The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studer A800 headstack/repro head question
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Nut

Studer A800 headstack/repro head question

Hey guys
We've got a Studer A800 at the studio that needs a new repro head. We wouldn't mind picking up a whole new headstack, too.
Is there any other headstacks/repro heads that are compatible with A800? They're pretty tough to find so that would be a huge help. Of course if you happen to be selling the afformentioned things that would be great too
Thanks!
Scott
Old 15th November 2007
Gear Nut

studer A 800 heads

You need to stick with the Studer A800 heads - they're expensive but worth it.... and from time to time good whole headstacks do come up for sale.

You want to get the 'long life' heads - the early 800's had heads that didn't last all that long, and Studer changed the materials and such and came up with a much longer life head.

Ron Timmons at Audio Images here in San Francisco has a Studer A-800 24 track for sale and I think he would be willing to sell the headstack (which are the long life heads) for maybe $ 5,000. As I recall the heads were in great condition. This would be less than buying a new single Repro head from Studer. call him at 415 957****31.

Ron is a nice honest guy.

regards,

Goreski
Old 16th November 2007
Gear Nut

Ah great info. Thanks for the tip. I'll see what kind of fundage we're working with and perhaps we'll give him a buzz. Thanks again!
Scott
Old 6th December 2007
Gear Nut

Studer A-800 repro head - 1,650 bucks

Scott...

I had 'sold' a Studer A-800 repro head I had relapped a month before your thread came up but the guy who was going to buy it just had his wife put a halt to him buying it for now.... so it's available if you want it.

So if you want it you can have it for 1,650 bucks which is a steal since it's the Long Life 317 head and it's just been relapped and unused since then ! The other guy was going to pay 2k for it relapped, so you're paying less than he was going to...

The other guy forfits his deposit of 200 bucks.... but that's life.

regards,

Goreski
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Call JRF Magnetics. They have multiple options for you.

It ain't cheap, but it ain't terrible...

I am really wanting an 8 track headstack... I can't remember the price quote, but I think it was $7k for their 8 track headstacks... And I think their 24 track studer 800 replacements are around $4k
Old 7th December 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreski View Post
Ron Timmons at Audio Images here in San Francisco has a Studer A-800 24 track for sale and I think he would be willing to sell the headstack (which are the long life heads) for maybe $ 5,000.
I would think you could probably get the whole machine for like $6-7k as that is what I have been seeing them go for these days... but I guess ya never know until ya ask.

Something tells me that if your "repro" head is shot and you had your tape path set up even close to correctly that your "record" head is about an inch away from death as well.

It might be wise to send the whole headstack to JRF Magnetic Sciences in NJ... their phone number is: [+1] 973-579-5773. Have the heads evaluated and discuss your options with John [French].... he's a great guy and won't steer you wrong.

From there, you might want to see what you can pick up the other A-800 for [have them send the headstack to JRF for a head report... there are a few companies that do head reports... JRF is ONLY one I trust as I've gotten incorrect ones from both Sprauge as well as Amp Services].

If the other A-800 has the 817 heads and <5k hours then it would probably be wise to pick up a "spares deck"... and maybe have either 8 track or 16 track heads built for your deck.

Just a thought... not necessarily a good one.

Peace.
Old 7th December 2007
Here for the gear

Scott i have a used A800 24 track complete head stack with 317 heads for sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAltiz View Post
Hey guys
We've got a Studer A800 at the studio that needs a new repro head. We wouldn't mind picking up a whole new headstack, too.
Is there any other headstacks/repro heads that are compatible with A800? They're pretty tough to find so that would be a huge help. Of course if you happen to be selling the afformentioned things that would be great too
Thanks!
Scott
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I would think you could probably get the whole machine for like $6-7k as that is what I have been seeing them go for these days... but I guess ya never know until ya ask.

Something tells me that if your "repro" head is shot and you had your tape path set up even close to correctly that your "record" head is about an inch away from death as well.

It might be wise to send the whole headstack to JRF Magnetic Sciences in NJ... their phone number is: [+1] 973-579-5773. Have the heads evaluated and discuss your options with John [French].... he's a great guy and won't steer you wrong.

From there, you might want to see what you can pick up the other A-800 for [have them send the headstack to JRF for a head report... there are a few companies that do head reports... JRF is ONLY one I trust as I've gotten incorrect ones from both Sprauge as well as Amp Services].

If the other A-800 has the 817 heads and <5k hours then it would probably be wise to pick up a "spares deck"... and maybe have either 8 track or 16 track heads built for your deck.

Just a thought... not necessarily a good one.

Peace.
flecther totally beat me to it, thats what i would say, hell you may even get a better machine than the one you have already...

parts is parts, or having 48 tracks is nice...thats said, you may be able to pick up an 820/827 for not much more...
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

new heads are around the price of used machines
Old 8th December 2007
Lives for gear

i don't think you could buy any headstack from studer right now......
i would call mike spitz or jrf or flux magnetics....they will make you
a new repro head or help you find one....

be well

- jack
Old 13th March 2010
Gear Addict

a800 heads

New question for an old thread ................
Just wondered if 24tr A80 heads are different from 24tr A800 heads?
One day I need new or relapped heads for my A800.....
Old 14th March 2010
member no 666

Yes, A-80 heads are indeed different than A-800 heads... but on the bright side, cost the same to replace so you might as well get 800 heads.

Peace.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search