The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
UA1176/Chandler Germanium Compressor/LTD-2/Distressor HELP!!! ;) Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

UA1176/Chandler Germanium Compressor/LTD-2/Distressor HELP!!! ;)

i need a good "first/only" compressor for vocal recording, mixing
vocals & drums/drumbus and other stuff

i am looking for a warm, analog sound, easy to use all-around versatile compressor.

i mix ITB/Pro Tools HD3 Accel, i want to use the compressor on many channels by recording the inserts.

budget 1500-2000 $

these are the ones i had in mind:

UA1176
Chandler Germanium Compressor
Chandler LTD-2
Distressor

or?

i think i will get the chance to test maby 1 or 2, but not all of them

any advice from the pros?

thanks in advance

Outboard i already own: Brent Averill 1073 / SSL4000 E Channelstrip / Bricasti M7
Old 31st October 2007
Lives for gear

A pair of distressors.
Old 31st October 2007

or the 2-1176 is a killer unit. See if you can get both to try for yourself. I own both and I think if I had to choose I'd go 2-1176. It just has more of a sound to me.
Old 31st October 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Angel View Post
i need a good "first/only" compressor for vocal recording, mixing
vocals & drums/drumbus and other stuff

i am looking for a warm, analog sound, easy to use all-around versatile compressor.

i mix ITB/Pro Tools HD3 Accel, i want to use the compressor on many channels by recording the inserts.

budget 1500-2000 $

these are the ones i had in mind:

UA1176
Chandler Germanium Compressor
Chandler LTD-2
Distressor

or?

i think i will get the chance to test maby 1 or 2, but not all of them

any advice from the pros?

thanks in advance

Outboard i already own: Brent Averill 1073 / SSL4000 E Channelstrip / Bricasti M7
All around versatile has to be the Distressor
Old 31st October 2007
Gear Maniac

I've used all 4 you've mentioned and I ened up buying a pair of Chandler germ comp's. The album I'm mixing now they are residing on the drum bus but work awesome for vocal work too.

Matt
Old 31st October 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico View Post
All around versatile has to be the Distressor
Well it was not mentioned at the top but for all around "versatile" I would probably have to go with a Trakker. That would be my first pick actually although I don't have all the comps in question.
Old 1st November 2007
Gear Maniac

I have both an 1176 and a distressor. The Distressor is good all rounder.
Old 1st November 2007
Gear Addict

+1 Chandler Germ Comp, for its versatility.
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbarnum View Post
+1 Chandler Germ Comp, for its versatility.
+2.....
Old 1st November 2007
Lives for gear

go for the distressor or a purple mc77
Old 1st November 2007
Here for the gear

MC77 is working great for me!
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Maniac

I have had a Distressor for a few years and recently got a pair of Germs. The learning curve is higher on the Chandlers, but when you "get it" you'll be glad that you did. They're both excellent, versatile and have "mojo," but I think that when you're really slamming 'em, the Germanium can do clean cleaner and dirty dirtier (especially if you're looking to strap them across the buss).
my $.02.
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Nut

Most of the choices offered so far are well north of $2k for two channels - you did want it (amongst other applications) for the drum bus, right? Give a listen to the Rupert Neve Portico 5043, really a wonderful-sounding compressor. You can use it for tracking one channel at a time and on a sub group or the main stereo bus. The price is right in your range. Some of the other comps listed are also quite nice, but well outside the price range if you need two channels.
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

I work with all your choices every day, except the LTD-2, and really dig them. But it sounds like the Neve Portico 5043 would best fit your parameters. It's musical, flexible and easy to use.
Old 2nd November 2007
Lives for gear

+3 On the Germ Comp. I really want another one...it's the bee's knees on vocals and electric gutiars...it can just about everything, but with some really nice and malable harmonics captured every time. It's always sweet sounding to me.

An alternative though...wait a month and get a pair of linkable Purple Audio Action FET's when they come out. (500 Series MC77's!)

*That's like 1,350 pre lunch box.

Safe Sound Audio is coming out with a stereo version of the P1 that I'm really curious about for a cleaner thing that is versitile in stereo...

A trakker would be my next pick. But getting a pair is expensive.
Old 2nd November 2007
Gear Head

LA4 is my first choice for almost anything. From new units Universal Audio LA3A is very interesting.
Old 4th November 2007
Lives for gear

thank you so much guys

so, i ordered a distressor and a germanium from 2 different shops
on both i have a "30 days money back" warranty.
than i have enough time to check them out.

"Most of the choices offered so far are well north of $2k for two channels - you did want it (amongst other applications) for the drum bus, right? Give a listen to the Rupert Neve Portico 5043"

one good channel works for me, i like the drumbus mono, only kick/snare and bass.
but i will give the portico a try, this one is easy to get overhere. i know where they have one

"An alternative though...wait a month and get a pair of linkable Purple Audio Action FET's when they come out. (500 Series MC77's!)"

sounds interesting, but i need one right now, i have to finish my album in the next 5 weeks!
Old 1st January 2008
Gear Addict

How it turned out?

So Dusty,
how did it turn out? What was the winner?

Quote:
thank you so much guys

so, i ordered a distressor and a germanium from 2 different shops
on both i have a "30 days money back" warranty.
than i have enough time to check them out.

"Most of the choices offered so far are well north of $2k for two channels - you did want it (amongst other applications) for the drum bus, right? Give a listen to the Rupert Neve Portico 5043"

one good channel works for me, i like the drumbus mono, only kick/snare and bass.
but i will give the portico a try, this one is easy to get overhere. i know where they have one

"An alternative though...wait a month and get a pair of linkable Purple Audio Action FET's when they come out. (500 Series MC77's!)"

sounds interesting, but i need one right now, i have to finish my album in the next 5 weeks!
Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Head

What about the Fatso?? You get 2 channels of Compression and a great tape simulator. Great on a drum buss
Old 2nd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneRanger View Post
So Dusty,
how did it turn out? What was the winner?

the winner was the distressor over the chandler
Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
the winner was the distressor over the chandler
so what did you think?? A little feedback on the 2 please

Thanks
Old 2nd January 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorican View Post
so what did you think?? A little feedback on the 2 please

Thanks
Yeah, spill the beans, this is something I'd die to know more about!
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear Addict
..yes, please...
Old 26th February 2008
Lives for gear

How is the distressor on bass compared to an 1176/mc77?
Old 27th August 2008
Lives for gear

I don't believe there is such a thing as "one all-around compressor". They sound too different, depending on whether they are opto, FET, digital, VCA, etc.

It's like asking a painter for one all-around color. Shall we choose, say, brown? And use one color to paint everything?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search