The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1073 impedence switch 300 / 1200 ohm
Old 25th October 2007
  #1
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
1073 impedence switch 300 / 1200 ohm

i thought there was a 300 / 1200 switch or some way to change that on the back of a 1073 ... a real one

anyone ?

thank you

john
Old 25th October 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
allencollins's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
i thought there was a 300 / 1200 switch or some way to change that on the back of a 1073 ... a real one

anyone ?

thank you

john

I have a small dpdt type switch on the back of my 1066's
Old 25th October 2007
  #3
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
i found it .. it was hiding ...

i can not wait to try wirh coles 4038 in the 300 position

but another question ... which way is 300 and which is 1200 ... i think i will try the gain test ... i read you get a bit more at 300 .. like 5db

cheers
Old 25th October 2007
  #4
Moderator
 
TonyBelmont's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
mine have no switch at all ...

anyone else have 1073's with no switch ?

cheers
Yes, I have seen units without switches. I believe the 1073's with no switches are preset at 1200 ohms.

A tech told me that a long time ago.
Old 25th October 2007
  #5
Gear Guru
 
jwh1192's Avatar
i see .. left is Lo and right is Hi

hard to get at under the connector ...

here goes ...
Old 25th October 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
thephatboi's Avatar
 

call me weird but I actually like the 300 setting even for modern condensers for vocals, seems thicker and richer to me, if I want it clearer I go for the 1200.
Old 28th February 2011
  #7
Gear Head
 

So... newb question here. Is it just a matter of one sounded different than the other? Or is it something that technically needs to be matched to the mic or system?

If it's just a matter of taste; Which setting do you prefer for what?

Thanks
Old 28th February 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 

On the Chandler TG-2 I've find that the 300 setting will give a brighter sound as well as a gain increase, for a LDC mic it's not always what you want (but can be cool on some applications. For a darker mic like the Coles 4038, this is great.
Old 28th February 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Geoff_T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyccYoung View Post
So... newb question here. Is it just a matter of one sounded different than the other? Or is it something that technically needs to be matched to the mic or system?

If it's just a matter of taste; Which setting do you prefer for what?

Thanks
Hi

It's a matter of impedance matching. Most microphones require the higher 1200ohm impedance and the 8078's 31105 and all the 35 series modules were fixed at that impedance.

If you see a 1073 size module without the switch and the paper labels it's probably a fake.

The 300 ohm setting suits very low impedance microphones and also gives another 6dB gain. But if you plug a higher impedance mic into that setting the sries resistance of the mic works with the 300 ohm to create an attenuator so you are back with the level you started with but a more damped microphone.

Bottom line is to try both settings and see which one you prefer.

Old 1st March 2011
  #10
Gear Addict
 
rob61's Avatar
 

I thought I'd read that you want a 6 to 1 impedence match. If this is the case, the 300 ohm setting would fit a 50 ohm mic?

I recently got the TG-2, and have the Aurora GTQ2, both have the 300 ohm switch. So far, I haven't found a mic I like better with the 300 ohm switched on. I seem to prefer 1200.

Examples of mics I've tried include AKG 414TLII, 451, U-87, TLM170, KM140, SM7B, AEA R-84, UM70s, RE-20, and 421.

So, are there any here that would actually be a good candidate at 300? What about original U-47, M-49 or C-12? Yes, there is a small change in sound, but nothing that I would prefer to the 1200 position so far.
Old 22nd May 2011
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_T View Post
Hi

It's a matter of impedance matching. Most microphones require the higher 1200ohm impedance and the 8078's 31105 and all the 35 series modules were fixed at that impedance.

If you see a 1073 size module without the switch and the paper labels it's probably a fake.

The 300 ohm setting suits very low impedance microphones and also gives another 6dB gain. But if you plug a higher impedance mic into that setting the sries resistance of the mic works with the 300 ohm to create an attenuator so you are back with the level you started with but a more damped microphone.

Bottom line is to try both settings and see which one you prefer.

How about a DI???

What does it do to a DI signal?
I'm using a Avalon U5 for bass that goes out at 150 ohm from the mic level into a BAE 1073 and I have a choice between 300 and 1200 ohm. Just can't decide what is best or suitable.
Old 22nd May 2011
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slybass3000 View Post
How about a DI???

What does it do to a DI signal?
I'm using a Avalon U5 for bass that goes out at 150 ohm from the mic level into a BAE 1073 and I have a choice between 300 and 1200 ohm. Just can't decide what is best or suitable.

Whatever sounds best when mixed with the other tracks.
Old 22nd May 2011
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
theBF's Avatar
 

The general rule of thumb for mics is that they don't want to be loaded heavily. This means don't ask the little amp inside the mic. To produce a lot of power. So the way to guarantee that is make impedance that they connect to be 10 times higher than the mics. Output impedance.

If you load the amp heavier than that each mic. Will react a little different but generally you will hear reduced highs and lows as this where the mics preamp has to work the hardest . So this can make some material sound warmer as the highs reduce and bass material can get thinner as the lows reduce.

The other thing that happens is distortion goes up on the high level signals. But with tube mics that can sometimes be the sound you want!

That's the theory, the rest is up to your ears to decide.

BF
Old 18th August 2016
  #14
Gear Addict
 
Zoot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thephatboi View Post
call me weird but I actually like the 300 setting even for modern condensers for vocals, seems thicker and richer to me, if I want it clearer I go for the 1200.
This.

I do not think you are weird at all. I only use 300ohms, now, and have for years. It sounds super dope, thick and muddy like vintage 1073s. I didn't buy 14 channels of BAE 1073 to have clean tracks. I want thick distortion, and lots of it. I keep all of my channels set to 300. It sounds incredible. Thumbs up.
Old 18th August 2016
  #15
Here for the gear
 
tomrandresen's Avatar
I use 300 for guitars and bass and 1200 for vocals.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
blackcom / High End
12
blackcom / So Much Gear, So Little Time
16
blackcom / So Much Gear, So Little Time
7
Dog_Chao_Chao / So Much Gear, So Little Time
1
snedley / So Much Gear, So Little Time
5

Forum Jump
Forum Jump