The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony 800G microphone Vs U47/ U67 or 87?
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

Sony 800G is good for some voices (and that particular effect) and disaster when one doesn't need that. It's far from being universal vox mic.
Sometimes I prefer brighter, cleaner mics over creamier or darker vintages.
Brauner mics rule in this dept IMO.
I sold Sony after couple of years (it's only expensive among LDC mic that I sold so far)
Old 12th February 2010
I don't know of too many people, in Nashville anyway, that prefer a C800G over a U47, U67, C12, or even a U87. Except for Kenny Rogers. A C800G is the only microphone he'll use for recording vocals.

I've never tried it, even though I have access to one. I think I might borrow one for my next vocal session, and see how it sounds.
Old 12th February 2010
Lives for gear

I finally bought one mainly after many many request for one and here is my take. If you want a mic with shocking hi end detail and a mid range smoothing effect its most surely THE MIC to have. However like most product it doesn't always work. I have to say a U67 would be more of a Point and shoot at EVERYTHING mic. That sounds better on a wider range of sources than the C800 G. Now The BIG BUT. When the C800G works, let me say this for sure. Nothing ever made, works better. It's simply stunning!!!!! I have never heard anything like it when its the right mic for the person singing. WOW. If you have the means. its worth owning or having one at your disposal. Thanks
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Old 13th February 2010
Gear Head

Love the 800g and the u87 but the 800g sounds better most of the time

The 800g is a great mic and in fact does sound GREAT on 80% of people given the right pre (i go with an 1176 as my fav)... but i also hav a u87 that sounds great as well and both mics are known for bein bright mic which tend to sound good on A LOT of vocalists. the difference between the u87 and the 800g is that the u87 has more color and the 800g is more transparent.

I believe the 800g tends to sound better on deeper voices than most mics but thats just my .02
Old 13th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G View Post
The 800G sound nothing like a U47 or U67. The 800G is BRIGHT as SH****t. In my opinion, one of the worst vocal mics around.

Steve

NICE!!!

But somehow Brian Mcknight sold millions of his LPs using that terribly bright mic. I love his vocal sound. BRIGHT!!! AIRY!!! oh yea!!! . A very unique sound that I have appreciated. No better mic for that guy's voice and his music.
Old 14th February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONNX View Post
NICE!!!

But somehow Brian Mcknight sold millions of his LPs using that terribly bright mic. I love his vocal sound. BRIGH!!! AIRY!!! oh yea!!! . A very unique sound that I have appreciated. No better mic for that guy's voice.
I track most of the vocals I record with the Sony C800G + Neve 1073 and it's special quality always shines through.

Stating that a mic is bright doesn't tell much about it.

If you don't want bright, just EQ it. However, the main reason why the Sony is such a great mic is that it's sound is very "treatable" and plays together nicely with many of the tools we use today to have a vocal sit right in the mix. It has a great dynamic and "resolution" that will shine through even a long signal chain in the mix.

Whenever I have A/B'd the Sony with other mics, it felt like the Sony was "24bit" while most other mics are "16bit". If you know what I mean...

Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Sony C800 G Vs Manley Ref Cardiod advise

Hi

I have a chance to buy a High end microphone. I have a friend who can sell me a Sony for about $4.5K with minimal usage.
However, I can get a brand new Ref C for under $2.5K.

I do Britney/Kesha/Neyo style modern pop. I have a 1073 as Pre and will get a Retro 176 comp soon.

I wanted to know if the $2K difference is justified, considering the vocal sound and what each would deliver.

My work is at Clarence Jey on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
The 1st two vocal sounds summarize what I do in terms of vocals. Maybe some RnB and Reggae in there, both male and female. Not Heavy Rock or anything like that.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.. ASAP please people!! thx!!! and sorry if I jacked the thread a little......
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ1973 View Post
Hi

I have a chance to buy a High end microphone. I have a friend who can sell me a Sony for about $4.5K with minimal usage.

I do Britney/Kesha/Neyo style modern pop. I have a 1073 as Pre and will get a Retro 176 comp soon.

I wanted to know if the $2K difference is justified, considering the vocal sound and what each would deliver.

My work is at Clarence Jey on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Videos
The 1st two vocal sounds summarize what I do in terms of vocals. Maybe some RnB and Reggae in there, both male and female. Not Heavy Rock or anything like that.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.. ASAP please people!! thx!!! and sorry if I jacked the thread a little......
If you're buying off a friend, borrow it. Try it.
At the same time, contact a good dealer that has a good money-back guarantee or better yet a demo unit of the Ref. C and then test that as well.

Only you can tell if the price difference is worth it.
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
If you're buying off a friend, borrow it. Try it.
At the same time, contact a good dealer that has a good money-back guarantee or better yet a demo unit of the Ref. C and then test that as well.

Only you can tell if the price difference is worth it.
True. Thanks.
However, I am looking for 'expert Slutz' advise from those who have worked on typical types of sessions to see if it's worth it.
Thx.
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespirals View Post
it's not just for modern top 40 artists. david gilmour, who has an amazing collection of vintage mics, used the sony as his go to mic for his on an island solo record.
Recording David Gilmour's On An Island
Is that why the record has no soul?

Really though, you want a Sony, find a good working C37a. Yummy!
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Bump...slutz.. where art thou???

Quote:
Hi

Old 19th March 2010
Gear Guru

Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Old 19th March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN View Post
Hi All Gearslutz people

Does the Sony 800G sound like a Neumann U47/ U67 or 87?
Does anyone know what capsule and tube the 800G uses?

Cheers

Please know rude comments
The 800 is closest to an 87.
Old 19th March 2010
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpatural View Post
I've never used it for rock but it might be cool with the right singer.
On some interview with Howard Benson (I think it was from Mix Online), he was saying he used the Sony into a Quad Eight for the first Daughtry album. Not sure what was used on the seconds one, but I would bet it was the same.

Swaff
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swaff View Post
On some interview with Howard Benson (I think it was from Mix Online), he was saying he used the Sony into a Quad Eight for the first Daughtry album. Not sure what was used on the seconds one, but I would bet it was the same.

Swaff
Agreed :))

How Howard Benson Became Daughtry's Producer - mrDAUGHTRY.com - Forget The Mr, It's "Daughtry" Now

I've heard he swears by it for his vocals....with Quad 8 or 1081...(1081+Summit TLA100 were the late Michael Jackson's chain with the C800G)
Old 19th March 2010
Lives for gear

i've used it once on vocals (and tried a few times that it didn't work) and it's a very bright mic indeed, but it works sometimes very wel. I think it's a hit or miss mic, certainly not a versatile mic but it does it's one trick very good.

But it's not on my wishlist, there are better and more versatile arround i think (ELA-M251 or C12 or clones for instance or some brauner mics) if you need a rather bright modern sounding mic. And sometimes they will be cheaper also.
Old 31st December 2014
Lives for gear

My fav mic on my voice is a c800g, but the u67 by far is more versatile "point and shoot." It's thicker and adds a beautiful color. Not Sybilant either. The problem is probably finding a good one.
Old 3rd January 2015
Lives for gear

The U67 is the best vocal mic ever made. There is no comparison to anything.
Old 3rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Love how these threads jump 5 years and go on as if there was no break at all
Old 3rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainreduction View Post
me too

Old 3rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
5 years is nothing in the "lifespan" of an iconic mic. The OP may have long since lost interest, but the thread is as relevant today as the day it was posted.
Old 3rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky Media View Post
5 years is nothing in the "lifespan" of an iconic mic. The OP may have long since lost interest, but the thread is as relevant today as the day it was posted.
Absolutely, still as relevant as ever.

Those 5 year bumps just bring out a little smile over here.
Old 3rd January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely, still as relevant as ever.

Those 5 year bumps just bring out a little smile over here.
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

Old 4th January 2015
Gear Nut

I love the 800G but the Korby kat4 with 47 head is better. and with KAT you can have them all and match the into voices accordingly.
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was on the look out at the time.. have owned one since 2010.
Here is something I recently recorded on it. Vocals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kg9enIuu_yA
I thought you said you recorded this with a c800g
Old 4th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennaOkoye View Post
I thought you said you recorded this with a c800g
Yes, sorry I missed mentioning it here. C800g/1073/Cl1B chain.
Old 4th January 2015
Gear Maniac

Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search