The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
dirtiest compressor alive?
Old 8th April 2017
Here for the gear

Smash a tube or germanium pre
AWA Big 1 limiter
limiters in portable cassette or reel to reel or digital recorders
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Shure Level Loc is for sure the dirtiest compressor I own
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred80r View Post
I have some dynamites and some gain brains...I rarely use them EXCEPT, when I want to get just that correct amount of distortion. Push them hard, gain them up and compress them back down to useable...they seems to excel at this feature.

Thanx,
Jack
Which do you like better ? Dyna or GB ? If I was to just buy one,.. which one first ? ... oh.. I know a true GSlut needs both hahahah
Also,. is the original Dynamite better than the Dynamite 3 ?

Last edited by stevep; 8th April 2017 at 12:54 PM..
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Shure Level Loc is for sure the dirtiest compressor I own
I will see if I can find a good deal on one..

Searching for the Sure,.. I found This... symetrix 501

Is it already mentioned in this thread ?
Old 8th April 2017
Gear Maniac

Symetrix 501 is a ridiculous box at extreme settings. It can do the least subtle compression ever, like THWACK on every peak. SO not not not transparent.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
Alesis 3630

THAT'S the compressor you're looking for! thumbsup
Yup....that's the POS. It does compress, and it clicks, squashish, and takes all the life out of a signal.
Old 8th April 2017
Lives for gear

Don't know if it has been mentionned already but the Ashly SC-55 is pretty f*****g dirty in a good way. Can squash à mix to oblivion and the result is still listenable...
Old 9th April 2017
https://youtu.be/my_6TO_zcz8

(I'm thinking of selling this if anyone might be interested...)
Old 9th April 2017
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by playon View Post
https://youtu.be/my_6TO_zcz8

(I'm thinking of selling this if anyone might be interested...)
Sounds cool I might be interested ... Also looking for a Splice mKII at the moment
Old 9th April 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
IMO the LA-22 is not a dirty comp.

It's actually classy sounding, some bite and attitude but in a smooth way with a nice "sheen" on top. 1176 in a white suit, but a lot more tweakable. Good range on both attack and release plus that awesome freq dependent mode.

I'm gonna shut up now.
just reading through an old thread from page 1 + have to agree.

La22 sounds surprisingly nice.

think mine showing some low-level, inaudible mains hum on a freq. analyzer, possibly from old caps, but sounds very nice - not dirty at all.
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Which do you like better ? Dyna or GB ? If I was to just buy one,.. which one first ? ... oh.. I know a true GSlut needs both hahahah
Also,. is the original Dynamite better than the Dynamite 3 ?
So the Dynamite is a stand alone/rackable unit but my Gain Brains are all part of my valley people rack...The Dynamite is actually pretty darn useable in it's stock form and moreso with Mods (I think Jim Williams does a nice job.) The Gain Brains, Maxi Q's, Kepex and Desser are all great little devices but you have to be committed to buying the rack, wiring it all up (terminal posts) and getting it into your patch bay.

I don't really use the Eq's much but the Kepex are every bit as good or better (IMO) than the DBX 900 stuff, the Gain Brains Are dirty AF (as we discussed) and add a lot of weird stuff to a mix, The dynamite can just be used as a regular compressor to shave a little off the top or dig in deep (with noise.)

I just realized I am not helping at all.

Sorry,
Jack
Old 10th April 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Gain Brains, Maxi Q's, Kepex and Desser are all great little devices but you have to be committed to buying the rack, wiring it all up (terminal posts) and getting it into your patch bay.
I think that post was very helpful, Pred80r.

Quick clarification: Valley People Gain Brain II's and Kepex II's fit in the TR-804 half-rack units (which I think *do* need to be wired up) as well as the PR-10A full-width rack units (which I think all came stock with XLR connectors, pin 3 hot, on the back; or maybe I just got lucky, with mine pre-modded by someone?).

The Gain Brain II and Kepex II and DSP and Maxi-Q and so on modules are easily confused with the earlier Allison Research Gain Brains and Kepexes, which are a totally different size, and had somewhat simpler interfaces. So, apart from my natural tendency to be pedantic, it's important to postfix "II" on the end, or someone will end up buying modules and racks that do not mix and match (which I almost did, once upon a time).

I haven't used the Allison modules, but there is a cult following for them, as with the Dynamite (which I also haven't used, in either generation 1 or 2).

The Gain Brain IIs are the most tweakable dynamics devices I've used; a nudge of a knob makes a very audible difference to the character of compression, in a user-friendly, instant gratification way.

At extreme crush settings GBIIs also sound unlike anything else I've heard, almost like digital bitcrushing or something.

I read somewhere that one of Dave Derr's inspirations for the Distressor was the GBII, but I can't find that quote now.

This article, though, by Paul Buff, on using GBIIs and Kepex IIs (or, for that matter, any other dynamics devices) in creative ways is awesome, especially for a git like me who learns in isolation in his basement, without studio professionals around to share their methods & ideas:

http://www.technicalaudio.com/pdf/Va...g_concepts.pdf

OK I'll shut up now. Have fun getting dirty!

Johann
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
So the Dynamite is a stand alone/rackable unit but my Gain Brains are all part of my valley people rack...The Dynamite is actually pretty darn useable in it's stock form and moreso with Mods (I think Jim Williams does a nice job.) The Gain Brains, Maxi Q's, Kepex and Desser are all great little devices but you have to be committed to buying the rack, wiring it all up (terminal posts) and getting it into your patch bay.

I don't really use the Eq's much but the Kepex are every bit as good or better (IMO) than the DBX 900 stuff, the Gain Brains Are dirty AF (as we discussed) and add a lot of weird stuff to a mix, The dynamite can just be used as a regular compressor to shave a little off the top or dig in deep (with noise.)

I just realized I am not helping at all.

Sorry,
Jack
Hi Jack,. Have you used the Dynamite 3 ? Is it better than the original Dynamite ?
Old 11th April 2017
Gear Addict

Dynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post
Hi Jack,. Have you used the Dynamite 3 ? Is it better than the original Dynamite ?
I own a Dynamite II, black, rackmount, 1 space unit. I have never tried the Dynamite I, plastic or bakelite, dirty yellow, stand alone unit. I did not know there was a Dynamite 3 unless you are referring to the 500 series Dynamites that were released.

I have been trying to get my hands on the I, but I keep getting outbid by people who really want them. Of course this makes me really want it more so I keep trying and moving my numbers up. I truly think the I and the II are the ones you want for "DIRTY" compressors and the 500 series are a cleaner version that are more useful across the board but less useful for a dirty nasty slap in the face.

I am sure their are other people here who can comment on the other 2 versions.

Thanx,
Jack
Old 11th April 2017
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
I own a Dynamite II, black, rackmount, 1 space unit. I have never tried the Dynamite I, plastic or bakelite, dirty yellow, stand alone unit. I did not know there was a Dynamite 3 unless you are referring to the 500 series Dynamites that were released.

I have been trying to get my hands on the I, but I keep getting outbid by people who really want them. Of course this makes me really want it more so I keep trying and moving my numbers up. I truly think the I and the II are the ones you want for "DIRTY" compressors and the 500 series are a cleaner version that are more useful across the board but less useful for a dirty nasty slap in the face.

I am sure their are other people here who can comment on the other 2 versions.

Thanx,
Jack
Thanks for the info Jack. This is the DYAMITE3 I keep finding these when I search for the original DYAMITE on evilbay
dirtiest compressor alive?-dyamite3.jpg

Attached Thumbnails
dirtiest compressor alive?-dyamite3.jpg  
Old 11th April 2017
Deleted User
I have what is referred to as the 'II', and I also have the 610, which is basically two complete Dyna-mites put together. This yields a stereo-linkable pair of channels that EACH have separate Compressor and Expander/gate sections that can be used simultaneously. With the original Dyna-Mite line you could select Compression OR Expansion/Gate on each channel. With the 610 you can have both on each channel.
Those original Dyna-Mites didn't use a THAT VCA for the gain cell; they used Valley People's own discrete VCA. So did the original Symetrix 501's (the version with the little power toggle switch), as did the original Ashly Audio SC-50 (blue face panel). In fact I recently bought up a set of (5) 501s from a live sound company that was closing up shop ($200 for the lot!) just so that I would have some spare parts to keep my Ashly and the Dyna-Mites/610 up and running. Comps are like blondes...the dirtier the better

So for those of you who listed the Ashly SC-50, the Symetrix 501, and the Dyna-Mite II in this thread...you are definitely on the right track! The only dirtier comp I've ever used was a Shure Leve-Loc back in the late 70s...great on room mics!
Old 26th January 2019
Gear Guru

This thread has been going on a decade or so..... So I'll bump it again.

Just installed a pair of Avenson Smash compressors (Fostex MN50's?) in a LTL MrFocus 500 module, and man oh man.... Drum / Percussion smash for days. They just KILL it - in the coolest way. The blend function of the MrFocus allows me to dial things in exactly how I want it while on the inserts of my DAW. Avenson knocked it out of the park with this one. If you're looking for that drum/percussion smash, look no further. A classic for me.

They are currently parked on the Kick / Stomp buss of a group of songs I'm mixing - and they are NOT coming off. (Old school southern blues)

My original Dyna-Mites are cool for destruction too. More snap and attack than the Avenson's which are hugerizors.
Old 27th January 2019
Gear Guru

I Sold My EHX NY2A a couple months back .. that was the Biggest Colored Sound i have ever heard in a Comp !!! and 2 channels of it !!! .. very unique and cool !!!
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonodj View Post
hey slutz,
I am looking for a new compressor! But i want a really dirty one!
The dirtiest alive!
a unit that changes the sound dramatically!!

. A box where the output can sounds totally different than the input.
i once used a Bellari tube compressor for 3 days on almost everything before deciding it was the worst thing ever and genuinely not worth even $25.

i would never suggest it to anyone for any audio purpose at all.

and im a guy who can make most things work.

Evil Thing it was. might be what you are after.??????

Buddha
Old 27th January 2019
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post
i once used a Bellari tube compressor for 3 days on almost everything before deciding it was the worst thing ever and genuinely not worth even $25.

Buddha
hahaha Yes, I have a Rolls Bellari a friend loaned to me.. it is almost impossible to get any kind of transparent compression with it !

So far I have used it on some overheads and it worked good,,, to smash
it has some distortion that might be considered 'dirty' or just unwanted.. hahahha !!

I think it would also be good for an acoustic guitar or maybe drum room.

My favorite to smash a acoustic is the Inward Connections compressors,. I love those But I don't have them now... :(
Old 28th January 2019
Lives for gear

Shure M267 with built in limiter
Crushing
Old 28th January 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Crushing
Hey Rob! You've got to try the Avenson Smash color module compressor. For that smashing drum / percussion room sound, it's better than anything else I've got. Check with BradM about getting one of the ones he has modded for colour slots.

Just killer! Like I mentioned above, I'm using the Mr Focus as a host, and the blend and tilt EQ work like magic with this compressor. I also want to try out Jon Ericsson's level lock comp.
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post
I have what is referred to as the 'II', and I also have the 610, which is basically two complete Dyna-mites put together. This yields a stereo-linkable pair of channels that EACH have separate Compressor and Expander/gate sections that can be used simultaneously. With the original Dyna-Mite line you could select Compression OR Expansion/Gate on each channel. With the 610 you can have both on each channel.
Those original Dyna-Mites didn't use a THAT VCA for the gain cell; they used Valley People's own discrete VCA. So did the original Symetrix 501's (the version with the little power toggle switch), as did the original Ashly Audio SC-50 (blue face panel). In fact I recently bought up a set of (5) 501s from a live sound company that was closing up shop ($200 for the lot!) just so that I would have some spare parts to keep my Ashly and the Dyna-Mites/610 up and running. Comps are like blondes...the dirtier the better

So for those of you who listed the Ashly SC-50, the Symetrix 501, and the Dyna-Mite II in this thread...you are definitely on the right track! The only dirtier comp I've ever used was a Shure Leve-Loc back in the late 70s...great on room mics!

Some of the Symetrix 501s with the push button power switch also have the Valley People VCA. It could have been a mod I guess but I have a pair with them. So if anyone cares enough it might be worth checking inside or asking a seller to check.

The black face Ashly SC-50 also has a really cool sound. I know the blue one is more desirable but the black one I have seems to add a cranked amp sound to everything that I like a lot.
Old 13th February 2019
Gear Nut

people have already mentioned the shure level-loc so i'll just say yes, i agree.
Old 14th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob S View Post
Crushing
Yeah, that limiter's pretty damn brutal!

The M267's actually pretty damn clean until you drive the limiter into gain reduction.

...Then it sounds much more ragged than a Level-Loc ever did (to me).

Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GYMusic View Post
Don't forget the Audio Logic MT66.
Going way back in time to agree EMPHATICALLY with this.

Picked up a free one not too long ago and it is one of the dirtiest compressors I've encountered Supposedly its' a DBX166 knockoff, but I had a 166A for a few years and my impression of that was that it worked but it was kind of bland and characterless, the sort of thing you'd use as a safety limiter in a small PA system (which is what the guy I ended up trading it to uses it for now). The MT66 is anything but, even at sub 2:1 ratios it smashes drums in a really usable, aggressive way (if you're looking for an over the top, late 90s DnB sort of thing, for example).

The asking prices on eBay right now seem a bit high, but it looks like one sold for $30 a few weeks ago and for THAT price I don't think anyone looking for a really dirty character compressor for drums and samples would be disappointed.

But the dirtiest compressor I've ever heard is without question the DBX117 with the infinite ratio mod from the user's manual added (it's really simple, just short across two terminals that were put on the board specifically for the mod, or better yet ad a switch since it still has its uses in stock mode). Nothing elxe I've heard comes close but it also pushes the noise floor in silent passages up really high so you need to manually ride the ratio knob to avoid huge swells of hum and hiss if there's space in the track you're compressing. As long as there's a loud enough signal to trigger the detector it's not an issue though, and you could always follow it with a gate that was keyed from the PRE compression signal (I don't do that but I've met someone who does and I guess it works for him - I just ride the ratio knob and print the results to a new track).

Stock, the 117 is the least interesting of the early 70s DBX consumer compressors so it tends to be the least expensive, too. I got mine for $10 at a record store years ago but even on eBay it seems like they're in the same range as an Alesis Microlimiter (which is also great for this kind of thing but pretty tame compared to a modded 117)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Have a modded symetrix 525 that sounds ' sweet' on electric guitars. Stays on there permanently. Maybe la3a-ish but does its own thing.

I second reaching first for a distortion unit vs a comp when you're looking for dirt.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asylumdigital View Post
CBS Volumax - its about ugly...
Love that thing! It does this weird thing where it like, sucks out the ambience, but not in a gated way, in a cool way. It’s like the track got baked in a kiln. .
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG BUDDHA View Post

Buddha
Flashback!

Many years ago, in the early days of project studio recording a friend of mine who had "money" turned up to my place with a brand new Bellari tube compressor and a Focusrite Green series channel strip in a SKB road rack case.

It was considered pretty good stuff in those days for a project studio.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Volumax with an Audimax is a cool thing

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search