The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Passive EQ with no make-up gain? suggestions?
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Addict

Passive EQ with no make-up gain? suggestions?

I have some old passive EQ's with no make-up gain. Mostly lab instruments. I find them useful, and I like that I can add any pre-amp after to make up gain.

Are there any really nice 'high-end' totally passive (no power) EQ's people would recommend?

(or offer to sell me?)
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Just the good 'ole stuff that was either built-in or external and accompanied old mixers, Langevin, UA, Cinema-Engineering.
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

I got a couple of things recently and have to unload some.
Amek BCIII on the way, and it's not crucial for me to have as much EQ as I have.
So, 2 things on the way out:
Focusrite RED2 - not passive.
Siemmens W295b - passive, sweet .. and I'm gonna miss it..
Old 8th November 2007
NEUMANN PEV .....mid 60's some of the sweetes mids and highs i've heard
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Tube-Tech PE 1C
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

Thermionic Culture Pullet.

i haven't used it, but it's out there and it's passive.
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Addict

The Siemens and Neumann are not really passive.
They are based around LC filter (like Pultecs) and buffered internally with a transistor amp. That´s why they need 24V DC.

Eckmiller W86a is fully passive with a loss of 34dB. One of the V72 purposes was to make up the gain after the Eq.

Gearslutz member Reptil once had a pair for sale, btw
Old 8th November 2007
Lives for gear

It feels like a passive..
heh
But agreed.
No gain loss.

How about Pultec filter HLP-5C?
Old 8th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
Thermionic Culture Pullet.

i haven't used it, but it's out there and it's passive.

This looks promising (haven't heard it but I know they make nice gear).
Old 8th November 2007
Gear Addict

Thank you all. I'll check out the Pullet (looks cool), and Eckmiller W86a. Any others?

Cheers and thanks,

Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by okailla View Post
They are based around LC filter (like Pultecs) and buffered internally with a transistor amp. That´s why they need 24V DC.

Eckmiller W86a is fully passive with a loss of 34dB. One of the V72 purposes was to make up the gain after the Eq.

Old 9th November 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Eckmiller W86a is fully passive with a loss of 34dB.

I bought them. Reptil was a great guy to do business with and the EQ's are very nice. They're highpass/lowpass based around 100Hz and 10kHz. The build quality is stunning on those things.

Another that hasn't been mentioned is the Spectra Sonics 500. I have a pair of those too. You can select from 4 different frequencies or OFF for both sides of those modules.

The Eckmillers are not as colored (or maybe less obtrusive) as the Sprectra Sonics...
Old 9th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorfuture View Post
Thank you all. I'll check out the Pullet (looks cool), and Eckmiller W86a. Any others?

Cheers and thanks,

Paul
Electrodyne 251A, Langevin 250 or 251 & Cinema Engineering 4031B. Altec also come to mind but I can't remember the numbers. Also early Universal Audio EQ's and Quad Eights (in fact a rack of 5 high and low passive EQ's from Wally Heiders old Q8 console just went off on ebay with no bids so watch for them to come up again).

Good luck, I love inductor based, passive EQ's myself and own about 35 to 40 channels of them, but most are attached to mic pre's and have the op-amp for make-up gain in place already.
Old 9th November 2007
Quote:

yep, sold it. It found a happy new home - nice to see you like them Djimbe! thumbsup I'm keeping the other pair I have. (W86 with sliders) they sound amazing. gold alloy (not gold plated) switches etc. Clearly cost was not an issue when these were made. they're getting scarce now. I'm lusting for a DW Fearn or simular, for makeup gain. someday....... what do you use for make up gain Djimbe?

FYI the Gyraf stereo eq is also passive, with a tube gain up amp stage.
Attached Thumbnails
Passive EQ with no make-up gain? suggestions?-picture-3.jpg  
Old 9th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Tube-Tech PE 1C
not passive - at least, it has makeup gain and powersupply built in, so it doesn't need to be followed by a mic amp.
Old 18th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
yep, sold it. It found a happy new home - nice to see you like them Djimbe! thumbsup I'm keeping the other pair I have. (W86 with sliders) they sound amazing. gold alloy (not gold plated) switches etc. Clearly cost was not an issue when these were made. they're getting scarce now. I'm lusting for a DW Fearn or simular, for makeup gain. someday....... what do you use for make up gain Djimbe?

FYI the Gyraf stereo eq is also passive, with a tube gain up amp stage.
Hi, I’m searching feedbacks on those modules. Do you still use them?
Do you think it’s good for a 2 buss or mastering situation combined with neumann pv46?
Regards

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search