The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wich 500 series module for Bass tracking?
Old 31st October 2007
Gear Addict

Wich 500 series module for Bass tracking?

HI
as in the title...wich 500 series module PreAmp would U think could nicely meet a Bass Guitar mic or DI take?
The kind of music is mostly Heavy rock and Metal stuff!
and I have already a couple of 512C

Thanks!
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad-Max View Post
HI
as in the title...wich 500 series module PreAmp would U think could nicely meet a Bass Guitar mic or DI take?
The kind of music is mostly Heavy rock and Metal stuff!
and I have already a couple of 512C

Thanks!
I use/like the OSA L-3........thumbsup
Old 31st October 2007
Gear Nut

I like my Vintage design m581 better than the API 512c for bass. But it depends on the situation of course... Check the V.D out, it´s a great pre.
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

I love my Great River on bass, and now that they have a 500-series module, that might be a good place to start.
Old 8th November 2009
Lives for gear

I am loving my Juggernaut for that task.
rsp
Old 8th November 2009
Gear Addict

I've used a API 512 and also the Great Rivers with great results.
Old 8th November 2009
Lives for gear

I like the API 512c for AMP, but not DI.
For DI I like the UA 610.
Old 8th November 2009
Great River recently and the results were deep.
Old 8th November 2009
Lives for gear

Mmmmmmmm... MA5...
Attached Thumbnails
Wich 500 series module for Bass tracking?-homermmmm.jpg  
Old 8th November 2009
Lives for gear

in a recent tapeop review, andy hong mentioned how great the safesoundaudio p1/p501 pre/comp sounded for direct bass.
Old 9th November 2009
This is what Andy Hong said about the Juggernaut in his Tape Op review (issue 68):

"For bass guitar I preferred the iron output, and holy cow, I was able to get some incredibly clear but wonderfully growly sounds with the Juggernaut. Both clear and growly---at the same time? Yup, not only could I tweak the gain and +THD controls to vary how much the growl jumped out, but even the gutsiness and girth increased, the image remained incredibly clear-not at all fuzzy or hazy. Amazing."

This was the review of the 500 version. The Juggernaut Twin (the rack version) sounds the same but has the ability to use the transformer inputs on its DI also. You can run it into its channel two +4dbu line input, and use its switchable input, switchable output transformers and FAT function too for more color and tone shaping.
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
I like the API 512c for AMP, but not DI.
I agree, my fav DI is the Elixir
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

I know a lot of people disagree, but I love the Germanium 500 on bass.
Old 9th November 2009
Gear Maniac

+1 for the Great River! thumbsup I have been loving it lately for bass DI! At this moment in time, I like it a little more than my API for this application.
Old 9th November 2009
Lives for gear

This weekend I was tracking some bass DI:

Avalon U5>A Designs EM-Silver>Purple action

Clear and Ballsy!

Even just going in the DI on the EMS sounds pretty tasty too!!
Old 10th November 2009
Our P3500 compressor, driven by a preamp with DI, worke very well for bass tracking. Very gutsy... I set the attack time to let the string transients through.

The preamp I am using is my own take on API preamps with a Hi Z DI added. It's a prototype at this point.

Roger Foote
FCS
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

Great River is probably ideal. I know everyone's going to think I'm crazy, but try a decent Pbass into a Countryman DI and into, believe it or not, an Octopre. I was blown away. I also like my dual 72 with the Countryman DI.
Old 10th November 2009
Lives for gear

dont get hung up in this preamp madness. get a good one and be done wiith it!
neve, gml, benchmark, phoenix there are many great companies today. and they all deliver good products. dont trust anyone telling you to use a specific one...they dont even know what instrument you are using or what you are trying to achieve.
just get a good pre :-)
Old 12th November 2009
Gear Addict

+1 Great river mp-500nv

I love my Great river mp-2nv on bass¡¡¡¡
Old 12th November 2009
Lives for gear

I'd bet every preamp mentioned in this thread will work just fine. There are tonal differences, but it's really just preference at this level (well, the Octopre aside).

That said, my vote goes for either Great River or MA5 (with JDI in front). I own and have used and enjoyed both in this application

The Great River just always works. I think it might be that additional transformer on the DI input.

I've never really liked the 512 with bass D.I. It's certainly adequate, but more mid-focused and lacking in the depth department, in my experience.

Best of luck.
Old 13th November 2009
The DI on the Great River NV series was tweezed for bass applications. It hits the input transformer and has a lot of presence in the bottom to my ear. Basically, It has a wonderfully useful sound for that instrument, because Fletcher and Dan were going for that in the design. I find it sick for electric guitars, where clarity and accurate attack, need to accompany bold thickness. Its got a lot of weight, without loosing clarity for everything you patch into it. If your going 500 route, you might think about paring it up with the FCS P3500, which I have been using all over the place as of late. I set it in Feedback mode, with Peak mode and the High Pass Filter in: You can tweeze the compression so infinitely, I can't even begin to explain how many ways you can manipulate the "envelope" of a bass part without wreaking it.
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Nut

yeah, great rive, best bass di I know... only complain, sometimes it's just too FAT!!!!
If I want rock agrssive, leaving more space for the kick, I'll go 512c.
The purple Biz can be a good in beetween...
But for more low end, no competition, GR all the way.
Old 13th November 2009
Im partial to the BAE 312A DI lately. A nice tight low end that sits nice in the mix.
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
I am loving my Juggernaut for that task.
rsp
Same here. Coupled with a REDDI, its fantastic!
Old 13th November 2009
Gear Maniac

I can't believe I haven't seen this mentioned here...

My all-time favorite is the LaChapell 583s with a NOS Telefunken tube. I have a whole bunch of other DIs (Neve, Chandler, API). One day I tried them all, and got a great sound, but as an afterthought, I tried the LaChapell since I'd just acquired that NOS tube.

It absolutely blew all of the others away. It wasn't even close! Tight but gigantic and clear low end, not a trace of mud.
I haven't used anything else since. (The NOS Telefunken tube is essential, though. I have another one with a NOS Raytheon and it's cool, but not the same in the low end.)
Old 13th November 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by havershaw View Post
I can't believe I haven't seen this mentioned here...

My all-time favorite is the LaChapell 583s with a NOS Telefunken tube. I have a whole bunch of other DIs (Neve, Chandler, API). One day I tried them all, and got a great sound, but as an afterthought, I tried the LaChapell since I'd just acquired that NOS tube.

It absolutely blew all of the others away. It wasn't even close! Tight but gigantic and clear low end, not a trace of mud.
I haven't used anything else since. (The NOS Telefunken tube is essential, though. I have another one with a NOS Raytheon and it's cool, but not the same in the low end.)
+1 Scott makes huge sounding preamps.
Old 15th November 2009
Here for the gear

Atlas Audio - Juggernaut
Old 15th November 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProducerBoy View Post
Mmmmmmmm... MA5...
Old 19th January 2010
Gear Head

For Bass, I've been switching up between 4 pres/DI's.

LaChapell Audio - 583e
Great River - MP-500nv
Purple - Biz
Buzz Audio - Elixir

Each one brings it's own character to the table in a very cool way. I've been really enjoying the Purple Biz with the Dual button pushed in. Nice bite. I still have a lot of love for the Great River. The Buzz sounds round. The LaChapell sounds big.
One cool thing about the LaChapell is that the pad attenuates the signal after the tube stage, which means with the pad engaged you can drive the tube harder and get more compression. The pad only works with the xlr input, so you'd have to use an external DI.
Very versatile.

Enjoy.
Mark
Old 19th January 2010
Gear Addict

The only three I've had experience with are the OSA-L3, Great River 500, API 312. They all sounded great, and to be honest. Any 500 pre at this level is going to sound really good, if not amazing. heh
My impressions of those three were this. The GR and L3 have HUGE low end!. L3 has maybe a bit more top to it?. The API is MIDRANGE at it's finest!. If growly midrange is your thing, get an API. If you want big sub bottom try an L3 first. It's about $200 less then the GR. The GR is more versatile though.
I'm dying to try the LaChapell!!...way out of my price range though

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search