The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peterson Stroborack?
Old 5th November 2007
Gear addict

Peterson Stroborack?

im looking for a good acurate studio tuner im looking into the peterson stroborack has anybody got one of these or used one?
Old 5th November 2007
Gear addict

anybody?
Old 5th November 2007
Gear nut

I've had 4 on order since last May. I hear they shipped the first batch last month, so
hopefully I'll be seeing them soon and I'll let you know. I have a stroboflip which I love, but clients have a hard time with it at first. I assume it will be the same for the rack version.

Best,

Jamie
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

I have one, I use the 490 Im not selling it though check ebay
but I also have strobosoft and I have a couple old CONN strobotuner.

They are all great. But to be honest the peterson
strobo soft is the most acurate. I know they claim
they are all +-.01 percent or whatever but the
software is more acurate for some reason
Im only talking a cent here or there but that makes
a difference
Old 5th November 2007
Lives for gear

The VSAM and Stroboflip are both excellent.
I use the VSAM every day. I also have a 590, but its a little big....
Old 5th November 2007
Gear maniac

I purchased Sonic Research's Turbo Tuner for $129.99, and I have to say it would be a good buy at twice the price. My guitar sounds like a different instrument; it already sounds much more like those expensive acoustic guitar sounds I've been after. Accurate tuning seems to be sadly neglected by many folks.
Old 6th November 2007
Gear addict

thx guys ill look into it
Old 6th November 2007
Gear maniac

I've got a StroboStomp (the original one, I believe they have a newer version out) and it's a solid tuner. It can be run on batteries, though I wouldn't recommend it, since it has a pretty hefty current draw because of the nice LCD.

Rick
Old 6th November 2007
Lives for gear

MAC?

Last I checked the strobo soft is not available for mac, too bad I would buy it immediately, I have the Vsam and love it.
Old 6th November 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephatboi View Post
Last I checked the strobo soft is not available for mac, too bad I would buy it immediately, I have the Vsam and love it.
i think it is available for mac 80 bucks US i think
Old 6th November 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
I have one, I use the 490 Im not selling it though check ebay
but I also have strobosoft and I have a couple old CONN strobotuner.

They are all great. But to be honest the peterson
strobo soft is the most acurate. I know they claim
they are all +-.01 percent or whatever but the
software is more acurate for some reason
Im only talking a cent here or there but that makes
a difference
is it really that good allen? strobo soft its cheaper than the hardware ones
Old 6th November 2007
Lives for gear

VSAM works for me.
Old 6th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockDog View Post
is it really that good allen? strobo soft its cheaper than the hardware ones
strobo soft Is cheaper cuz it's just sw. I mean the real strobes are electro/mechanical The cheaper units are 'virtual strobe' tuners not real strobes. A real strobe tuner is mechanical and more waaaaaay more acurate than quartz or cheaper digital tuners.

With the strobosoft it basically just comes down to it has a kickass algorithm that emulates a strobe. It's not a real 'strobe' but emulates one.

I'm sure the stroboflip and the other virtual models just have the strobosoft emedded into the firmware. Those are 200+ because they still need hardware to execute and display what's on the eprom right?

The strobosoft uses your computer hardware so all your paying for is essentially petersons virtual strobe algorithm.
Their stuff kicks ass. The software, the virtual strobes like the flip and the mechanical strobes like the old conn's. They are all really good

The bottom line is if you don't tune to a strobe your not in tune. If you tune to a Piano well that's just another can of worms I don't have time to address.
Tempered Tuning and gtrs is complicated
Old 6th November 2007
mds
Lives for gear

Another Strobostomp fan here...strobe tuning is geat...
Old 6th November 2007
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
strobo soft Is cheaper cuz it's just sw. I mean the real strobes are electro/mechanical The cheaper units are 'virtual strobe' tuners not real strobes. A real strobe tuner is mechanical and more waaaaaay more acurate than quartz or cheaper digital tuners.

With the strobosoft it basically just comes down to it has a kickass algorithm that emulates a strobe. It's not a real 'strobe' but emulates one.

I'm sure the stroboflip and the other virtual models just have the strobosoft emedded into the firmware. Those are 200+ because they still need hardware to execute and display what's on the eprom right?

The strobosoft uses your computer hardware so all your paying for is essentially petersons virtual strobe algorithm.
Their stuff kicks ass. The software, the virtual strobes like the flip and the mechanical strobes like the old conn's. They are all really good

The bottom line is if you don't tune to a strobe your not in tune. If you tune to a Piano well that's just another can of worms I don't have time to address.
Tempered Tuning and gtrs is complicated
cool i just looked it up on the site looks good is that wat you use?
Old 6th November 2007

I would use strobosoft over any hardware tuner I have tried (most of the big ones)

I'm running it on a mac.

Peterson said they are making a plugin version of it too

narco
Loading mentioned products ...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search