The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Let's slag off some GEAR!!!! Condenser Microphones
Old 15th November 2002
Mindreader

Let's slag off some GEAR!!!!

Slag off some gear here:
Old 15th November 2002
Mindreader

Ok, as you're all slow on the uptake, i'll start off

I know that joe meek is a legend in some circles, but

WHY doesn't ANY of the stuff with his name on seem to EVER end up on ANYTHING when I'm mixing. I keep thinking I SHOULD use it...and then that part/track falls to some other 'thing'

I dunno, just don't get joe meek stuff..

Ok, i think it's CRAP

So there

your go
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Addict

Ok, I think the majority of modern day Neumann's are crap. Boxy, honky crap that gets in the way of most sources. There are too many other nice mics out there to reach for that sound better on just about anything.....
Old 15th November 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

I heard today that the Soundelux 47 and 251 copies are pretty good but just don't have the magic of the better-sounding original mics. This is rumour, not personal experience. OK, they suck.

New shure 57s and 58s suck.

Behringer gear and Marshall mics suck automatically.

Most near-field and mid-field speakers suck.

Distressors are overrated and I hardly use them anymore.

DAT machines suck almost as bad as mini-disc recorders. Total crap.

SSL and Neve desks, for the money they cost, should turn every turd to platinum automatically, so we don't have to mix the damn thing and work at it. So they suck.

Analog tape costs too much. Emtec tape is impossible to get in Europe right now. They suck.

DAWs all suck. No need for a reason; it's inherent and universal.

Howz that for a start?
Old 15th November 2002
Mindreader

Pissing myself already. But you're French, so you slag everything off, including the French (I should know, my business partner is French and so is someone else I'm working with on another production...ok AND i was brought up there for 3 years)

...just to qualify my frog bashing lol

P.S. MARSHALL make microphones!!!!!!! rofl

OH , and while were here, I tried some SPIRIT soundthingy stuff just recently and they REALLY sucked
Old 15th November 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Except, that I'm not French.

Ah, the eternal pissing match between the Frogs and the 'Rosbif' (the Roast Beef in French).

You guys all suck.

Pardon my French.
Old 15th November 2002
Mindreader

rofl, hang on a minute, back to the gear
what the hell are you doing up this late anyway?
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

Hey you forgot the crappiest modern mic manufacturer of all: dfegad AK ****in'G! Now THEY suck big time!!! grggt

What a great thread!!!
Old 15th November 2002
Here for the gear

I think Harman sucks. They seem to take good and reputable companies and 'cheapify' them. JBL & AKG being two examples.

It's what happens when big business sticks it's nose into the music-equipment business.

Salespeople who talk up crap gear really suck in my opinion.

Chris
Old 15th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Digidesign sucks cuz although many of us use their gear, we're still not sure if they got it right due to their history. That sucks.

jon sucks cuz he doesn't like Distressors (j/k jon).

FODA SE TODO MUNDO! heh
Old 15th November 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Almost forgot..

the high price of the Manley SLAM! sucks, because I can't afford it.

dfegad
Old 15th November 2002

Jax,
Don't worry. We can hardly afford to build it!

YOW!

Old 15th November 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

yup, i suck too...like harman (but magazine reviews aside, how DOES the new akg 451 re-issue sound?)
Old 15th November 2002
Gear Nut

Quote:
(but magazine reviews aside, how DOES the new akg 451 re-issue sound?)
Sucks, just like the originals.

(of course, I bought two)
Old 15th November 2002
Lives for gear

If I wasn't laughing so hard I'd say this thread sucks! heh
Old 15th November 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

this thread doesn't suck half as bad as mixing in a mackie d8b does. or a 01V or 02R.

finalizers suck too.

if you all think it's bad now, just imagine how bad we're going to be laying into today's pro stools gear a few years down the road.

heh

dfegad on gear
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

I agree about the new Shure 57s sucking . . . why is that? I mean how hard is it to make one of those?

New Marshall amps suck so hard it's ridiculous. They sound like a mouth full of bees.

Anything that "models" anything bites . . . . those dumbass "modeling" guitar amps that people bring in suck harder then Nikki Dial . . .

Autotune and the fact that people COUNT on it as opposed to making someone sing or play right in the first place . . . sucks beyond belief.

Any "auto correct" anything sucks . . . people that put everything on the beat just because they can cause they own some stupid DAW sucks.

Anytime anyone says "digi . . . . . something" . . . THEY suck!

Pretty much . . . anything digital sucks. The fact that this comment will probably start the same tired old 'digital / analog' debate for the zillionth time, bites.

Drop D bands that try to ACT tough, with singers that bark and try to sound just like the band that came in the day before . . . . REALLY suck. Playing the same Paul Reed Smith with a Mesa amp as the day before. Or Ibanez.

Rap HUGELY sucks . . . and when people call a rap artist a musician . . THAT sucks beyond belief.

MTV and videos ruined MUSIC . . . . so they suck damn near more then anything. Dumbass musicians thinking they are ACTORS in videos . . . . or rap artists in movies, starirng over REAL actors sucks hard. Anyone that says . . . ""this is going to make a great video" while they are recording the song chews dog penis. Or anyone that writes a song "to be a video". Video directors bark because they hire models to act like they give a **** about some dumbass, ugly ass musician in the video. Models that go out with uglyass musicians because they are in some dumbass band suck.

Anyone that owns a sequencer, a sampler and a DAW, though they have no idea where Middle C is on a keyboard calling themselves a "record producer" chews pretty hard

The fact that my business is so slow right now that I have been at Gearslutz constantly the past week being a "know it all" and causing **** . . . sucks too!

Did I leave anyone out? Or did I piss everyone off equally?
*SMILE*

Oh ****! You said "slag off some gear" not slag off some people!

NEVERMIND!
Old 16th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox

New Marshall amps suck so hard it's ridiculous. They sound like a mouth full of bees.
hahahahgrggt

Look at my name.....

Things that sucks?! hmmmm.......my list does not fit this thread rollz
Old 16th November 2002
There is only one

analog sucks.

budweiser sucks.

modern music sucks.

george bush sucks dick cheney.

the world sucks.

oh gear?
new neumann sucks
manley sucks
bombfactory sucks
marshall sucks
gibson sucks
shure sucks
ssl sucks
genelec sucks
mackie sucks
yamama sucks
Old 16th November 2002
Gear Nut

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Knox

Ohhhh...don't even get me started on new Marshalls. AND I HATE NEW MARSHALL CABINETS!!!!!!! They are made of particle board and have those ****-75 watt speakers in em.....dfegad new marshalls....well except for the plexi reissues, they are kinda cool.

Matt
Old 16th November 2002
Gear Maniac

I would have to say the Focusrite Blue range sucks BIG TIME!!!!! The eq has a very abrasive quality in the top end especially. The Focusrite mastering console (controller) is also a shocker. Hardly what you'd call transparent and it looks like a kid's toy. It's chock full of VCAs and hardly what I would describe as high end.

I also hate PCs in general. For the most part you need a PhD in computer science to operate em' and if they crash......you're up **** creek.

I also think Sonic Solutions suck for abandoning us audio guys.

Auto-tune is just nonsence and is single-handedly the main reason why we now have lost the art of performance. I mean they're even using it in live situations!!! What is the world coming to????

The Vestax vinyl cutter was also a great joke.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 16th November 2002
Mindreader

I suck

fuuck
Old 16th November 2002
Mindreader

Actually, I really hate the way that Mac's haven't got their **** together with a proper chip manufacturer to really sort out a killer system

And I hate the lack of drivers of OSX

Hey, who lives in NY. I'm going on Sunday for a week. If anyone wants a fight while i'm there post up your details. I can slag off gear to your face then.
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Bear
I

Auto-tune is just nonsence and is single-handedly the main reason why we now have lost the art of performance. I mean they're even using it in live situations!!! What is the world coming to????
Tony Mantz.
Tony, Yer right but can you even try imagine what ozzy osbornes daughter would have would have sounded like like on Mtv without it? People who say you can't hear autotune didn't hear this thingdfegad
It was phasing and sproingin like a mutha!heh
Peace out
Daniel
Old 16th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Why anyone would bother with Kelly Osborne just astounds me!! She needs Autotune on the Autotune!!
I don't know about you guys, but here in Australia we are experiencing a return to good ol' bands which aren't manufactured and who are not necessarily pretty boys. These guys only know 3 chords and wouldn't know a manuscript if it hit em' in the face. I say who cares?? The choons ROCK!!
AND it's stuff that that can be done live and not be poles apart from the record.

Most of this is happening at an indie level. It has proven to be very refreshing. Earlier this year I was doing a LOT of pop and electronica (which is fine with me) and a little bit of rock, jazz, blues etc. During the year it's almost as if there has been a reversal of this. Mind you the electronic market has become saturated. In time I'm hoping there'll be a culling process and next year there will be more quality.

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah but you're from that magical land that gave us AC freakin' DC!!! grggt
Old 16th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Well bands like Rush aren't exactly slouches.
I also remember years ago a very cool band called Saga. They had a song called "On the Loose", which just blew me away!!!

Having spent a few years in your fine country I was lucky to taste a lot of the local flavors.

I really dug Kim Mitchell, The Tragically Hip and of course The Tea Party.

South Park may be blaming Canada, I think she rocks eh??

Cheers,

Tony Mantz.
Old 16th November 2002

Hutch is from Canada so it can't suck too bad...

What I really think sucks is your Avatar, Tony. It disturbs me.
Old 16th November 2002
Lives for gear

The "Hip's" are pretty cool. But I could not care more for Rush (even though I really liked them as a kid), they're the antithesis of feel and groove and everything I now look for in music. Now, Highway to Hell or Dirty Deeds have all those qualities and a bitchin singer to boot! Where did you live while in the Great White North Tony?

EveAnna, tell Hutch I'll send him a couple of crates of Molson-EX or Canadian in exchange for a Massivo...
Old 16th November 2002

Sorry I have never seen Hutch drink beer.

Canadian Club on occasion though... but not lately actually.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search