach Schlomo's running wheel to my electric heating element's power supply for the winter, but I think the rack idea is better!

rollz yuktyy
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

What do you need heating for in San Rafael anyway?
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Sorry 1nation.

Well kinda...

It was a pretty big jump for me. I was only looking for a coupla 1272's and suddenly stumbled on to these and couldn't pass them up. Like I said, it's a huge saving on UK/Euro prices.

Although I had originally planned on getting a couple 560's I didn't ever think I was going to end up with a front end from heaven. A producer-friend laughed with delight when I told him that I bought it (he's a Wiggy API Slut!).

Having said that, it's put a SERIOUS dent in my budget and has forced me to reassess my HD/MixPlus situation.

And guess what? MixPlus here I come. I just don't have the cash to go that far up the ladder now and funny thing is, come to the crunch, it wasn't that hard a choice.

R.
Old 19th November 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by groundcontrol
What do you need heating for in San Rafael anyway?
You'd be surprised! It gets colder in SR during winter than it does in SF. Probably neither tickle the icicles like Montreal, though. Brrrrrrr!

My studio turns into a giant refrigerator but without all the moisture each winter. Good for the gear!
Old 22nd November 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
Sorry 1nation.
It's alright, that's what I get for "Lurking". Next time I'll make moves. Congratulations on your new front end. If you ever decide to part with it... Holla!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search