The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Wunder CM7 vs. CM7-GT (Samples)
Old 9th December 2007 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

All of those samples sound fantastic. I'm looking forward to hearing a couple of your tunes on the radio. Congrats thumbsup
Old 10th December 2007 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindbend View Post
All of those samples sound fantastic. I'm looking forward to hearing a couple of your tunes on the radio. Congrats thumbsup
Hey I will buy his CD...The song writing, arrangement, performances, recording and engineering are all great.

Some times we get too caught up on what mic or what converter will make a recording great. Unless the song, the arrangement, and performance are great, it does not make a difference which mic or converter you use.
Thanks, guys -
I really love this song, it hasn't been cut yet, but I think it's one of the best things I've written in a while...Anyway - I would love to hear whether you guys like the CM7-GT better on my voice or the CM7. The CM7 has TONS of rich mid-range - which sounds fantastic - on certain voices...My vocal can get really honky in the 500hz-1.5khz range...I'm wondering if the CM7 accentuates that range and some air seems to be missing. Don't pull any punches - I'd love to hear some opinions. BTW - I'm not downing the CM7 - it's bad ass...
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Thanks, guys -
I really love this song, it hasn't been cut yet, but I think it's one of the best things I've written in a while...Anyway - I would love to hear whether you guys like the CM7-GT better on my voice or the CM7. The CM7 has TONS of rich mid-range - which sounds fantastic - on certain voices...My vocal can get really honky in the 500hz-1.5khz range...I'm wondering if the CM7 accentuates that range and some air seems to be missing. Don't pull any punches - I'd love to hear some opinions. BTW - I'm not downing the CM7 - it's bad ass...

I realize that you recorded and posted samples of both mics earlier, but were they done in the same location with the same recording chain? If not, record some more samples of the two mics back to back, so we can do a fair comparison. If you do them back to back, the takes(performance) will sound more consistent, and we can take that aspect out of the equation. Since it's what is in the mix that matters(not soloed in this instance) give us full mix versions of each mic with no compression or eq(maybe just one verse and one chorus.) Then post another version of the takes you just recorded where you have eq'd them, and compressed each one to your liking. That will give us a good base to do a proper comparison.
Lives for gear

For JohnKenn---

MAJOR sound and MAJOR writing.
Many thanks for something real.

best from Chicago,

PhlushBonic
Old 11th December 2007 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Yep.... TOTALLY major sound and song.

Bravo.

Your first mixes you first posted sound best (Wunder CM7mix)

In contrast, the LA2A mix really eats up a lot of high end. Your high end is where a good portion of your intimacy is in this song.

You DO have a recording deal I would hope....
Old 11th December 2007 | Show parent
Thanks, man - no - I'm a songwriter in Nashville. Hope I can get this one cut...You like the WunderCM7mix file the best? That's actually the one I sent back because of the tube. I just added a little low end on it...I ultimately thought that mic was a little honky in the mids. Mike later said there was nothing wrong with the tube, that capsule and tube just lacked a little low end. I really thought the "With EQ" file sounded the best. I only added software eq, so I might try and add a little top from the Aurora next time. I agree that the LA2A takes away too much air...I'm just not sure this mic and pre combo needs anything to give it more thickness in the low-mids and mids...
Old 16th December 2007 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Hi Johnkenn

This is off topic.
What do you used for drums??..they sound really good. Are they real, or programmed. What u used?

Please PM me

Thanks.
Pandemonium
Gear Maniac

Want it even more confusing?

I liked the version with the LA-2A with no EQ.

But that's crazy me...

I LIKE how it doesn't sizzle too much.

>>AG
Gear Maniac

What did you add to the no eq version to get the the sound in the final version? Could you also post the instrumental version? love that arrangement!
Lives for gear

Apples to apples

I'm sorry if I got lost in this thread, but were there ever any clips that compared the GT to the CM7 with the same song, recorded the same way, that weren't marred by the apparently bad tube (or whatever) from the first go-round? Could you please post a consolidated message with just one clip of each (with all recording chain factors held the same)? Thanks.

JT
Old 17th December 2007 | Show parent
Yeah - I might take down some of the first ones and just post the raw GT and CM7 versions. Of course the last set of files I posted were of the CM7 and the first file I posted is the GT...
Old 24th December 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

Dreamkiller.... you would sound good on a radioshack mic, but that Wunder mic sounds great! I want one.

Chris
Hehe...busted! Thanks, Chris...

Guess what I just bought...you're going to laugh at me...Two Mono Gama's in a Brent Averill rack. (Chris has tried to intervene in my gear addiction, but I don't have a problem.) heh
I just updated this thread. The initial post has the two comparable files for download. It was getting confusing with all the different versions I had going on...
Gear Maniac

I'm not sure if it is my imagination, but it seems like the k47 clip has the vocal slightly louder that the M7 clip. It feels like the CM7GT K47 is more open up top, and I prefer the top end that it adds. It seems a little sibilant, but it doesn't bother me that much. I do feel that the CM7 clip has more depth to it. It is not as open up top, but it feels more three dimensional and definitely has a mean midrange I am sure that you can eq CM7 to have a similar top end to the CM7GT k47, that way you could have the top end and the depth. In this particular instance though, I would find it hard to part with extra three thousand dollars for the CM7. As we have said before, the slutiest thing is the song, and neither one of these mics is going to hold back this song. I would be happy with either mic, but I personally wouldn't spend the extra cash for the CM7, because three thousand bucks, is three thousand bucks If money were no object, I'd have 'em both
Old 25th December 2007 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Hehe...busted! Thanks, Chris...

(Chris has tried to intervene in my gear addiction, but I don't have a problem.) heh
The first step is admitting that you have a problem...

What do you think of the mono gamas? They are my favorite pres right now. I love them on everything. I'm going to sell my V76M's and buy some more...

Chris
Old 25th December 2007 | Show parent
Let me try one of those 76's out before you sell! I haven't gotten the MG's - should be here Thursday...
Old 7th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Amazing song, amazing arrangment and performance! All the best for this project!

There's a tone difference for sure.
My impressions in short terms:
M7 is brighter.
K47 darker.
K47 sounds more compressed to my ears.
K47 is more sibilant.
Your voice is more nasal on the m7 (but in Country Music, it's good right?)
The voice is a bit louder on the mix with CM7 (M7) which makes it less confortable...
...In the other hand M7 is more present (as flat EQ)
Both mics are great and any of them, with a little EQ, will cut fine through the mix.
If I had to pick one: K47

Man, btw what mic did you kept in the end?
I kept the CM7, but I gotta tell you...I'm still not sure if I don't like the GT k47 better for my voice. You described the differences very well. I'm really kind of digging the big low end on the k47...less 1-4k too...
Lives for gear

I understand your pain. I would be confused as well.
Both have itยดs Pros and Cons...
The good news is that they all sounds great. thumbsup
Old 24th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

I have listened to the new samples and like the CM7, however what I don't know is weather I like it because the tube difference, or the capsule or both

correct me if i'm wrong but i assume its CM7 steel tube with M7 vs CM7 gt glass tube with k47.

I would like to hear a GT with M7 against the full cm7 with M7
Old 24th February 2010 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcal View Post
I have listened to the new samples and like the CM7, however what I don't know is weather I like it because the tube difference, or the capsule or both

correct me if i'm wrong but i assume its CM7 steel tube with M7 vs CM7 gt glass tube with k47.

I would like to hear a GT with M7 against the full cm7 with M7

You can get either model with either M7 or CK7 capsules. Even with the same capsule the different models sound different. I found the CM7 more full bodied and consequently bought that (with an M7 capsule). Just to make matters more difficult, either capsule can be specifically chosen to meet your requirements or preferences. You just need to chat with Mike.
Old 7th March 2010 | Show parent
cm7gt k47

For anyone interest, I'm selling my Wunder CM7gt/k47. It's listed here:
Wunder Audio CM7-gt (k47)
Old 21st February 2012 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
Hey I will buy his CD...The song writing, arrangement, performances, recording and engineering are all great.

Some times we get too caught up on what mic or what converter will make a recording great. Unless the song, the arrangement, and performance are great, it does not make a difference which mic or converter you use.
+100 on this... With this kind of performance I could care less about gear. EVERY sample sounds fantastic to me as well
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Head

Yes agreed. Nice tune. It's funny what people hear. It's funny what I hear.The GT sounds a fraction thinner to me and the CM7 sounds a little smoother. I'd describe it as woolier, especially without EQ. We're splitting hairs here though, which makes me happy I bought the GT and saved some cash. I compared my GT to my Peluso 2247SE, (American Tube) and the GT doesn't have as much low mid warmth as the Peluso, but in terms of openness, depth and clarity and especially transient response there's no comparison. That's the thing I never liked about the Peluso, it has a natural compression that tends to stifle an otherwise nice sounding mic...in my opinion.
Old 20th January 2017
Lives for gear

B is more emotional! But for today's music A! Both are great!!
๐Ÿ“ Reply