The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
monitors for small room: Focal Solo or Klein Hummel 300? Studio Monitors
Old 11th November 2007
Gear Maniac

monitors for small room: Focal Solo or Klein Hummel 300?

hi guys,

my mixing room will be rather small: 11x15x7 (feet). I was wondering if size of monitors I get should depend on the size of my room. I'm looking mostly at KH300 (or Twin - although those really seem a little too big for a 11' wide room...) but thought that since the room is small, maybe something like Focal Solo would be more advisable? (i heard 300 have more bass than Solo - would that be a benefit or not in a room my size?).

Also, Some folks on this forum mention that Solos dont have enough bass but would they have enough for my needs? - I need high quality monitors that will be used mostly for mixing radio commercials (so Voiceovers + some special effects and/or some music)

thanks

mark
Old 11th November 2007
member no 666

I'm doing that shoot out either at the end of this week or at the beginning of the week following [I have an out of the area gig from 16-25 November so I won't be using my room].

If you'd like to hear that kind of a "shoot out" [they take a few days because you have to do a couple of mixes on each set and then listen to them out of the building to determine if you like the way the mixes reference outside the control room] then I'd invite you by to check out the process / participate.

From what I've heard of K&H stuff in the past it I quite liked them... since Sennheiser purchased the company I've not heard any of their current models so they're sending up a couple of sets for us to play with for a couple of weeks.

If you're interested in being around while we play with them it is certainly not a struggle... just let us know and we'll firm up the booking of when the monitors will arrive for our perusal.

Peace.
Old 11th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I'm doing that shoot out either at the end of this week or at the beginning of the week following [I have an out of the area gig from 16-25 November so I won't be using my room].

If you'd like to hear that kind of a "shoot out" [they take a few days because you have to do a couple of mixes on each set and then listen to them out of the building to determine if you like the way the mixes reference outside the control room] then I'd invite you by to check out the process / participate.

From what I've heard of K&H stuff in the past it I quite liked them... since Sennheiser purchased the company I've not heard any of their current models so they're sending up a couple of sets for us to play with for a couple of weeks.

If you're interested in being around while we play with them it is certainly not a struggle... just let us know and we'll firm up the booking of when the monitors will arrive for our perusal.

Peace.
you should certainly try the o500c (and report). I heard it briefly in the (soundproof) booth at the Frankfurter Messe, but never used in anger. the o410d looks like a scaled down version.
Old 12th November 2007
Gear Maniac

thanks fletcher - it would be nice to hear your comments after you're done with that shootout.

guys...

I would be very curious what you think about the "ideal" size of monitors for the room of that size: 11x15x7. Say (without looking at the price) what size of monitor would be more advisable for this room? (size of a Focal Solo or Focal Twin?? The monitors would be placed along the 11' wall... Also in a room that size, which of the 2 monitors would be more advisable in terms of Bass response? (again, for mixing mostly radio commercials (VO + music bed + radio imaging elements) My room will be professionally treated.

thanks
Old 9th May 2009
Here for the gear

old thread but no one has still answered the question... Mark which monitor did you go for?

I'm in a treated room about the same size and thinking about the focla solo or twin. Had a listen to the solo a week ago and fell in love :-) But on gearslut almost everybody seem to think better of the twin.

Is my room to small for twins?

thanks
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockoma View Post
old thread but no one has still answered the question... Mark which monitor did you go for?

I'm in a treated room about the same size and thinking about the focla solo or twin. Had a listen to the solo a week ago and fell in love :-) But on gearslut almost everybody seem to think better of the twin.

Is my room to small for twins?

thanks
Indeed. This particular thread topic would address some of my main concerns (room size vs Twins/O300's). I'm really trying to avoid buying and shipping back, but there aren't many other options at this point.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear
O300's are much nicer, though only downside is they can limit out quite easy without a sub and low end can lack some punch but they better in every other are in my opinion.
Old 22nd January 2012
Gear Maniac

If you can wait, the rumour is the next in line for an upgrade (a la O110 to KH 120) is the O300 -> KH310 later this year.
Old 22nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, I've heard good arguments for both sets of monitors, and am also thinking about the KH120's, though I do feel getting a larger pair will allow me to learn them over time, without worrying about upgrading due to small size. It sucks not being able to afford getting em all in the studio at one time, to just decide and rest assured. In the end though, I'll likely just pick one and live with the choice. I'm growing tired of deciding in my head, due to the fact I know I'll be unable to audition more than one pair.

Some say Twins for Hip Hop, some say O300 for Hip Hop, some say KH120 or smaller rooms, some say get a more full-range monitor. It goes on and on and on, haha. My room is 14x12x7.5. I'm likely going to get the Twins, because of Mercenary's outstanding warranty extension and service. The Neumann 1-year warranty boggles my mind, though I'm so curious as to their sound, and even wonder if the KH120 might be enough for me (much lower cost is always welcome).

Anyway, we'll see. Yeah, I'm very curious to see what the KH310's will be priced at. If they aren't out by June though, I'm not waiting for em. I've waited for gear in the past, and you always lose so much time. Can't rely on release dates. Gotta live in the now.
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Waddington View Post
If you can wait, the rumour is the next in line for an upgrade (a la O110 to KH 120) is the O300 -> KH310 later this year.
Any bigger monitor than KH 120 (with lower low end ... woofer 6,5") in the plans ? Something like new Neumann O200 (Neumann KH210 )
Old 24th January 2012
Gear Guru

The Geithain RS960 may also be worth considering - it's small and in the same ball-park.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search